Discussing future base shields

I suggest that players build modular shields for their bases, just like Rubik's Cube, surrounded by shields in all directions, but the shield durability of each area is calculated separately, and the shield has the function of identification. People in the organization can traverse at will, and the weapons of the people inside the organization can also pass through the shield to attack the enemies outside the shield. The enemy's ships cannot pass through the shield and will be blocked. The enemy's weapons cannot pass through the shield. Will be blocked. The strength of the shield at the player base is very high. The durability of the shield recovers quickly when the power is sufficient. Only a lot of spacecraft can fire at the same time to cause damage to the shield. When the durability of the shield is less than 30% At this time, the enemy's weapon can penetrate the shield, but the enemy's spacecraft still cannot penetrate the shield. When the durability of the shield is less than 15%, the enemy spacecraft can directly penetrate the shield to enter the interior, and try to occupy the base. During the process of their spacecraft crossing the shield, if the shield is not attacked, Or the strength of the attack is not enough, and the shield strength will recover to more than 20% within 8 to 10 seconds. At this time, the shield will become impenetrable, and the spacecraft may be stuck on the shield and cannot be rid of it. , Or may be blocked by the shield and unable to advance. If you want to rescue your teammates, you need many ships to attack the shields at the same time, or find the total power to destroy the base, so you can turn off all the shields at once.

MAXD

Veteran endo
Most people who don't want shield think shields are boring. But in fact we can have different kinds of shields or more rules about them too.
Shield can be an interesting thing either. I hope we can have a shield different from other games.XD

quantin

Well-known endo
I'd rather have a ship shield to protect myself.I think the station will have a safe zone to no fire what might happen.

Burnside

Master endo
Looks like he has localized damage illustrated in his description. A rubiks cube has 9 squares on a side.
that's just a segmented HP pool, it's the difference between a taco and a taco salad
What about shields that become smaller as they loose HP, exposing parts of the base that can destroy and/or pillaged
we've had this one mentioned before, it's one of the more interesting shield depletion mechanics that doesn't rely strictly on dropping a rechargeable HP pool to zero

It doesn't need to be an HP pool. And armor is a glorified HP pool too. SO I don't really get your problem with it.

Burnside

Master endo
Armor is either nonessential HP and/or damage reduction in most cases, sometimes it's used as hit mitigation, shields are a regenerating HP pool and/or damage reduction and/or hit mitigation, depending on the mechanical flavor of a system. Having two mechanics too closely related works well for simple games but falls flat when the game is about emergent complexity. Making shields more than just armor 2.0 that eats power is kind of an important idea.

I tend to think the idea I posted is a fun way to have shields without them being an HP pool. It also allows a wide array of customization.