Project Halo

Guedez

Learned-to-sprint endo
I'd be interested in working on the infrastructure and automating the building of it.
But i'd rather quietly test quite a bunch of ideas before offering anything

Talla

Learned-to-sprint endo
I declare the Halo rings a UNESCO Space Heritage site.
All Alliances hereby vow to not allow any military engagements near the site.

Any acts of terror, littering or vandalism will put the offenders on the "Wanted for Decommission" list.
Defective units will be hunted by all factions throughout the galaxy until their termination.

Thank you, and please take care of our spacial environment.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I declare the Halo rings a UNESCO Space Heritage site.
All Alliances hereby vow to not allow any military engagements near the site.

Any acts of terror, littering or vandalism will put the offenders on the "Wanted for Decommission" list.
Defective units will be hunted by all factions throughout the galaxy until their termination.

Thank you, and please take care of our spacial environment.
Dude it's nice you say that but I just have to ask you, how are you speaking for every faction in the game? As far as I can tell you are in no factions, have no affiliations and no power whatsoever?

Talla

Learned-to-sprint endo
EDIT: I am sowwy for speaking for someone else :(

No matter the territory in question, I guess we can all agree that uninhabited, non-weaponized structures or "Space Monuments" are things for all players to enjoy amidst the vast emptiness of space.

Pretty sure both the Empire & Kingdom (& the Devs) would agree that these player structures would improve player experience and promote the game, something that EVERYBODY here should want.
As long as we don't reach a point where we're running out of space :LOL:

My advice to Master Builder : Don't build it near any coveted mining areas.

Last edited:

Mci

Active endo
I do have several ideas on how such a feat could be done, even with in game limitations. The biggest issue would be getting people to NOT blow it sky high....

If you really wanted to you could probably build this in the safe zone of a starting mega station. Unless you can't build a station within the influence of another one, in which case, well, I guess you just have to rely on the backing of interested parties who stand to make a lot of money. If you had investors with a stake in the success of the halo ring then there would be an incentive to keep it safe from attacks. And I imagine the ring would likely end uo being quite lucrative should it come to fruition.

Mci

Active endo
If you really wanted to you could probably build this in the safe zone of a starting mega station. Unless you can't build a station within the influence of another one, in which case, well, I guess you just have to rely on the backing of interested parties who stand to make a lot of money. If you had investors with a stake in the success of the halo ring then there would be an incentive to keep it safe from attacks. And I imagine the ring would likely end uo being quite lucrative should it come to fruition.
But that requires constant protection, and a constant investment. How would you even consider making such a thing profitable enough to get people to keep paying?

It wouldn't be any different than having your own station, except that the defense would be subsidized by others. Say that you are a faction. You can build your own stations to do the work of refining minerals and spitting out ships etc, and the bigger you are the more likely you are to sink a lot of resources into that. But then you have to defend the operation from all comers. If you offshore some/all of your operations to a neutral starbase that can't easily be attacked by your personal enemies, then you reduce your operational risks correspondingly for whatever fee you're paying. It could especially make sense for smaller factions who are worried about being bullied out of their space by a neighboring large faction to put most/all of their industrial capacity into a relatively safer egg.

And when I am talking investors, I am envisioning a scenario where, say, you contribute funds or materials to the station and end up with "shares" of the station equivalent to your contribution that you earn money off of in the future. So while you might be expected to share in the common defense of this station that you're using anyway, given the way that safe zones are currently being discussed as something that takes days to wear down, etc, it shouldn't be overly burdensome to provide defense for this one station vs protecting a large amount of your own territory. And meanwhile you'll still be sharing in the day to day profits of the station.

There's other economic models you could pursue along the same lines, but regardless I think it'd be easy to find ways for it to make sense for all parties involved.

Metal

Active endo
It wouldn't be any different than having your own station, except that the defense would be subsidized by others. Say that you are a faction. You can build your own stations to do the work of refining minerals and spitting out ships etc, and the bigger you are the more likely you are to sink a lot of resources into that. But then you have to defend the operation from all comers. If you offshore some/all of your operations to a neutral starbase that can't easily be attacked by your personal enemies, then you reduce your operational risks correspondingly for whatever fee you're paying. It could especially make sense for smaller factions who are worried about being bullied out of their space by a neighboring large faction to put most/all of their industrial capacity into a relatively safer egg.

And when I am talking investors, I am envisioning a scenario where, say, you contribute funds or materials to the station and end up with "shares" of the station equivalent to your contribution that you earn money off of in the future. So while you might be expected to share in the common defense of this station that you're using anyway, given the way that safe zones are currently being discussed as something that takes days to wear down, etc, it shouldn't be overly burdensome to provide defense for this one station vs protecting a large amount of your own territory. And meanwhile you'll still be sharing in the day to day profits of the station.

There's other economic models you could pursue along the same lines, but regardless I think it'd be easy to find ways for it to make sense for all parties involved.
It won't be safer because people will go there to pvp and cause trouble (pvp clans, pirates, troll/griefers). "you contribute funds or materials to the station and end up with "shares" of the station equivalent to your contribution that you earn money off of in the future" that is a scam, it's called mlm. "It could especially make sense for smaller factions who are worried about being bullied out of their space by a neighboring large faction to put most/all of their industrial capacity into a relatively safer egg." move, join them or make peace. If you can't make peace then move it's very simple, and if that doesn't work for you join other small clans with the same troubles and make a noob zerg. "And meanwhile you'll still be sharing in the day to day profits of the station." so joining the clan that owns the station? "regardless I think it'd be easy to find ways for it to make sense for all parties involved." like what? other than exposure.

It won't be safer because people will go there to pvp and cause trouble (pvp clans, pirates, troll/griefers). "you contribute funds or materials to the station and end up with "shares" of the station equivalent to your contribution that you earn money off of in the future" that is a scam, it's called mlm. "It could especially make sense for smaller factions who are worried about being bullied out of their space by a neighboring large faction to put most/all of their industrial capacity into a relatively safer egg." move, join them or make peace. If you can't make peace then move it's very simple, and if that doesn't work for you join other small clans with the same troubles and make a noob zerg. "And meanwhile you'll still be sharing in the day to day profits of the station." so joining the clan that owns the station? "regardless I think it'd be easy to find ways for it to make sense for all parties involved." like what? other than exposure.
Look, there's plenty of ways that a mega station project like this doesn't work. And there are some ways that it does work. I wrote about a few things that could contribute to finding ways to make players more interested in making sure that it works. There's plenty more I can think of without putting any effort into it, that have very different tradeoffs and risk/reward levels. If you want to convince yourself that it's impossible to do anything because human beings are scum and will do their best to be worse scum, well that's your perogative. The question is whether there's more people who want to be scum or who want to see a tangible benefit or just have something cool exist in the world.

Anything else is just you saying "noobs gotta get good" or just running a random sentence generator so I don't care to comment to any of that.

Metal

Active endo
Look, there's plenty of ways that a mega station project like this doesn't work. And there are some ways that it does work. I wrote about a few things that could contribute to finding ways to make players more interested in making sure that it works. There's plenty more I can think of without putting any effort into it, that have very different tradeoffs and risk/reward levels. If you want to convince yourself that it's impossible to do anything because human beings are scum and will do their best to be worse scum, well that's your perogative. The question is whether there's more people who want to be scum or who want to see a tangible benefit or just have something cool exist in the world.

Anything else is just you saying "noobs gotta get good" or just running a random sentence generator so I don't care to comment to any of that.
First off, "If you want to convince yourself that it's impossible to do anything because human beings are scum and will do their best to be worse scum, well that's your perogative" i didn't say all humans are scum, but the factions already exist. So, if you think people are not going to pvp there or cause trouble your wrong.

"There's plenty more I can think of without putting any effort into it, that have very different tradeoffs and risk/reward levels. " like what?

'The question is whether there's more people who want to be scum or who want to see a tangible benefit or just have something cool exist in the world.

Anything else is just you saying "noobs gotta get good"'I am just saying you already need to be good before you do all this.

PvP is a thing but just existing doesn't mean that you can't possibly protect something, or have incentives to keep it around that are strong enough that not everyone wants to destroy it.

Aside from the stock thing, which you can do in various different ways already (and this is not MLM, a pyramid scheme has one person on top who makes more money the more people there are under them feeding them money. What I was suggesting was a flat field where people make a percentage of the overall profit of the station based on what percentage they contributed and is more along the lines of earning dividends on a stock), just straight up issuing and buying stock for the station being the most straightforward... okay, a few different ways. I'm not saying that they are guaranteed to work, just that they are ways that you can try to keep the station alive. In no particular order
1) Just build a really big faction to protect it.
2) Build a coalition, possibly by handing out free slots in the station to people who assist in the defense, or giving tax incentives to lure people in to occupy the station so that there are more parties coming in with a vested interest in keeping the station around.
3) Have an amazing location that promises becoming an important hub of community interaction, as a refueling port or place where players come regularly to socialize.
4) Pay tribute to scary entities so they don't feel like attacking you
5) Become a semi-autonomous entity under the control of the strongest group around, pay them most of your profits, and be willing to do the same to anyone who conquers those guys
6) Like I said before, if possible build within the safe zone of a starting station.
7) Have an amazingly bad location that nobody actually wants to go to for any reason other than trading, with no meaningful minerals resources nearby to make it less worth people's time to attack
8) Make your station using a starting station as the basis of it,and just rent out your slots to others, guaranteeing that it's a completely safe zone

And so on. The initial question though was how to make the station profitable enough to justify protecting it. That shouldn't be hard because the thing is basically supposed to be pointlessly massive, which means lots of vendors, lots of money changing hands, lots of rent and lots of opportunities to tax people. You can try to make it a status symbol to own a residence on the station, offering large luxurious "homes" or places of entertainment, like a race track or an arena. If people value the existence of the station and have a vested interest in it existing, then they will want to protect it. I think the harder part is just finishing building the station in the first place, which is why I went with the idea of investors. I feel that's the most feasible way that you manage the initial build, if you don't have a massive faction backing you in the first place.

Norway174

Active endo
Hopefully something cool comes off this project. Can't wait to see where it goes. Might even be interested in a plot once it's ready. But we'll see.
Best of luck!

Is this still going to happen? If so I would like to take part in constructing such a colossal monument! The rings would be such an aesthetically pleasing addition to a game like this plus the planned functionality will make them more than just pretty things to look at.