Forum suggestions? Post it to this thread!

Vloshko

Well-known endo
I think the like and dislike button only serve to represent multiple people backing or condemning a specific point of view. Unlike Reddit, forums take a lot of vertical space (especially with signatures), making a very long read. I personally really don't like having a like or dislike button, but it would simplify communication on the forums if I could just like someone's comment instead of making my own to show that I agree with them. I would only add likes, as dislikes can create a war where two sides try to dislike each other into ground.
I agree.

EllaFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
Removing the likes is still bit of a work in progress/under consideration. Plan was to get rid of all likes and the counters on the Members list, but apparently there is no easy way to delete already given likes.

We'll look into bringing likes back and just removing the counter from the members list. Dislike option is not coming to normal messages, but we'll see it they'd be a good idea in game suggestions. // Edit: Just realized that there was a poll about this, let's see what you people say there. (Link: https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/buttons.280/ )
---
Does anyone else feel like 120 seconds is too long of a cooldown between messages? I feel like it is the time that it takes me to read the message I just posted + moving to a next thread and to think about something meaningful to say. Can be decreased if it feels like too much, let me hear those opinions!
---
As for the ranks, we are looking into these.

Last edited:

Vexus

Master endo
Likes are still possible inside the profile comments currently, so if the issue was the actual liking... it's still a thing in play currently.

The "Like button" was useful, and lets people just click-and-go without feeling the need to add their own random thought that varies slightly. It's a good feature overall. I understand the desire to not have a 'rankings' for that, but it seems like a non-issue and I have to laugh a little imagining if the counter was deemed a real issue to be solved. Post count for example has always been a valued-by-some-and-extremely-irrelevant part of forum warrior culture since forever yet people seek out post counts and there's not much to be done about that either - I doubt post count is going to be hidden. When I see someone with 1000 posts in a game forum... do they even play the game? This is about the most forum posting I've done in at least a decade outside bug reports - simply because I can't play yet!

A "dislike" option for suggestions... I wonder if that adds any value. Something with likes is generally always going to be more desired, where the "dislike" is simply implied by there being no "likes" on the post. No need to point out the obvious and double-down that no one likes someone's suggestion. If something is good and you guys are wondering if players really like it, a dev-made poll could be used to get a feel from the larger audience over a longer period of time.

I haven't run into the 120 second restriction, and these are forums, so it at the minimum will keep out some eventual spam, and at the most will frustrate someone rapidly posting short comments for forum warrior-ing. I think it's fine considering the other available outlets of communication and that forums should be focused more for preserving longer and more detailed topics.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Can we get rid of post count ranking in the form of members titles? It bring nothing and encourage spam.

120 seconds seems like a bit much. Is there any way to make it a bit more complex? Like each post adds 150 to your spam-meter, and you can't post if it's over 120. So you can reply twice within short period of time, but further spamming is reduced.

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
120 seconds seems a lot of those doing burst replies during a lunch, etc. Xenforo had at least decent spam cleaning tools. If your worried about a mass spam it should be easy as 1-2-3 to clean it up.

Azelous

Veteran endo
Perhaps a system where higher ranked people on the forums have access to lower delay between messages. I have yet to run into a need to post more than every other minute, I generally spend more than that reading the forum and crafting a response. If people are having faster conversations, perhaps it would be better they used a different platform.

As for ranks.. it does seem a bit odd. There’s no (known to me) documentation on it. Gives the appearance that the haves are just lucky. Anyone can add their own signature, but the appearance of a title where rank should be gives the impression of being backed by the devs.

Morrgard

Master endo
Removing the likes is still bit of a work in progress/under consideration. Plan was to get rid of all likes and the counters on the Members list, but apparently there is no easy way to delete already given likes.

We'll look into bringing likes back and just removing the counter from the members list. Dislike option is not coming to normal messages, but we'll see it they'd be a good idea in game suggestions. // Edit: Just realized that there was a poll about this, let's see what you people say there. (Link: https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/buttons.280/ )
---
Does anyone else feel like 120 seconds is too long of a cooldown between messages? I feel like it is the time that it takes me to read the message I just posted + moving to a next thread and to think about something meaningful to say. Can be decreased if it feels like too much, let me hear those opinions!
---
As for the ranks, we are looking into these.
I'm completely fine with 120 seconds, same as you I take my time reading posts, replying and moving to the next thread, takes me 120 seconds 95% of the time, I barely ever encounter the timer. Besides as a spam protection tool it does it's work that way too even if Xenforo offers some other solutions that may be better, might as well have both if they do not interfere with each other.

The like option is good for quickly communicating your agreement. The dislike command is silly IMO. if you have a problem with their posts or opinion give them a reason why.

the 120 second feels fine to me, I have yet to encounter any issue with it.

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
A 2 minute timer on posting is long by most forums standards. Something Awful operates on the order of 10 seconds (to prevent outright spamming), the WoW forums are 60 seconds. Most other forums are on 60 seconds or less.

I'm still voting for a dislike button though, Blizzard uses them, Paradox uses them, and a lot of other places have begun using them, because if someone wants to flame a post, the dislike button is a good way of having an alternate outlet, and it gives people a good aggregate idea of how good/bad a post is.

Morrgard

Master endo
A 2 minute timer on posting is long by most forums standards. Something Awful operates on the order of 10 seconds (to prevent outright spamming), the WoW forums are 60 seconds. Most other forums are on 60 seconds or less.

I'm still voting for a dislike button though, Blizzard uses them, Paradox uses them, and a lot of other places have begun using them, because if someone wants to flame a post, the dislike button is a good way of having an alternate outlet, and it gives people a good aggregate idea of how good/bad a post is.
I think one of the main concerns is that having a dislike button may cause multiple users to just spam dislike on many posts for no particular reason (abusing it) and that it serves no real purpose, as to typing constructively what you disagree with rather than disliking posts.

As for those who need an outlet and do it in a negative or aggressive manner I'm fairly sure those posts would be appropriately handled according to the ruleset given to us on the forum.

Azelous

Veteran endo
Allow members to quote locked forums. Currently not possible to quote forum patch notes or forum rules.

EllaFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
Allow members to quote locked forums. Currently not possible to quote forum patch notes or forum rules.
Noted, we'll see if it is possible to add this option. It is a bit odd at the moment as you can still manually quote the post if you know the post number and the member number.

Azelous

Veteran endo
Noted, we'll see if it is possible to add this option. It is a bit odd at the moment as you can still manually quote the post if you know the post number and the member number.
Yeah, that’s what I ended up doing, just copying the link on the post number.

Tumbla

Well-known endo
Dev tracker Module:

A Tracker that is like the "latest threads/replies" on the main forum page but instead it shows official threads started by devs or their posts, to see which convos devs are apart of.

Saltylelele

Well-known endo
I think the like and dislike button only serve to represent multiple people backing or condemning a specific point of view. Unlike Reddit, forums take a lot of vertical space (especially with signatures), making a very long read. I personally really don't like having a like or dislike button, but it would simplify communication on the forums if I could just like someone's comment instead of making my own to show that I agree with them. I would only add likes, as dislikes can create a war where two sides try to dislike each other into ground.
Hmm.. I mean yeah thats true, or if you maybe have a few enemy's they'll keep putting it down. But perhaps a waylike the currentlike button with little impact should be fine?

Azelous

Veteran endo
Hmm.. I mean yeah thats true, or if you maybe have a few enemy's they'll keep putting it down. But perhaps a waylike the currentlike button with little impact should be fine?
Absolutely not. If you disagree with a person, you can reply to them, if you agree with someone else who disagreed with them you can upvote that reply. If the person is spamming, etc, report them. We don’t need dislikes, they’ll bury dissenting opinions and lead to boring discussion. Example: Reddit

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
Forums are meant to communicate not jester at. Like system is some what acceptable as it could save a needless thank you or just acknowledgement. It's not meant to be lazy and emoji out your conversations through such a system.

Those sites exist and you can use those social media platforms if that is something one likes to use.

there are many English-speaking communities, but there are also Russian-speaking people who know little English. if divided into two languages it will be more clear to everyone. or make someone responsible for it

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
there are many English-speaking communities, but there are also Russian-speaking people who know little English. if divided into two languages it will be more clear to everyone. or make someone responsible for it
Unfortunately we cannot provide official support for all languages. As our staff can mostly speak English and Finnish, it would be near impossible for us to moderate these forums or provide support in other languages. I understand that this can be a inconvenience for many people who do not speak English, and I apologize about that.