EXPLOSIVE BOLTS

I have an idea for [EXPLOSIVE BOLTS] so a real life example is when it is used in rocket separation and staging and so in starbase I’m thinking it would be extremely handy to have a feature like this added to the game for various reasons. And how I’m thinking a feature like this be added is via a variation or separate bolt tool combined with a yolo chip system so you are able to colorcode different bolts and for example having a booster rocket you needed to detach when attempting launching from a planet so how you would set this up you would use bolts with a color code of your choice say for instance a specific hue of dark blue and you would have these bolts linked to a yolo chip in your tool and you could say these specific color of bolts would be link either to a button press on keyboard or a typed command on your universal tool and since you would most likely want to set off said explosive bolts via a ship console , being able to take said yolochip out of your tool and being able to put it into a device with a yolo chip slot , (probably a smaller device then a normal yolochip , about the size of a keycard or slightly bigger) and being able to link said device to a ship button or lever and being able to set off explosive bolt via a button on your cockpit ( another exclaimer is that if said explosive bolts get shot it should only be a visual explosion and not have actual explosion physics and should only simply delete the bolt that is color coded and also if damaged should not set off other bolts ) but the last part up for debate

XenoCow

Master endo
I like where some of this is going. Particularly the color coding concept. Perhaps instead of having to be individually addressed via YOLOL, there could be a small device, much like the keycard size YOLOL chip you mentioned, that is the radio hub for the chips. This device would be able to pick which bolts it will detonate via a selection field and then have a detonate field. So, a button could switch the detonate field from 0 to 1, causing the bolts of the selected color to be detonated.

Additionally, I think that there's no reason to limit the explosive bolts to being only deletion of the bolts. Why not also allow them to be actual explosives? This could be another option in the controller device "detonationMode" or something. This would be very helpful for traps, setting off warheads, or for controlled destruction of plates (maybe for canopy destruction before ejection).

That’s why you have remote explosives actually having them for detonating traps seems kinda cheap because you wouldn’t really be able to spot them vs an actual remote explosive / c4 also with canopy destruction you wouldn’t want the canopy exploding into debris that kills you also leads to in unwanted chain explosions if damaged also you wouldn’t have to individually address the bolts just the specific color hue in which acts as like a grouping of bolts that you can set off via a command / button press

It wouldn’t make sense to have a toggle able setting to where they would actually do explosive damage vs just a visual effect , in real life they tend to be just powerful enough to separate parts (as to not damage the rocket it’s separating from also, also they would only do one way vs the other and I would be far easier to just have a visual effect as well and less , complicated

CalenLoki

Master endo
There is similar idea I prefer instead: device that bolts/unbolts itself when asked by yolol.
I prefer it because
1. it allows both attaching and detaching stuff
2. it's big enough device to have it's own data fields and cable socket, so it's consistent with current general ship building system.
Explosive bolts would require remote explosives code + multiple frequencies. So much more new code and logic.

Original post by mrchip:
https://discordapp.com/channels/423790999052222464/590464706548989952/816632222009393182

There is similar idea I prefer instead: device that bolts/unbolts itself when asked by yolol.
I prefer it because
1. it allows both attaching and detaching stuff
2. it's big enough device to have it's own data fields and cable socket, so it's consistent with current general ship building system.
Explosive bolts would require remote explosives code + multiple frequencies. So much more new code and logic.

Original post by mrchip:
https://discordapp.com/channels/423790999052222464/590464706548989952/816632222009393182
The EXPLOSIVE BOLTS are meant to be a stand alone tool not meant for constant attaching and detaching. just for specific detaching solutions , and what I suggest in not a tool that unbolts and bolts via yolo is a system for docking clams and so on and I think once they add manufacturing update the robot arms should be sufficient for automated bolting and unbolting