Factories?

NoName

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
So through the game play reveal trailers and other Starbase videos we know that there will be robot arms that are capable of using the bolt tool/gun. We have also been shown a factory of sorts for ship parts (in the YOLOL game play video).

We also will have a tool that will show weather our ships are space worthy or not (durability tool). In the same Tool video it was stated that there will be mountable versions of a few of the tools (like the bolt tool for example) that can be placed on mounted robot arms.

My question (or I guess I hope is a better fit) is this: Will we be able to mount the durability tool to robot arms and somehow be able to code a factory/robot arm to be able to bolt our ships for us? Perhaps if this is possible even make our own spaceship factories that would be able to mass produce ship frames/skeletons?

NoName

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Oh just for some more context, I was thinking of this because of how many bolts are shown on ships every time a ship is shown in the Starbase videos. Obviously if someone plans on building one ship and keeping it alive as long as possible this would be fine. But lets say you design a sleek fighter that you/your group want to mass produce and want to be able to easily make again because y'all get into lots of fights. If that is the case (essentially any primarily PvP focused group might run into this problem) and you care more about functionality over form and want/need to quickly make ships I could see the whole need to bolt every piece of your ship together bit getting rather tiresome/tedious.

P.S. I do not see the "buy the prebuilt ship frames (which does seem to be an option so far) as a valid option. Mostly because plenty of people will end up making their ships they view as optimal (PvP groups at least) and I don't think forcing them to essentially use someone else's ship frame is a good idea.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
I'm going to assume No to your first question.. The idea of a Factory is to create it after you created and designed a ship. The process is so bloody complex that a small tiny scooter is like 200-300 parts.

So I would assume no and honestly I really don't see the need to.

CalenLoki

Master endo
To be honest if rebuilding an already designed ship (so boring repetitive grind) takes more then 10 times more than time to kill (so interesting combat gameplay), the game will get boring really quick.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
Hopefully we'll be able to establish assembly lines, but I'm going to assume we'll have to assemble individual components separately and there will be no universal production facility for ships.
Eg; one factory only builds hulls, one shipyard has to put it all together.

Azelous

Veteran endo
I expect automated ship building to be possible, but being very, very time consuming to actually achieve. The variables on robotic arm manipulation are going to need to be fine tuned, which will probably take a significant amount of time in itself.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
I expect automated ship building to be possible, but being very, very time consuming to actually achieve. The variables on robotic arm manipulation are going to need to be fine tuned, which will probably take a significant amount of time in itself.
Yeah it's for sure going be a masterpiece honestly. Once people have something even "small" like for a scooter I think it alone will make amazing screenshots / videos of the complexity.

Morrgard

Master endo
I do hope there is a way to mass-produce ships.. I would not want to build my ships over and over again. Id like to automate it by factory or so (the construction process)

CalenLoki

Master endo
I hope for at least blueprint chips.
Even if they are simple list of numbers that can be plugged into Yolol script. Something like data storage chip, but with each line containing all the information about part type and placement. Ordered automatically either from middle or bottom left forward corner.

You'd still need to build and program the whole assembly and supply with parts.
Writing all that data by hand in normal data chips would be a bit way too tedious.

Example:
Line 467, beam a7, position 25,768,5, rotation 0.5,0.3,0.2
Line 468, bolt, possition x,y,z. Rotation x,y,z.