Fan made starbase construction demo

Marki

Active endo
This simple construction demo makes waiting for the release date a bit easyer.

Short demonstration video

Note: Both versions are for Windows 64bit only!

Dropbox download link release: 14-Okt-2019
Updated original v2.4 demo.

-Minor UI improvements
-Updated beam models and textures, these are the new official models and textures.
-Added extra placement points and "placement helpers?...".
-Smooth object placement and rotation, this is optional it can be turned off in the new settings screen.
-Default grid can now be enabled/disabled in the settings screen.
-Beam auto rotation.
-No plates in this version.
-FPV character mode, walk inside your creations, very usefull for building ships to scale.

-Fixed save/load, it now creates a new save folder if there is none, thanks for the report!
It is recommended that you delete any old saves(if you have them :p) and start over.

Please read all the info before you download the link below,
Dropbox download link release: 11-Sept-2019
This version includes:

-Minor UI improvements
-Updated beam models and textures, these are the new official models and textures.
-Redesigned building system, from point-click-spawn(old demo version) to spawn-drag-stick.
-Smooth object placement and rotation, this is optional it can be turned off in the new settings screen.
-Object auto rotation, only straight beams and armor plates can use this and it can also be turned off in the settings screen.
-Nolfinkol's Armor plates, the angled plates need more work so these are not included in this version.
-FPV character mode, walk inside your creations, very usefull for building ships to scale.

There are a few problems with it:

-The new build system is...very sensitive, it can be hard to build annything sometimes, switching auto rotate and auto snap(auto stick) on or off helps sometimes.
-The positions of the new blocks are a bit different compared to the old version, this makes old saves slightly useless.

-The save load function can still be buggy sometimes, if you can't save your progress make sure that you have a folder called Save inside
C:\Users\insert username\AppData\LocalLow\DefaultCompany\starbase beams\
replace "insert username" with your own username
If you don't have a Save folder, create a new folder and name it Save, this should fix the problem.

Because of some personal problems IRL, updating and releasing new features will need more time, this is also the reason why the new version feels a bit rushed and unpolished and in some areas still unfinished, and it's one of the reasons why i decided to upload two versions of the demo.

I will still do my best to help with any problems that i can, as best as i can, so don't be shy and ask for help if you need it!

The demo is a work in progress, try it out and let me know if you have any problems, questions, suggestions or annything else.

Thanks for trying it out and for all the awesome positive responses.

-Mark

Last edited:

Variabug

Well-known endo
I don't know how accurate this is. There are apparently a lot of angles that can be done in terms of building. It looks like the beginning of a design tester though. Overall pretty good job for just guessing.

Marki

Active endo
I don't know how accurate this is. There are apparently a lot of angles that can be done in terms of building. It looks like the beginning of a design tester though. Overall pretty good job for just guessing.
The current construction version isn't the same as starbase's, it's not even close, the next demo release should be about 80-90% accurate from what i could gather from the videos.

would be great if it could automatically rotate itself so that it always is connected, and does not spawn in like this
(great work tho ^^ )
Screenshot_7.png

Marki

Active endo
would be great if it could automatically rotate itself so that it always is connected, and does not spawn in like this
(great work tho ^^ ) View attachment 116
Yes, it would be great, and it will be added at some point, i just decided to focus on the more important features and functions, to make a proper editor first and add the rest later, tho i am working on something similar so who knows, maby next release?

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
Yes, it would be great, and it will be added at some point, i just decided to focus on the more important features and functions, to make a proper editor first and add the rest later, tho i am working on something similar so who knows, maby next release?
Thanks for working on this its amazing work!

Marki

Active endo
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, really, it's giving me more energy to work on the project and to keep improving it!

Morrgard

Master endo
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, really, it's giving me more energy to work on the project and to keep improving it!
Glad to hear this, always nice when the community engages into projects like this :) Keep it going, it's really nice and helpful