Rails and Rail Movers - Requesting feedback on current rail usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
We are currently thinking about temporarily removing Rails and Rail Movers from the game in order to properly fix them before Early Access. We want to stress that this would be only temporary and done only so that we can iron out all the bugs. Rails and Rail Movers would be brought back to the game after all the necessary fixes have been made. We can't give a time estimate for how long this would take, but we'd naturally inform you when they're being re-introduced.

As you probably know, rails in their current state have many bugs and are not working as intended, and because of this they would greatly benefit from being removed from Starbase so that we can focus on repairing them thoroughly, without fearing that the fixing process interferes or breaks the players' designs.

Before we go any further with this plan, however, we'd love to hear your feedback and thoughts, especially about the following:
  1. How have you been using Rails and Rail Movers so far?
  2. How much have you been using them and how important are they to your designs so far?
  3. If they were removed for some time, how much would it impact you?
All feedback and experiences are important to us, so let us know in the comments below! Thank you in advance for your contribution! :cool:

Saltylelele

Well-known endo
  1. How have you been using Rails and Rail Movers so far? - Not at all
  2. How much have you been using them and how important are they to your designs so far? - Not at all
  3. If they were removed for some time, how much would it impact you? - Literally not. Kinda didnt really use them.

mrchip

Well-known endo
I've used rails to try them, not so successfully. I used them to electrically connect 2 detachable parts, but ducts can do that just fine without any of the rail bugs.
They are not present in any of my designs. It would not impact me, since as much as i want to use them, i know they are not reliable (yet).

I’ve never even attempted to use rails or their movers due to them being full of bugs, so I’m fine with them being temporarily removed.

I think have never seen anyone use them and i got warned to to stay distant from them for as long as they are not reworked.
So no, my designs never saw a Rail before.
(I wouldn't even be able to tell how they work)

Actually I saw them ONCE being used. For power transfer before Ducts got introduced

DerPfandadler

Learned-to-sprint endo
I myself don't use them at all due to them being for the most part non-functional.

Please do remove them if that alleviates some pressure off your shoulders. They cause more issues for people finding and trying to use them than they add to the game in their current state.

in aprox. 1500hours ssc i was using rails and all related components only 2 times.

1. to try it out
2. to try again cause it didnt worked.

i came to that point that they are not working on ships any good. and stopped working with this for ever.
impov:

feel free to take it from us!

MattheoAR

Active endo
I see them often being used for moving pilot seats i.e. to combat insufficient space. Wouldn't really mind if they got temporarily yeeted.

Tagarik

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I've barely seen any designs with them featured, so I guess that major revamp should be advised. Feel free to do whatever you want with rails.

Eviltek2099

Well-known endo
I assume they would be useful for assembly lines so till we can do that they don't matter to me because they don't work well on moving ships as is.

Zaff

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
  1. Novelty experiments, bugs and exploits.
  2. No, they're too flimsy for reliable use.
  3. Nothing.
Though would like to see in the future some other device capable of detaching parts from the rest of the ship or other moving/mechanical toys.

Last edited:
1. I tried them at the start of the game but otherwise not at all
2. No at all
3. I wouldnt care, but I would love to see them work when they get back

Also keep up the good work Frozenbyte :)

Glux

Active endo
  1. Ive used rails on my big ship, which originally ran out of wire and cables due to budget; so I added them to extend. I still have to use ducts, but yeah.
  2. Im going to have to redesign the cable and pipe systems on the whole ship, since I use rails alot on my design.
  3. No impact, as I would have to use ducts anyways. Just 3-4 hours of more work.

Kodey

Veteran endo
  1. How have you been using Rails and Rail Movers so far?
    1. I've been using the rail turn table as a more compact small turn table, that uses less parts
  2. How much have you been using them and how important are they to your designs so far?
    1. Currently I've been mainly using them for propellers
  3. If they were removed for some time, how much would it impact you?
    1. Most likely by not much, it'd just make propellers much more frustrating, less compact, and slightly harder to stack.
1623872388459.png

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
i have been using rail movers alot for my moon infrastructure projects (elevators, heavy doors etc etc) given i have a list of other things to do i am fine if they were temporarly removed to make them better.

Senkii

Well-known endo
Have wanted to use them for moving things around my ships (seats, tools), and was planning to use them for a similar purpose on stations in the future, possibly moving materials and components around the station. I, too, would be totally fine with removing them temporarily in favor of a future rework, although I would be sad to see them gone permanently, the concept of having rails to move stuff around seems very interesting to me.9

I have only been using them as power rails from before ducts, only my larger ships have them as such and it will only require me to replace them with ducts when removed

Status
Not open for further replies.