New Projectile Behavior: Variable Caliber (Formerly Mixed Damage)

XenoCow

Master endo
Either as a modification to current projectiles, as an ammunition type, or as a new weapon entirly, I suggest this new projectile behavior. After the first layer of armor penetrated with voxel damage, the next object hit has fracture damage applied.

This damage type would be particularly effective against lightly armored craft since the internal fracture damage would likely destroy wires or devices inside, rather than more armor. This would help to give larger ships an advantage against the light fast ships that are threatening to dominate the battles.

This damage model could be justified by projectiles sheding their jackets and tumbling before hitting the next object after penetrating through one. Alternatively they could be some sort of HEAT rounds that shoot hot jets of metal that become unfocused after penetrating one layer of material. It could have another justification too of course.

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Sounds like a very interesting idea for a new weapon that'd be quite fun to use. As the devs said, they'll be eventually adding more weapons to the game, so I really hope I see this suggestion in-game one day.

CalenLoki

Master endo
Voxel/fracture is not really an damage type, but more of the way damage is applied. Until certain point you deal voxel. If you destroy more, it turns into fracture.
In other words you can never have small fracture damage, nor big voxel damage.
Each projectile have different energy and caliber. Caliber dictates how big is the hole. Energy divided by caliber => penetration depth.

Technical aspects aside, I agree that weapon that increase it's caliber after each penetration would be really nice. I see it more as a weapon designed against bigger targets, as you'd most often over-penetrate small targets without using all the damage potential.
IMO rail cannon would benefit from such mechanics instead of making huge hole right away.

XenoCow

Master endo
Hmm, in that case I think I'm suggesting a projectile that has a very small caliber before the first penetration and then a very large one afterwards.

IMO rail cannon would benefit from such mechanics instead of making huge hole right away.
I agree that the rail cannon should expand in this way too, but much less dramatically as to make for better armor penetration.

Last edited:

CalenLoki

Master endo
BTW that's only my understanding after a lot of destruction testing.
It's possible that it works differently.

XenoCow

Master endo
BTW that's only my understanding after a lot of destruction testing.
It's possible that it works differently.
No problem if you're wrong. Once the developers are feeling more comfortable with what's going on in CA land, they can come on the forums and address these kinds of things.