Do you think the ship market between players will be established?

Learned-to-sprint endo
I have played Space Engineers and Empyrion in the past.
In survival mode I rarely used the work of others present in the workshop.

Although I have the ambition to mass produce ships at SB.
When I think of SE and Empyrion, I think it's a bit doubtful that the economy will succeed.

Can SB really establish a market for ships?
Would the player try to DIY every ship?

XenoCow

Master endo
Already, the devs have put two player designed ships up for sale in the station shops. That's not really what you meant, though.

I think that the market will depend on the popularity of the game. As more people join in, more players will not want to build their own ships due to the complexity required for excellent ships. Until then, I imagine that most players joining have enough experience with these kinds of games to build their own ships.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Yeah, just as XecoCow said. Not in CA, but when the game goes public, people will be buying ships from others everywhere because most people won't put up with the 8-hour hassle of designing a ship themselves.

Quinc

Well-known endo
Players share a single huge game world, and the developers are putting a greater focus on trading in general, and designing your own ship seems to be particularly difficult in this game, so I think it would be more likely that a given player would opt to buy something somebody else created. SE and Empyrion are more focused on individuals and small groups and thus encourage an independent mindset. On the other hand creating your own ship is a huge feature of the game, just like SE and Empyrion. So there will also be a lot of people who want to do it themselves whether it is practical or not, and taking great pride if they can get their design to work. A lot of factions will want their own signature designs, so members will be flying designs that came from within the same faction. It is hard to say for sure, but I think you will see both.

I've been working on my current ship since a month before I got into CA, and I was one of the first people to get in. Its still not done. Been working on it for hundreds of hours now, lol. Its a big ship, but still, making ships is a huge time investment.

I've been working on my current ship since a month before I got into CA, and I was one of the first people to get in. Its still not done. Been working on it for hundreds of hours now, lol. Its a big ship, but still, making ships is a huge time investment.
How huge will this beast be and what are its features?

28 weapons, 20k eps, 50 meters long, 4 decks, 8 remote turrets, full bridge and engineering rooms, respawns (when implemented), armory, resource storage, nav system. Thats what i have so far.

28 weapons, 20k eps, 50 meters long, 4 decks, 8 remote turrets, full bridge and engineering rooms, respawns (when implemented), armory, resource storage, nav system. Thats what i have so far.
Well... Remind me to get on your good side if and when I get closed alpha lol

Azelous

Veteran endo
Depends on how people share ship designs. If people have access to tons of free designs, such as through Steam workshop, it will be a very small economy, consisting only of people looking for and selling prebuilt and/or unique ships.

Learned-to-sprint endo
What will be the form of sales of Blueprints?
Is it possible to arbitrarily set restrictions on modification, copying, number of uses, and royalties?

Is it possible to arbitrarily set restrictions on modification, copying, number of uses, and royalties?
No, not at the moment.

Depends on how people share ship designs. If people have access to tons of free designs, such as through Steam workshop, it will be a very small economy, consisting only of people looking for and selling prebuilt and/or unique ships.
The steam workshop won't be hosting the blueprints, and currently the only method of sharing is person to person in a shared instance of the ship designer.

Learned-to-sprint endo
I think quality control is an important factor in establishing a market.
Without the user's product review and the method of sending a report from the user to the manufacturer, the quality of the product cannot be maintained at a certain level, so in the worst case, it will be Atari Shock Simulator.
Are there any plans to implement these?

CalenLoki

Master endo
I think quality control is an important factor in establishing a market.
Without the user's product review and the method of sending a report from the user to the manufacturer, the quality of the product cannot be maintained at a certain level, so in the worst case, it will be Atari Shock Simulator.
Are there any plans to implement these?
I've never seen that idea before - a built-in way of contacting ship creator.
But even if it's not implemented by devs, you can just install text panel with contact information and reward people who sends valuable feedback with discounts on future versions.

Quinc

Well-known endo
I would imagine that blueprints have the creator's name attached to them, and that there will be a messaging service.
At the very least we need something to prevent copying and limit the number of uses for a blueprint economy. The feature videos show the player projecting station blueprints and filling in the projection with the repair tool. They mentioned there will be something similar for ships, and you will be able to use blueprint projections for repair.

How I would do it: A player can produce and trade "Blank Blueprint" and "Construction Assist Projectors" as physical objects/parts. With the blueprint in hand you can open a window where you select a ship editor save file, a number of "Repair Runs" and "Production Runs". You can do this only once per item. The C.A.P. has a slot for the Blueprint and a data port. Using YOLOL or the device fields you can adjust the position of the projection. The projection of course matches the ship editor save file in the Blueprint. If the projection touches actual parts it will adjust position and match with them, snapping in place. You can then "Lock" the C.A.P. Any real parts that are matched with the blueprint will be locked in place. If over 50% of the parts in the projection have a physical match it will count as a repair run, under 50% a production run. When locked the CAP will subtract a run from the Blueprint. When locked the CAP, Blueprint, and every matched part will become completely immovable. Then you can fill in the projected parts with the repair tool, bolts with the boltgun, etc. When the matched parts reach 100% it "Unlocks," you can also manually Unlock it if you need to move it. However re-locking it, starting again in a different stop consumes another run.

five

Master endo
I have played Space Engineers and Empyrion in the past.
In survival mode I rarely used the work of others present in the workshop.

Although I have the ambition to mass produce ships at SB.
When I think of SE and Empyrion, I think it's a bit doubtful that the economy will succeed.

Can SB really establish a market for ships?
Would the player try to DIY every ship?
If the ships your company is selling are the best at their job and it's known in space that your company has for example the most maneuverable small fighter I think people will come to buy them. Especially factions who are focusing on combat will buy military fighters: either they will mass-produce their own or they will buy a blue print for a certain fighter from another company or every pilot is allowed to build his own personalized fighter. I personally have the goal to manufacture a small fighter that is feared by its competitiors