Doctors in space.

Unlucky

Hello Everyone.

I just wanted to swing in and drop my two cents about a feature I'd like to see. I looked through the FAQ and didn't see anything close so it may or may not be original.

I would like to see the implementation of a 'medical system'. When I say 'medical system' I mean something akin to what is currently in Altis Life. For example:

>Joe is mining asteroids.
>Joe gets his arm caught in an ore grinder. Or whatever. He is 'incapacitated' as a result.
>In this state, Joe is 'bleeding out' and has the option of a) Respawning at the nearest station OR b) Activating an emergency locating transmitter.
>Joe goes with option B and an ELT signal is sent out to the appropriate repeaters.
>Billy is at nearby station and receives a notice that Joe is incapacitated 2,420 meters away and decides to respond.
>Joe is notified that Billy is enroute and is able to track his distance progress.
>Billy jumps in his ship and flies out, finds Joe and 'resuscitates' him, and receives a sum of credits from the nearest AI controlled station as a thanks for clearing their airspace of corpses.

I like the system in Altis and think it'll be a good fit here. Not only encouraging community interaction, but also providing purpose and something to do for people who enjoy that sort of thing.

Lemme know what ya think.

Tumbla

Well-known endo
I see one problem with this, robots dont bleed. Maybe leak fuels?

Also i think the credits would have to be paid from the person who requested the medic, that way it adds to the economy and credits dont just spawn out of thin air.

Unlucky

Also i think the credits would have to be paid from the person who requested the medic, that way it adds to the economy and credits dont just spawn out of thin air.
Sure. Leak fuel, short circuit, have his arms get ripped off leaving behind nothing but sparking stumps. However you'd like to display the 'incapacitated' status.

Who pays the credits, how many credits, whether you get paid at all, etc. I'll leave to developer discretion as they know their game better than I do when it comes to balance. I will say that I'd like to encourage disabled robots to utilize the 'medic' service as much as possible. Not having to pay and finding a different sink for those credits would definitely be a step in the right direction IMO.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Ripped of arm, or even all the limbs and head, don't incapacitate anyone. Only damage to torso.

But I agree with the core parts of your suggestion:
-ability to "revive" downed player,
-to inform surrounding players that you need help (emergency beacon, dead man talkin, ect).
-to transfer credits to other players

As simple as possible. No need for any advanced centralised payment system.

Unlucky

Ripped of arm, or even all the limbs and head, don't incapacitate anyone. Only damage to torso.
Ah I apologize if my original post is a bit unclear. By 'incapacitate' I quite literally mean the player is in a downed status as a result of sustaining enough damage to kill them. How this is displayed visually to the player (Ie. a scorched body, missing limbs) in this downed status can be established whatever way.. it's purely for storytelling purposes.

My suggestion is only concerning game mechanics, specifically:
> Entering a 'downed' state instead of straight up dying
> Having the option to respawn OR call for help
> If you call for help, players will be able to see a visual indicator of your position and have the ability to 'revive' you
> Medic gets paid by some entity.

Burnside

Master endo
Each limb gets a power/lube "bleed timer", more damage to the limb, or more bits blown off, means a shorter timer until the limb goes dead. A building tool can be used with a "smart-patch" material/alloy to stop the timer at which point the Endo can decide to get the limb repaired/replaced in a longer "medic" process or fight on. Endos can also use self-adhesive patches embedded with smart-patch material that slowly repairs the limb. This provides functionality to "cosmetic damage" that isn't enough to destroy a limb or blow off sections of it, but starts the bleed timer. Once a limb bleeds out it remains nonfunctional until recharged or replaced. As a limb loses its Bleed Timer, the endo suffers a proportional reduction in their move speed and, for arms, begin to suffer aiming lag (each fully functional arm, torso, or head provides 25% to aim lag and all limbs provide 20% to move speed, the head and torso each provide 50% to jetpack speed).

Example Bleed Timer and Modifiers
Base Bleed Timer: 3 minutes
Additional Cosmetic Damage: -1 second per point of damage
Hand Destroyed: -40sec
Forearm Destroyed: -120sec, cumulative with hand destruction
Upper Arm Assembly Destroyed: N/A, limb is destroyed, busted housing must be removed in order to replace missing limb

Example Repair Times
Smart-Patch: 1 unit of material per point of damage, spray application repairs 1 point of damage per three-seconds, patch application repairs 1 point of damage every eight seconds and will expend 1 unit of material every eight seconds regardless if there's any damage to repair (when struck for damage a "smart-patch patch" is destroyed).
Limb Power/Coolant [LPC] Recharge: it takes one second to replace three seconds of bleed timer with a ship-based recharge kiosk, up to one minute for a fully depleted but otherwise intact limb. An endoskeleton can equip an expendable LPC pack in a limb/torso slot to passively top-up their limb, recharging one second of timer every three seconds, which can stave off bleed-out or allow an endo to more quickly get back into combat without waiting at a recharge station. "Medically-inclined" endos can also equip an LPC pump to their arm/tool slot which allows them to consume LPC packs from their inventory to recharge other endos' bleed timers on a 1sec:1sec basis.
Limb Repair: smart-patch material is less durable than parts on a standard endoskeleton and is especially vulnerable to explosives, such as from the Whiplash, and proper repair job is time-consuming, taking about 20sec per point of damage repaired as "Doc-Endo" hunts down error logs and makes proper repairs or replacements to the limb's sub-assemblies, an experienced Doc can perform such repairs faster than the average endo, and an overclock booster helps anyone cut down on the time and tedium.
Limb Replacement: when you have spare limbs laying around, a partial or full replacement is often the faster choice than an on-site repair, though the replacements may only come stocked in one style and color; a hand takes 60sec to remove or install, a forearm 45sec, a shoulder 120sec, times listed do not consider whether or not any lower extremities are present, so replacing a full limb will always take two minutes to remove/attach regardless of whether there is a forearm and/or hand attached to it.
Plug-and-Play Limb Replacement: while 10% less durable (lowered HP and 162sec base bleed timer) than normal limbs, plug-and-play components take half as much time to install, repair, or replace.
Overbuilt Limb Replacement: while Overbuilt parts take twice as long to install, repair, or replace, they have +20% durability (bonus HP and 216sec bleed timer), AND have a doubled LPC recharge rate from packs, Doc pumps, or kiosks.

Last edited:

Unlucky

@Burnside
As far as a full medical system, this is something I'd love to see make it into the game some day!

I do have a few suggestions of my own that coincide with your proposed system.
> The body will be segregated into the head, torso, and extremities each with their own damage threshold and 'durability'.
> There will be one combined health pool (think of it as the blood in your body)

As the robo takes damage, whatever body part is being hit will lose 'durability' and they will be afflicted with a 'bleeding' status that drains from the overall health pool.
> If the head or chest durability reaches 0 = The robo enters a 'downed' state and needs to be revived
> If 1 arm reaches 0 = can only wield 1 handed weapons. Lose both arms = cannot operate anything
> If 1 leg reaches 0 = 50% movement speed reduction. Lose both legs = 100% movement speed reduction
> As the overall health pool decreases from 100% - 0% , the robo's vision will begin to darken at the edges and blur (akin to an electronic slowly losing power) until 0% is reached and they enter a 'downed' state and need to be revived.

This system will allow for a wide array of new items and interactions. For example:
> IFAKs (Your 'smart-patch') - Remove bleeding status and slowly regenerate health pool
> Limb replacement - Replace dead limbs; I like the variety you proposed (Cannot replace head/torso)
> Nano-gel applicator (Your mobile LPC pump) - Equipped by medically trained robos; can slowly replenish durability of all body parts that aren't completely dead and slowly replenish health pool.
> Robo AED - Revives 'downed' robo, they regain 5% of their health pool, torso and head durability
> Regen chamber (Your ship based LPC station) - Can perform function of the nano-gel applicator at a faster rate

Burnside

Master endo
Only problem I see with a unified health pool and bleed value is how limb/head destruction relies on segregated parts. It all comes down to what provides good performance and the best gameplay. The timer and repair values I listed as examples are fast but long enough to dissuade CoD style run n gun gameplay, but even those might be too long for the sake of gamplay value.

Unlucky

The trick is definitely to find a balance between intuitive, fun mechanics and complexity. Which is why I think most titles don't touch medical systems or limit it to 'Revive' and 'Throw medpack'. Starbase may provide the tools to create but I would like to do something with those creations. My biggest fear for this game is that the experience will devolve into 'make a ship for the sake of making a ship', when I really just want to create with a purpose. That's why I feel that expanding the simulation to include things like medical systems are important.

As a side note I'm not worried at all about TTK. That can be fixed by changing the number next to a modifier. It'll just take testing to find out what feels good.

But then they should also implement robot fuel for the robot