Spaceship building limits

Heyo. What are the limits of the spaceship building mechanic in this game. I often play with block based building mechanics like From the Depths, Scrap Mechanic and the ever so popular Space Engineers, . To what degree can curves be constructed? Can I make regular polygons if yes up to how many faces? how are mechanical components built are blocks placed on rotors and act as a separate body to the spaceship just bound by a force? I currently dont have access to the closed alpha and would really appreciate some insight by some of the members of the community. Any feedback is welcome THANK YOU and have a good day!

I don´t have access to the game, so all this information is from memory and may be wrong/outdated.
You can kinda build curves, by taking beams and rotating them and then bolting them together. you can (i think, not sure) rotate objects freely and make all the shapes you want that you can create from straight beames, and 30° and (I think) 45° angles. as far as my knowledge goes there are no curved beams or circles.
Hope that helped and sorry if this info is wrong
O7

CalenLoki

Master endo
Building is done by connecting pre-made parts. So no custom shapes.

But unlike most other games, you can freely rotate any object. All angles are supported, not just 30 and 45. So you can create curves, or even spheres, if you don't mind a bit uneven surface.

Moving parts are physical when in motion. But they auto-lock when they reach desired position, which saves performance.
But they are rather weak, both structurally (can break off) and torque-wise (may be too weak to rotate unbalanced constructs if other forces apply - gravity or acceleration). Both can be mitigated i.e. by using multiple hinges for single door.
Thrusters don't work on rotors. They just won't fire.

Join discord, so you can see various things people built. Here's one example of both freedom of angles and rotors usage:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...265300840499/Starbase_2020-10-22_02-21-13.mp4

I don´t have access to the game, so all this information is from memory and may be wrong/outdated.
You can kinda build curves, by taking beams and rotating them and then bolting them together. you can (i think, not sure) rotate objects freely and make all the shapes you want that you can create from straight beames, and 30° and (I think) 45° angles. as far as my knowledge goes there are no curved beams or circles.
Hope that helped and sorry if this info is wrong
O7
All good thank you for the info

Building is done by connecting pre-made parts. So no custom shapes.

But unlike most other games, you can freely rotate any object. All angles are supported, not just 30 and 45. So you can create curves, or even spheres, if you don't mind a bit uneven surface.

Moving parts are physical when in motion. But they auto-lock when they reach desired position, which saves performance.
But they are rather weak, both structurally (can break off) and torque-wise (may be too weak to rotate unbalanced constructs if other forces apply - gravity or acceleration). Both can be mitigated i.e. by using multiple hinges for single door.
Thrusters don't work on rotors. They just won't fire.

Join discord, so you can see various things people built. Here's one example of both freedom of angles and rotors usage:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...265300840499/Starbase_2020-10-22_02-21-13.mp4
OOOO the free rotating now that is good, reminds me of Besiege. what about the range of block shapes and angles? thank you!

five

Master endo
OOOO the free rotating now that is good, reminds me of Besiege. what about the range of block shapes and angles? thank you!
There are no curves but there are angled pieces with different angles specifically and most things are avaiable in different lenghts

kiiyo

Veteran endo
There are square beams of various lengths that are used for the frame of the ship. There are also plates that are used to cover the outside of the ship. You can see a video on youtube by the developer that goes over the "Spaceship Creator"; The video should give you a good idea of its capabilities.

Hey Yogurt, I am like you also, stuck on the outside looking in. I thought I read building limits were in 15 degree rotations, wish that could be confirmed.

I am using a CAD program to model a craft, but lacking the parameters/limits to follow. I believe a crafts wall thickness is 48cm (24cm beam + 12cm outer covering + 12cm inner covering). That leaves me to guessing on the increments of the beam length, 24cm, 48cm, or 72cm, guessing 24cm. And your question about the angle.
1619502561484.png

1619502826004.png

XenoCow

Master endo
I thought I read building limits were in 15 degree rotations
This is true for in-universe building, but this can be set down to 5° increments in the space ship designer. I could go scrounge up a screenshot if you'd like some proof of that. :)

Thanks Xenocow, I believe you. I watched a guy building a ship using 5° increments or close to that.

Thanks for the reply!

CalenLoki

Master endo
You can build at any angle. Even such angles as 1° or 7.5°.
I used to think that 15° is the limit, but then I learned heresy.