How does FwdBwdPitch/Yaw/Roll work?

five

Master endo
Hi guys,

I don't have access to the game yet so I'm trying to learn the game through watching YouTube tutorials on various topics. The last video I saw was on FCUs and MFCs and Movement by Simulator Haven (Link:
). The premium FCU has the feature FwdBwdPitch/Yaw/Roll(All the device fields including these of the premium FCU can be seen at 1:20). Can somebody please explain to me how this works compared to the standard FCURotationalPitch/Yaw/Roll that is also in the basic FCU.

I am very welcome for every explanation and hope to be able to join all of the active players soon.

Your curious fella, five

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
The yaw/pitch/roll is identical between FCUs I think. The advantage of the advanced FCU is that it offers additional functionality, for example, strafe up/down and left/right, assuming your ship design has thrusters placed to permit these movements.

five

Master endo
The yaw/pitch/roll is identical between FCUs I think. The advantage of the advanced FCU is that it offers additional functionality, for example, strafe up/down and left/right, assuming your ship design has thrusters placed to permit these movements.
Thx for that my friend. Do you also know what FwdBwdPitch/Yaw/Roll do?

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
Forward=move forwards (usually main thrust)
Backward=move backwards (reverse thrusters)
Pitch=Turn up/down
Yaw=Turn left/right
Roll=rotate clockwise/anti

CalenLoki

Master endo
Thx for that my friend. Do you also know what FwdBwdPitch/Yaw/Roll do?
As far as I know, it's used to make those rotations without carrying about keeping the ship balanced (i.e. it can rotate the ship along other axis in the process). It allows much tighter turns. And/or it allows using thrust differential for turning (turning by firing only some of main thrusts).

But I haven't tested it, so don't treat it as confirmed information.

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I had not seen "FwdBwdPitch" before and though you were doing some short-hand :)

So I have done a little testing on my latest ship, using FwdBwdPitch. It only takes effect when my ship is moving. Then it can use the main thrusters to turn the ship. But if I kill all main thrust it can no longer pitch. My ship currently has no other form of pitching thrusters. It was able to pitch before using RotationalPitch, but now that I have added 8 roll/yaw thrusters, pitching tries to use those instead of the main engines and ends up firing them opposite each other and so not moving at all. This could just be a bug.

Same deal with "FwdBwdYaw". Even though my ship does have yaw thrusters, it will ignore those and use the main thrusters instead to turn the ship, again only while it has forward thrust (presumably rear thrust too, but I don't have any of those). I'm not sure how useful this is.

five

Master endo
As far as I know, it's used to make those rotations without carrying about keeping the ship balanced (i.e. it can rotate the ship along other axis in the process). It allows much tighter turns. And/or it allows using thrust differential for turning (turning by firing only some of main thrusts).

But I haven't tested it, so don't treat it as confirmed information.
That man es sense thx alot

five

Master endo
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I had not seen "FwdBwdPitch" before and though you were doing some short-hand :)

So I have done a little testing on my latest ship, using FwdBwdPitch. It only takes effect when my ship is moving. Then it can use the main thrusters to turn the ship. But if I kill all main thrust it can no longer pitch. My ship currently has no other form of pitching thrusters. It was able to pitch before using RotationalPitch, but now that I have added 8 roll/yaw thrusters, pitching tries to use those instead of the main engines and ends up firing them opposite each other and so not moving at all. This could just be a bug.

Same deal with "FwdBwdYaw". Even though my ship does have yaw thrusters, it will ignore those and use the main thrusters instead to turn the ship, again only while it has forward thrust (presumably rear thrust too, but I don't have any of those). I'm not sure how useful this is.
Thx for the explanation guys. Hope I can join u soon