Starbase Progress Notes: Week 16 (2021)

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Starbase Progress Notes: Week 16 (2021)
April 19th - 23rd

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase Alpha "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Closed Alpha. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

Design

Features
  • Legacy visual instructions removed from Mining job
  • Mining Backpack fixes tested, work on fixing bugs continues (backpack keeps collecting ore even when full)
  • Usability improvements for Easy Build Mode designed
  • Usability improvements for Material Point Scanner designed
User Interface
  • Ship tutorial controls have been reworked
  • New tutorial UI for starting tutorial and choosing tutorial phases has been designed
  • Design for Company bank features continues
  • Company access control design has been worked on
  • Company missions permissions access control logic has been updated
Stations and Cities
  • Kyanite and Shale lifted higher in OKI 2 ship shop, seat mechanisms no longer clip into the floor when canopy is opened
Other
  • Devices: A set of 10 Duct parts have been made available: Ducts are for creating resource networks and can be used to replace cables and pipes

Code

Gameplay
  • An issue where some objects in space would move when player approached them has been fixed
  • Occasional issue with items flinging when ungrabbing them has been worked on
  • Beam welds close to each other in a connecting beam result in frame integrity connections between ship frame beams, reducing the need for corner attachment plates
  • Thruster parts should no longer block their thrusters in tiny ships
  • Jointed grabbed objects colliding with the environment has been fixed (once again)
  • Support for printing start, printing finish and error sound effects have been added to large and small 3D Printers
  • Animations, audio and bugfixes for tripod weapons have been worked on
  • Sound category support for audio signal devices has been completed
  • Work on Audio Signal Device Mark II-B ("jukebox") has started
User Interface
  • Work on implementing company bank accounts continues
  • Work on crafting UI continues, work on module crafting function has started
  • Work on Mission personnel -page has started

Art

Animations and Emotes
  • Aim animations for player operating the tripod have been made
  • Tripod autocannon reload animation has been worked on
Stations and Cities
  • Level art for planet city bridge slot has been finished
  • Landing/takeoff hologram signs have been added to help better guide players to landing platforms both from space and from the ground
Other
  • Factory area assets have been added (not yet fully implemented)
  • Snap issues for duct pipe assets have been fixed
  • The raised part from intersections in the bigger intersection beams has been removed
  • New cliff material for moon type 2 (City moon)
  • Viper armor set textures and paintjobs have been updated
  • 25 player tag icons have been created
  • Exorium processing unit rework has been completed
  • An issue with Whiplash and Antigel Rifle projectiles spawning behind the weapons at low frame rates has been fixed
  • Tripod Autocannon VFX has been updated
  • Laser Cutter's spark and burning metal VFX have been reworked

Gallery

Week16_2021_Starbase_area_factory_assets_preview.jpg Week16_2021_Starbase_area_factory_assets_preview2.jpg Week16_2021_Starbase_area_factory_assets_preview3.jpg Week16_2021_Starbase_city_canal_bridge_slot.jpg Week16_2021_Starbase_city_canal_bridge_slot2.jpg Week16_2021_Starbase_exorium_processing_unit_01.jpg Week16_2021_Starbase_armorsets_viper_polish.jpg Week16_2021_Starbase_exorium_processing_unit_02.jpg Week16_2021_Starbase_moon_cliffmaterial.jpg

As always, feel free to ask any questions regarding these progress notes!
And if you haven't yet, go add Starbase to your Steam wishlist!

XenoCow

Master endo
I'm very curious to see how the area factory works. I'm worried that it's going to be some sort of magic area where things get built without much of any intervention or design. The assets look good, though.

CalenLoki

Master endo
I'm very curious to see how the area factory works. I'm worried that it's going to be some sort of magic area where things get built without much of any intervention or design. The assets look good, though.
I hope that it's such simplified "clf that builds stuff". Player made crafting is needed ASAP, and more complex solution would take way to much time to develop.
Later it can be just made less efficient/more expensive than proper robot arms based factory.
Kind of middle ground between device SSC and physical building.

XenoCow

Master endo
I hope that it's such simplified "clf that builds stuff". Player made crafting is needed ASAP, and more complex solution would take way to much time to develop.
Yeah, I see your point. I'm fine with that as long as it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
i only got a fragment of the information. but heres some from lauri about it

LauriFB — Today at 1:43 AM
factory area is the area where you build the factory inside
so it's kind of buildable lot (and will replace lots)

LauriFB — Today at 1:44 AM
certain factory devices work only inside areas, and some work everywhere
yes, green box is the area indicator

so basically large factory devices work everywhere but ship tech factory devices work only inside those areas

been also told that they are modular. but the instanced question is yet to be answered, among other ones. but atleast intervention and design is still possible with them.

XenoCow

Master endo
i only got a fragment of the information. but heres some from lauri about it

LauriFB — Today at 1:43 AM
factory area is the area where you build the factory inside
so it's kind of buildable lot (and will replace lots)

certain factory devices work only inside areas, and some work everywhere
yes, green box is the area indicator

so basically large factory devices work everywhere but ship tech factory devices work only inside those areas

been also told that they are modular. but the instanced question is yet to be answered, among other ones. but atleast intervention and design is still possible with them.
This sounds much better than what I was worrying about. It sounds like these areas are a solution to areas only being loaded when players are around. So, the factories will still work while nobody is around. That's reasonable enough.