New Bolting Mechanic is Punishing

Bob Dole

Active endo
The bolting mechanic was recently changed wherein you can't auto bolt an object in if you yourself would not be able to bolt it, such as if it's under another object.

This is good in theory, but in practice, it punishes anyone who dares to alter their ship outside ship editor. Anyone who messes up in the editor and wants to fix their ship after the fact is functionally screwed, because they will not be able to bolt it as they did in the editor, which in some cases means the death of your ship.

My own ship is functionally weaker since I wanted to change something about it after the fact, only to realize I could no longer bolt it in properly no matter which angle I tried to bolt from, and taking out more objects to fix it get a better angle only makes things worse.

All i can say is, if you make your own ship, you better be damn sure it's perfect, because you may not be able to change it afterwords.

five

Master endo
I am sorry but to me this is the point of having this engineering mechanic. In SE everyone can make a basic flying cube, wherein SB you have to precisely plan where every not and bolt goes, where u put ur wiring and ur pipes. The sign of a good engineer is that he thinks about maintenance, how easy it is to remove or replace a part or to modify it.

Bob Dole

Active endo
I am sorry but to me this is the point of having this engineering mechanic. In SE everyone can make a basic flying cube, wherein SB you have to precisely plan where every not and bolt goes, where u put ur wiring and ur pipes. The sign of a good engineer is that he thinks about maintenance, how easy it is to remove or replace a part or to modify it.
You are wrong about saying you can remove any parts and put them back together like they were, even if i took out every crate in my ship and then tried to put them back in 1 by 1, i wouldn't be able to bolt even 1/10 of the crates perfectly together, no matter what i did, it would be physically impossible to do so, and even the best engineer to ever live couldn't do it.

(it's not even possible to bolt 3 crates together properly once ur outside the editor let alone anything more complex, look for yourself

Only 3 crates are in the image, now tell me how ur gonna bolt the top one perfectly on the bottom one? You can't because the crate beside it is blocking the view. if it's just 2 crates u can add 16 bolts, if it's 3 crates like this, you can only bolt the top and bottom together with 14 bolts.

If you add even more crates into this the number of times you can bolt lowers drastically until some crates are in the red and your previously working ship is now unstable, it's like a simple logical puzzle, it doesn't matter how good of an engineer you are lol.

Still... I do see your point, and you changed my mind, so +1 like, I'm also quite looking forward to the salt from would-be shipbuilders when early access launches, all crying about how their ship no longer works like before because they tried to fix a mistake they made outside editor, and it being physically impossible to bolt it as they did before in the editor, and how they wasted all their "hard-earned" money because they weren't experienced enough in the editor like we are, hehehe, that'll teach em to git gud.

I say we go a step further and don't allow bolting at all outside editor, would be hilarious, thanks for making me see the light!

Last edited:

five

Master endo
I now know ur problem: The autobolt tool bolts in places that cannot be accesed by a player and therefore you are stuck with this crate configuration. Now I see 1 solution to the problem: Solution 1. You don't use the autobolt tool and bolt it by hand, if you still want ur 16 bolts, then use bolting plates who were supposed to bolt structures together (e.g.: beams), reason being this is still alpha, the tool aint perfect yet. There is a german saying: "Probieren geht über Studieren". It means trying things out is better than just doing the theory, now that u tried it out, you know what to fix in your design. Now to the problem of upgrading/changing ur ship post production: Take an example of how Toyota develops their cars: First they design the prototype, where they design every part for the vehicle (to make it easier they use the same parts over a large variety of vehicles). Whilst they design the parts they look at how accesible those parts are. To specify that: Before a car is taken into automatic production it needs to be able to be put together only by humans only by hands, this is the specific problem your facing: You put your parts (not on purpose) together in a way that makes it impossible to change something later on. I'd say incorporate this philosophy into your next build and I bet you can put the ship into pieces and put it back together in a whole different way

Bob Dole

Active endo
I now know ur problem: The autobolt tool bolts in places that cannot be accesed by a player and therefore you are stuck with this crate configuration. Now I see 1 solution to the problem: Solution 1. You don't use the autobolt tool and bolt it by hand, if you still want ur 16 bolts, then use bolting plates who were supposed to bolt structures together (e.g.: beams), reason being this is still alpha, the tool aint perfect yet. There is a german saying: "Probieren geht über Studieren". It means trying things out is better than just doing the theory, now that u tried it out, you know what to fix in your design. Now to the problem of upgrading/changing ur ship post production: Take an example of how Toyota develops their cars: First they design the prototype, where they design every part for the vehicle (to make it easier they use the same parts over a large variety of vehicles). Whilst they design the parts they look at how accesible those parts are. To specify that: Before a car is taken into automatic production it needs to be able to be put together only by humans only by hands, this is the specific problem your facing: You put your parts (not on purpose) together in a way that makes it impossible to change something later on. I'd say incorporate this philosophy into your next build and I bet you can put the ship into pieces and put it back together in a whole different way
Can't physically bolt 3 crates together properly anymore, must be because my own design designs are flawed, in my next hauler build I won't use more than 2 crates if i plan to edit it after the fact, problem solved! Will be weird going from a 260 crate hauler to a 2 crate hauler, but hey, gotta use that smart german engineering amiright.

Last edited: