How to make the biggest conceivable ship in the game

Hello all,

Firstly, take this post with a grain of salt. This is just me (poorly) mocking up an idea in sketchup and presenting it to you, the reader.

Secondly, this is a ship design that is easier to think of as a carrier type vessel that tows 8+ other specialized ships. Essentially, the main carrier ship would be towing the "smaller" ships. The carrier would literally just hold large amounts of fuel and the biggest/strongest thrusters, and would have to be absolutely covered in maneuvering thrusters. The smaller ships would essentially be small gun boats. They would mostly hold ammunition, and a small amount of fuel in order to position themselves onto the larger carrier. Their entire point is to be bullet sponges/weapons platforms for the main carrier body.

This design could also work for maybe transporting larger amounts of resources too. The smaller ships could instead be designed as cargo vessels, sacrificing fuel tanks and reactors for MORE STORAGE. They only need enough oompf to doc with the carrier after all.

I do realize that each individual ship will need to be unlocked from the main ship if you wanted to doc the carrier. For this reason, I think something like this would only really be useful for a coordinated corporation. It'd be the bullet sponge shock-and-aww vehicle that only gets assembled and launched for large corporation efforts. And this is a very boxy and simplistic design I know, I fully plan on trying to do something like this at some point. Hopefully I can convince my fellow Empire members to help me field it.

If course, if you cant use guns or turrets while your ship is being towed, then I suppose thats it for this design haha.

Attachments

Last edited:
If we assume this vessel is specifically designed for large scale team fights, it's important to optimize the ship to use each crewmember efficiently. That means only one gunner per subsection, with all guns of a given subsection on the same plane so that one gunner can direct them. Each subsection would probably also want at last one engineer/pilot who could refill ammo, fuel, patch holes, and detach the subsection and fly it as needed.

The box model you showed is 1 carrier and 8 subsections, with at least two gunners needed per subsection due to having turrets on two sides - plus at least one gunner for the frontal portion of the central carrier. That's 17 gunners, at a bare minimum, to man guns on 5 different sides of the main ship.

This design below mitigates that. (Of course, if it turns out that you can use transmitters/receivers to coordinate guns across multiple ships, that would change - but at the moment the CA doesn't let ships have transmitters.)

I would call this type of design a diamond-class battleplate. Each subsection is called a "battleplate" as it is a simply slab of armor with turrets covering one side. The subsections could be detatched and redocked at different angles, or even flown separately as needed. 8 gunners for each of the 8 battleplates, no gunners needed on the central carrier. The 9 people of the original 17 that are no longer needed as gunners would instead serve as pilots for each section, or engineers that swap out ammo/repair minor damage.

The default configuration would be a diamond where at least 4 of the battleplates can shoot a target no matter which angle they approach from, with no blind spots. There would also be an optional configuration that focuses all firepower to the front, but this would leave the rear vulnerable.

Attachments

Mr.Silver

Well-known endo
If we assume this vessel is specifically designed for large scale team fights, it's important to optimize the ship to use each crewmember efficiently. That means only one gunner per subsection, with all guns of a given subsection on the same plane so that one gunner can direct them. Each subsection would probably also want at last one engineer/pilot who could refill ammo, fuel, patch holes, and detach the subsection and fly it as needed.

The box model you showed is 1 carrier and 8 subsections, with at least two gunners needed per subsection due to having turrets on two sides - plus at least one gunner for the frontal portion of the central carrier. That's 17 gunners, at a bare minimum, to man guns on 5 different sides of the main ship.

This design below mitigates that. (Of course, if it turns out that you can use transmitters/receivers to coordinate guns across multiple ships, that would change - but at the moment the CA doesn't let ships have transmitters.)

I would call this type of design a diamond-class battleplate. Each subsection is called a "battleplate" as it is a simply slab of armor with turrets covering one side. The subsections could be detatched and redocked at different angles, or even flown separately as needed. 8 gunners for each of the 8 battleplates, no gunners needed on the central carrier. The 9 people of the original 17 that are no longer needed as gunners would instead serve as pilots for each section, or engineers that swap out ammo/repair minor damage.

The default configuration would be a diamond where at least 4 of the battleplates can shoot a target no matter which angle they approach from, with no blind spots. There would also be an optional configuration that focuses all firepower to the front, but this would leave the rear vulnerable.

I have an uneasy feeling about your intentions in the near future of the game

lol I love how you used legos to mock this up. It probably took 1/5th the time and the message is just as clear haha. I would like them to be oriented on an angle and slopes like that. I know the biggest block for all this is maneuvering the ships into place. If we don't have a 3rd person camera while flying ships, then it would be even harder to make precise dockings like that.