Ship combat is missing something

MoneylooJr

Well-known endo
This isn't about good vision at this point; all the signs of something getting hit are very obvious assuming you aren't 5 kilometers away from the target. Of course you can't notice any you if hit anything or not, I don't even think you can properly see the ships themselves that distance. The issue here isn't about eyesight unless you're really considering biotech implants, and it definitely isn't about having obvious signs of hitting something, this is about knowing to no try to hit a nascar racer from 5km away with a small precision railgun bolt using just the naked eye.

Last edited:

five

Master endo
My question does an artillery know if it hits its target, without troops on the ground confirming the hit? No. And also there is a reason, u differentiate between BVR and In visual Range. Your problem is your firing with guns at a target that is BVR so you should have no logical way of knowing if u hit shit. Because that would be dumb otherwise and annoying as frick if you would go into actual CQC with automatic weapons.

Dommy

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
The range is not 2km either, keep trying you are getting warmer, and please keep giving me advice, I think your next guess/advice will be right, i can feel it.
I have not been in CA since july, the wiki states that RC shots live for 6 seconds. Apologies for misreading a single digit. This digit was last updated in late august, so it may be incorrect by now. I advise that if you wish to debate a topic, I suggest you do not try to make yourself seem so unpeaceful.

dusty

Let's try to keep it respectful, please; constant sarcasm and "got'ems" are not conducive to a healthy discussion.

In the last PVP event, me and my friend Robbin were piloting a long-range ship, and I have no idea whether or not I hit anything, so it felt a bit... bad?

It would be nice if there was an indicator if shots dealt damage to a structure/ship, maybe something unintrusive such as a soft high pitched beep. How is anyone supposed to improve if they no clue if what they are doing is working or not?

It's like... if you practiced your shooting skills IRL with a blindfold on, and you aren't allowed to check the target you are trying to hit, would you be able to become a better shot in those conditions?
It sounds like a radar lock/target overview is needed, we've seen them in just about every space sim. have a sensor required and if equipped the ability to radar scan the vicinity and 'lock' the selected target. The dev's could then leave it free aim but give you some simple feedback on the targets overall health.

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
It sounds like a radar lock/target overview is needed, we've seen them in just about every space sim. have a sensor required and if equipped the ability to radar scan the vicinity and 'lock' the selected target. The dev's could then leave it free aim but give you some simple feedback on the targets overall health.
"Overall health" isn't really a useful indicator in a game like this one. How would you calculate it? Amount of armor destroyed? a completely disabled ship is still gonna have most of its armor. Components destroyed? You'd have to know how many components of each type are on the ship, which constrains ship design and prevents surprising designs. Lack of information about the target is crucial to a creative building system. Being able to fake you out by pretending to be dead in the water, blowing up a dummy component, etc. should be a valid strategy and basis for ship design.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I think it would be interesting to come to the root of the problem, it is hard to see ships at range and aim for them.
I think I have come up with a simple solution, inspired by someone else mentioning sniper spotters earlier in the thread.
Either a long-range telescope or turret scope of some kind, not only would it help to determine how far off a shot is from it's target, it could also serve a purpose in a basic utility role for miners and people flying through the belt, it could allow people to look at asteroids from a far range to get a glance of what the asteroid could be made out of, maybe spotting powered down ship hiding amongst the rocks.

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
I think it would be interesting to come to the root of the problem, it is hard to see ships at range and aim for them.
I think I have come up with a simple solution, inspired by someone else mentioning sniper spotters earlier in the thread.
Either a long-range telescope or turret scope of some kind, not only would it help to determine how far off a shot is from it's target, it could also serve a purpose in a basic utility role for miners and people flying through the belt, it could allow people to look at asteroids from a far range to get a glance of what the asteroid could be made out of, maybe spotting powered down ship hiding amongst the rocks.
I like this. Its a very hands on type of system that requires player interaction and still has good counterplay. Put it on a completely unpowered tripod for some basic lens zoom, or allow powering it to enable enhanced dialing zoom functions. Put a button on there so the operator can send a yolol signal. Allow its rotation constraints to be customized. A great reason to have another player on your ship right out of the box, but if you wire it to a fixed weapon and constrain it you can have a very interesing "trigger man" or "spotter" setups that require and reward crew coordination.