Starbase Progress Notes: Week 31 (2021)

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Starbase Progress Notes: Week 31 (2021)
August 2nd - 6th

Hello everyone, here are the progress notes of the week 31 of 2021!

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Starbase Early Access. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

Design

Features
  • Rare ores popping out in locations they should not has been fixed
  • Ymrium not being collectable via Mining Backpack or Ore Collector has been fixed
  • Work on resolving issues with Easy Build Mode continues
  • Moon base building has been tested, and more building features have been designed
  • Configuring moon mining for different tools, devices and explosives is underway
User Interface
  • Factory halls tutorial design has been worked on
  • New insurance transfer setup tutorial design has been worked on
  • Confirmation pop-up for the "Sell all" operation for sell terminal was designed
In-game Designers
  • Snapping has been fixed for Bottleneck 4 Curved module: The module should now allow placing Curved Basic module on both sides
  • Two modules which could cause durability issues have been updated: L-Shape Basic Corner and Corner 1 Ore Crate

Code

Gameplay
  • Issues with Easy Build Mode module snapping have been investigated
  • Issue with safe zones not being initialized for newly created stations has been fixed
  • Workaround for the ModuleHandle duplication has been worked on
  • Work on adding module creation to Easy Build Mode start for ships that have lost their module references continues
  • A fix for spawning a ship and entering Easy Build Mode causing two ships to be in the area and causing problems has been started
  • Station servers have been optimized: Limited the number of visible player stations on densely populated areas
User Interface
  • A fix for ghost items appearing when picking up items too fast has been worked on
In-game Designers
  • Automatic thruster renaming prenamed thrusters from premade ships, causing them to get stuck in Easy Build Mode has been fixed
  • A fix for automatic thruster renaming working outside Easy Build Mode has been made

Art

Art notes
  • Work on melee related animations continues
  • Area for bolts has been increased on the advanced crafting bench
  • Ore tower holograms have been adjusted slightly to be better aligned to the resource ports
  • A typo in Dynastar ship shop logo has been fixed
  • Minor LOD and hologram updates done in stations
  • Spawning dust particles increased when moving in space

Gallery

Week31_2021_Starbase_nav_chip_data_saver_wip.png Week31_2021_Starbase_Wip_skyscraperApartment_01.jpg

Purchase Starbase Early Access now on Steam!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the great work. I really love this game you have created.
I have only one remark, why below point? I hate those, can we have an option to disable this in Options menu please.
If you really want to know which direction you are flying look at astroids. Or DEV team create a G-Force Item you can configure that shows the pilot the direction.
  • Spawning dust particles increased when moving in space

Kap

Active endo
I absolutely adore that the chip saver is so huge, need some proper ships to go get the nav data! Love it!

Salbris

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
It's great to see fixes for easy mode being prioritized but I'm pretty discouraged seeing that moon bases are being worked on when stations still have a lot of work needed before they are usable. Why are factory fixes, item cargo containers, shared company storage, and non-safe zone station fixes not a priority at this time?

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
"
  • Configuring moon mining for different tools, devices and explosives is underway
"
Ah yeah, explosive mining! That sounds fun!

I'm so hyped for the factory hall to receive functionality, maybe associate the faster crafting speed with machines, building assembly lines sounds incredible

All this is pretty great stuff! I do want to address something that I've seen. I saw that you said asteroids don't respawn. I think this is not a good choice if you want the game to grow. We need resources to build, and if it's all mined out, how can we continue to build and replace our crafted items? Eventually, noobs would get discouraged by the scarcity and expense of resources and quit.