Ideas on Station Security

Its a big galaxy, with a lot of people, so station security is not something to overlook when building outside the safe zone. How do you guys plan on protecting your deep space starbases?

I was thinking that a good idea would be to do something similar to what airports do. There would be two docking areas: Registered and Visitors. When arriving in the Registered section, no security checks are required, you can walk off your ship and straight into the port, however to receive access to this section, the pilot must have previously requested docking permission through discord. When a pilot makes a request, they will receive a password (providing that the request is accepted), and security will ask for this password as the pilot approaches the station. This is to prevent unauthorised access to the area, and a pilot found landing in the Registered section without authorisation will be detained by station security. Pilots who do not receive docking permission for the Registered area will be considered visitors, and can dock in the Visitors section. Anyone can land in this section, but visitors are required to go through boarder security before being permitted into the rest of the station. Security checks will include searching backpacks and any cargo being brought through, and visitors are required to hand over any weapons. Only a limited number of visitors will be permitted inside the station at any given time, in order to reduce the impact of organised attacks using weapons that visitors smuggle in their character inventories.

This system, I think, is the most time flexible system for players. Having a Registered (low security) section and a Visitors (high security) section reduces the amount of staff needed, and when few staff are available, the boarder can be closed.

If you have any ideas of your own, please share them below.

It's most likely going to be a station by station objective, I can imagen empire and kingdom, having light security regardless status, do in part that their stations would most likely be safe zones ( don't quote me on that). But small groups would lack the number of members to enforce a security team, and large factions would definitely take advantage of it. But overall I could see this registered system of working for some stations, but not others.

we had a little talk about communications of ships and stations over our Starbase Construction Recommendations server (not a faction btw)
we can't say that all player will use proposed protocol of docking procedure, but at least someone will.

main thing is to keep all things simple and understandable for each player, even if they don't know any protocol
we can use faction tag in ship's name, or register ships IDs on our ATC, or putting our generated KEY on each ship on their first arrival so there will be no duplicates of each ship and no trojans next time coming
but again, keep things simple

You can't limit visitors amount on public station, thats will make antiadvertisement of your station, which is.. bad. You can only track their actions on the station and use force only when needed. Like if they started to rebeling.

do we need those limitations?
you can place new station anywhere you want, until host of second dislikes it

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
I think a station Safezone system with some sort of physical pillars that have to be destroyed to open up the station for attack would be quite cool. I don't like the idea of stations just being open to destruction 24/7 without some sort of shielding system.

Variabug

Well-known endo
It could be like in SE where it requires a lot of power and could potentially be sabotaged. It would help emphasize Spec and Black-ops in the game.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
It could be like in SE where it requires a lot of power and could potentially be sabotaged. It would help emphasize Spec and Black-ops in the game.
Could be interesting but I'd imagine there would be a lot of players complaining, some people will hate that sort of thing. Hopefully that is a minority here.

It would be cool to have some sort of defensive shield so that bases would need to be carefully infiltrated in order for an attack to be launch. It could be similar to the shield gate on Scarif.

Morrgard

Master endo
I think a station Safezone system with some sort of physical pillars that have to be destroyed to open up the station for attack would be quite cool. I don't like the idea of stations just being open to destruction 24/7 without some sort of shielding system.
I agree with this,

I really hope there will be a system where stations aren't open to being demolished all day and night but have some sort of system where it is a safe place for atleast some time or that you have to do a special thing in order to start destroying bits of the station, much like you say with the pillars.

Maybe you would have to board a station with boarding vessels to come in and destroy a shield generator only available to stations. Maybe the only blocks that would be destroyable are doors & hangars so that you enter from there, and then go all the way to the shield generator, then ships can barrage the station.

Would prompt FPS combat having a system like this, obviously that has it's flaws what I wrote above, but I'm sure there could be ways of working something similar to it out

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
When safe zone is enabled first option what opens up is to protect the station from damage. And when the security level increases, there will be options to protect ships and robots as well.

Safe zone can be drained away by hostile military, but that process takes more like days, so the defenders have plenty of time to come around and start defending (or strike a deal with someone who will cover them).

DrunkRussianBear

When safe zone is enabled first option what opens up is to protect the station from damage. And when the security level increases, there will be options to protect ships and robots as well.

Safe zone can be drained away by hostile military, but that process takes more like days, so the defenders have plenty of time to come around and start defending (or strike a deal with someone who will cover them).
The fact that you guys are finding a nice way to integrate safe zones into an ever changing political environment is pretty cool, I love how they act sort of like capture points.

Morrgard

Master endo

The fact that you guys are finding a nice way to integrate safe zones into an ever changing political environment is pretty cool, I love how they act sort of like capture points.
I agree, it's a really fresh take on the genre too.

The fact that it would take days to hurt such a safe zone as well from a hostile presence is really intriguing like I mentioned in the other thread it brings a sense of realism to it, how battles take longer than you think, especially sieges. It's really interesting and I can't wait to hear more from the developers on this :)

DrunkRussianBear

I agree, it's a really fresh take on the genre too.

The fact that it would take days to hurt such a safe zone as well from a hostile presence is really intriguing like I mentioned in the other thread it brings a sense of realism to it, how battles take longer than you think, especially sieges. It's really interesting and I can't wait to hear more from the developers on this :)
I'm starting to think of the other indirect effects stations may take. A siege on an important station or possibly along an important trade route may disrupt an entire regional economy, causing problems for other factions who had nothing to do with the conflict.

Morrgard

Master endo
I'm starting to think of the other indirect effects stations may take. A siege on an important station or possibly along an important trade route may disrupt an entire regional economy, causing problems for other factions who had nothing to do with the conflict.
That would only make it so more people would want to assist the faction in protecting such a place, creates a highly dynamic play!
For something like that though I would hope there is something similar to a news source in the game which is easily accessible, maybe there could be something similar to LCD screens which you can swap from regular use (Cameras, text etc) over to news networking and you can find out the very latest with small snippets, some 2-3 gifs or so about the situation, that way you would get an idea of what's going on in such a massive universe and what you can assist in. ( billboards should be spread across mega stations too and around populated space to show these news too :p)

DrunkRussianBear

That would only make it so more people would want to assist the faction in protecting such a place, creates a highly dynamic play!
For something like that though I would hope there is something similar to a news source in the game which is easily accessible, maybe there could be something similar to LCD screens which you can swap from regular use (Cameras, text etc) over to news networking and you can find out the very latest with small snippets, some 2-3 gifs or so about the situation, that way you would get an idea of what's going on in such a massive universe and what you can assist in. ( billboards should be spread across mega stations too and around populated space to show these news too :p)
Could be a small program like the Scope from EVE