Network?

I have an IRC chat with people active, I wonder if YOLOL can go for Network programming so I can make my own IRC client for starbase and keep chatting in-game?

five

Master endo
I dont think that is in the realm of possibilities within YOLOL code, though I would like to see some sort of in game comms

five

Master endo
Maybe you can go read more in the YOLOL subsection of this forum. Lots of interesting things and you probably understand more there than I do:LOL:

I read the whole wiki page and a couple of threads, nothing about the network. Guess I can't do much with YOLOL - I can't even print out the text!

I assume the output to be here
1597062007033.png

not here
1597062024844.png

because normal user won't search the variable he needs, you see?
YOLOL needs to have cout or print()
Or is there something I'm missing?

Zijkhal

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
K1tty, that tool is not a 1:1 match with in-game yolol, and neither is the UI anything like in-game.

in-game you can add text panels to your ships, and they have an input field, and whatever you put into their input field they output it.

Zijkhal

As for yolol networks, theoretically it can be done, but yolol stops working if there aren't any players nearby, so practically it can not be done

Are we talking about the same networks? Under "my" network, I mean TCP/UDP connection with the real-world services, not with nearby players in-game.
UPD: Re-read your sentence, got your thought. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

Zijkhal

Are we talking about the same networks? Under "my" network, I mean TCP/UDP connection with the real-world services, not with nearby players in-game.
UPD: Re-read your sentence, got your thought. Thanks for the reply.
I do not think that outside connections like that would be allowed, as that could be a major security risk

Last edited:

five

Master endo
There is something like a print(x) command. Though it is soly restricted to radio transmitters, who at the current point in time can only be mounted to stations (Tho I am not certain if it has changed already). Radio transmitters can send out a message, which can be received if a navigation receiver is pointed in the direction of the transmitter. This message can currently be used to programm an autopilot and a community made navigation system called ISAN. But since there is only station to ship communication and no back communication you cannot have a "network"

In terms of getting a connection with the outside world, a janky solution would be to make a bot that controls an in game character. That character could then send DMs or update a YOLOL script.

five

Master endo
Yeah but here people talk about in-game solutions, that can be solved with just what the game has to offer and not everybody has the money nor the time nor the knowledge to acquire a second account, programm a bot and let it run

Verbatos

Veteran endo
Yeah, it's impossible to just have YOLOL link with something real world unless you do something janky like what @SneakyTurtle said.
Although I think it could be a neat idea to let us link devices in-game to a phone app or something, similar to what Rust has done.

(i do not have access to the alpha so i only have half of an idea what i am talking about)
i think it would be possible to set up a ship network with a large amount of trial and error in regards of the YOLOL coding but i do know there is the ability to send messages between receivers and (forgot the name for it) message senders, to allow ships to chat with each other over long distances via text. this shouldn't be too incredibly difficult, for example:
(
message== [username][shipname]{message to send}
if: enter is pressed
send message to all available network recievers
{message to send} == ""
end:

display message == {received message}
print: (start new line) {display message}
)
this would be an interesting system to implement if there is no other in game option for secure data transactions