Starbase Progress Notes: Week 32 (2021)

Please address the station ship limits, or the issues surrounding ships in the station vicinity (non-safe zone). Ships are teleporting out of the station positioning exactly along specific axis's at X, Y, Z etc

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Will Coordinate chips be capital ships only?
Navigation chip data saver can be installed on normal chips and the chips are separate items which can be traded.

Can we siege moon bases like station or it's intouchable ?
Moon base sieges are planned at a later stage after station siege.

Would be nice to see some sort of indication as to how close to completion each section is as well though, if possible. Nothing binding obviously, but just and indication of how far each area has to go, at current estimation. E.g. Done, Nearly Done, Still developing, Starting development, Designed, Starting Design - pick one! :)
We plan add this to next week's progress notes, among with how long a feature has been under work.

Incredibly progress report, hype meter thru the roof! But I am sad that only the first moon will be buildable upon at the start. What if we want to go hide far away? :D
Rest of the moons will soon follow :D We just want to make sure everyone has better method than slowboating to the moons, ie. either more fast travel gates or capital ships available. Also some extra time helps to get the moon terrain as nice as it's possible, with enough variery, as once building and digging starts then the terrain is locked.

so does that mean we will get new moons with new belts or that some of the moons don't currently have belts but will soon receive some, like e.g. Mare?
Belts should be there already, they just don't contain asteroids yet, except for first moon.

so if im reading this right moon mining is only in the programming stage? is it safe to assume we won't be seeing it this month and the roadmap is already falling behind?
Programming stage is the last stage with that feature. That being said it's working at our end, and we plan to add it to PTU within the next two updates.

cl0ck

Learned-to-sprint endo
Navigation chip data saver can be installed on normal chips and the chips are separate items which can be traded.

Moon base sieges are planned at a later stage after station siege.

We plan add this to next week's progress notes, among with how long a feature has been under work.

Rest of the moons will soon follow :D We just want to make sure everyone has better method than slowboating to the moons, ie. either more fast travel gates or capital ships available. Also some extra time helps to get the moon terrain as nice as it's possible, with enough variery, as once building and digging starts then the terrain is locked.

Belts should be there already, they just don't contain asteroids yet, except for first moon.

Programming stage is the last stage with that feature. That being said it's working at our end, and we plan to add it to PTU within the next two updates.
Cool, thanks!

Repair hall (design)

Allows players to "drive in" or spawn a ship in a hall and get it repaired with parts, ore and some money.

Blueprint chips (programming)

Allows storing blueprints for trading or manufacturing use. Chips can be either secure or non-secure. The secure chips can only be used for manufacturing, while content from the non-secure chips can be further edited in the Ship Designer.

Blueprint caster (programming)

Casts a blueprint for manufacturing, or just for fun from a blueprint chip. For manufacturing purposes a number of other devices are needed as well, such as a 3D printer and an item spawner, and of course a ton of energy.

Blueprint filler (programming)

A technology that allows a ship blueprint or any blueprint cast by the blueprint caster to auto-fill itself using parts found nearby. Usually combined with item storage, a 3D printer and an item spawner to automate the process. Works also with ship blueprints for field repairs.

Factory halls (programming)

Factory halls enable building various factories inside stations, bases and Capital Ships. For example, with the upcoming blueprint projector and its additional tools, a ship building factory is possible.
What's the vision/intention for Factory Halls given that Blueprint Caster/Fillers and 3D Printers seem to do a lot of heavy lifting?

I can't find the video that I am thinking of.. but it essentially showed putting plates and beams together via rail movers, tractor beams, etc. Seemingly demonstrating automation at a fairly low level. Where ships are put together by robotic arms beam by beam, bolt by bolt. Rather than this 3D printing approach. Now given I can't even find the video.. I could be crazy. But assuming that video did exist -- has there been a design shift, am I missing something, or is it that there are options as far as how you go about automation?

EDIT: I found the video:

SubaruSama

Veteran endo
You are clearly underestimating us
If we can't build on the moons we will start with stations in the orbit right above the moons^^

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
What's the vision/intention for Factory Halls given that Blueprint Caster/Fillers and 3D Printers seem to do a lot of heavy lifting?

I can't find the video that I am thinking of.. but it essentially showed putting plates and beams together via rail movers, tractor beams, etc. Seemingly demonstrating automation at a fairly low level. Where ships are put together by robotic arms beam by beam, bolt by bolt. Rather than this 3D printing approach. Now given I can't even find the video.. I could be crazy. But assuming that video did exist -- has there been a design shift, am I missing something, or is it that there are options as far as how you go about automation?
The new approach is more feasible to implement at player end while also supporting fine-tuning of the production line. In essence, the basic blueprint caster can work by pulling the parts from a single location, but this is super-inefficient since it only pulls one piece per time and it's pretty slow. To speed this up there's two main methods:
  1. Pre-assemble sections. Instead of using one large blueprint, have the ship or device made from multiple sections, each assembled at their own station. If the sections are well-planned, the final assembly can be quick even if it's manual labor.
  2. Use rails-attached object spawners or carry methods to bring correct parts closer and in right order. This will speed up the manufacturing a lot, since the assembly time with blueprint filler is almost all from the object being pulled to the blueprint.
And of course you can combine the two methods for even more optimized results.

While this manufacturing method allows also the slow but very easy "just spawn stuff" or even "just craft stuff and drop them to the world", it also allows pretty sophisticated devices. Once ship selling starts to require stock, the manufacturing automation and speed are crucial parts of successful industry.

SubaruSama

Veteran endo
also, just reread that, the
We just want to make sure everyone has better method than slowboating to the moons, ie. either more fast travel gates or capital ships available.
part
so does that imply either player made warpgates around the same time CapS hit the game or will there be some more dev ones? I hope not anymore gates from the dev side, it's more fun getting out there and doing stuff ourselves afterall
also what's the point in chip trading and such when everyone has like warpgates ready to simply go everywhere? if those are player made ones and you have to actually fight for control or pay for use or anything that's one thing, would motivate players to set up a whole network afterall

The new approach is more feasible to implement at player end while also supporting fine-tuning of the production line. In essence, the basic blueprint caster can work by pulling the parts from a single location, but this is super-inefficient since it only pulls one piece per time and it's pretty slow. To speed this up there's two main methods:
  1. Pre-assemble sections. Instead of using one large blueprint, have the ship or device made from multiple sections, each assembled at their own station. If the sections are well-planned, the final assembly can be quick even if it's manual labor.
  2. Use rails-attached object spawners or carry methods to bring correct parts closer and in right order. This will speed up the manufacturing a lot, since the assembly time with blueprint filler is almost all from the object being pulled to the blueprint.
And of course you can combine the two methods for even more optimized results.

While this manufacturing method allows also the slow but very easy "just spawn stuff" or even "just craft stuff and drop them to the world", it also allows pretty sophisticated devices. Once ship selling starts to require stock, the manufacturing automation and speed are crucial parts of successful industry.
I just wanted to get on here and tell you that your way of communication and the effort you put into these updates and roadmap are excellent. One of the big problems I find in games like DU or even a Star Citizen for example, is the (lack of) communication, transparancy and simply devs/members of the team conversing with the playerbase. Besides the fact this creates a lot more hype, it also gives longevity to alpha state games. An absolute well-deserved compliment in my opinion!

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
so does that imply either player made warpgates around the same time CapS hit the game or will there be some more dev ones? I hope not anymore gates from the dev side, it's more fun getting out there and doing stuff ourselves afterall
also what's the point in chip trading and such when everyone has like warpgates ready to simply go everywhere? if those are player made ones and you have to actually fight for control or pay for use or anything that's one thing, would motivate players to set up a whole network afterall
Most likely all of the other moons need to be slowboated first to get the navigational chips to the market.

However, it's not like the current moon slowboating: you can divide the journey to multiple steps and change who's flying next leg mid-way: simply get coordinates to say 3 hours away, fly back 3 hours, give coordinates to cap ship, go to coordinates with cap ship and continue from there. And since you can make navigational chips with time, you can duplicate same locations, establish mid-way bases etc., and all of sudden there's a lot lot of people doing the effort. Or you can solo, if you really don't like others, or buy the coordinates from the first explorers.

Player-made fast travel gates most likely still would be very useful, as they won't consume fuel and allow also smaller than capital ships to take the journey. I'd imagine gates in the future could also save capital ship charge time so a network would be suitable for them too.

I just wanted to get on here and tell you that your way of communication and the effort you put into these updates and roadmap are excellent. One of the big problems I find in games like DU or even a Star Citizen for example, is the (lack of) communication, transparancy and simply devs/members of the team conversing with the playerbase. Besides the fact this creates a lot more hype, it also gives longevity to alpha state games. An absolute well-deserved compliment in my opinion!
Thanks! :D

SubaruSama

Veteran endo
However, it's not like the current moon slowboating: you can divide the journey to multiple steps and change who's flying next leg mid-way: simply get coordinates to say 3 hours away, fly back 3 hours, give coordinates to cap ship, go to coordinates with cap ship and continue from there.
So people won't be able to just go there, take the ship into inventory, go back to origin via insurance transfer and bring the CapS there? Like fly there in a one way trip, isurance transfer, fly the CapS there, collect the previously abandoned ship?

CalenLoki

Master endo
So people won't be able to just go there, take the ship into inventory, go back to origin via insurance transfer and bring the CapS there? Like fly there in a one way trip, isurance transfer, fly the CapS there, collect the previously abandoned ship?
I believe that in the future insurance transfer will leave all your items behind. So you need to fly there and back to bring the coords.

SubaruSama

Veteran endo
well, in the future, but how far in the future are we talking about? like in in half a year? the same update the CapS arrive? 2 months later?
there is a big difference there

Venombrew

Master endo
@LauriFB i seen the posts where the lag and fps issues happen when mining down inside the moon, which this isn't my question, you guys have that fix in no time. but with being able to dig down inside the moon will underground bases be a thing?