Starbase Progress Notes: Week 35 (2021)

ElluFB

Forever locked into The Pool
Frozenbyte
Forum_ProgressNotes.png

Hello everyone, here are the progress notes of the week 35 of 2021!

This week's progress notes include a few different important gameplay features, and their state of development. Hope you enjoy these snippets of the Starbase development!

Please note that the "Progress Notes" are different from the Starbase "Patch Notes". Progress Notes are snippets from the development team and what has been worked on during the previous week, and many of the features might not be present in the current or upcoming builds of the Starbase Early Access. Some features, especially in the design portion, can be subject to change as the development continues.

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Starbase Progress Notes: Week 35 (2021)

🔴 = Not started
🟡 = In progress
🔵 = Completed

In-game ship building from blueprints
Table_1.png

Ship repair shop system
Table_2.png

Player station expansion
Table_3.png

Craters on the moon
Table_4.png

Gallery

blueprintsaving_mockup_v2.jpg cratershot3.jpg cratershot10.jpg repairshop_mockup_v3.jpg

Videos

discord_sb__divider_sb.png

Purchase Starbase Early Access now on Steam!

Last edited:

AlexiyOne

Well-known endo
I like these new dots for progress notes, someone like me who has trouble telling between green and red, this is really helpful. Great updates too! Can't wait for factories.

Throdnk

Well-known endo
Great progress!
Can the updated blueprint of a ship modified outside the designer be saved and used in the designer? Only then would it be feasible to really design outside the designer.

Kmank

Well-known endo
Hey, good update, but when you encode data in colour form you should also have it encoded in another way to help with those with colour blindness (such as a triangle/square/circle system). You fixed the red-green issue but now you might find those with Tritanomaly will have issues (blue-green). GMTK did a good video about it here:

Last edited:

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Can the updated blueprint of a ship modified outside the designer be saved and used in the designer? Only then would it be feasible to really design outside the designer.
Yes, the in-world blueprints can also be opened in the designer.

There's also later coming ability to drive your ship back to designer (which has similar effect, but allows doing edits to the ship directly and using the existing ship to cover majority of costs involved).

I really like the blueprint projection and ship assembly.
Just don't forget that some of our ship have 9000+ pieces. With 5 seconds by piece, it's around 14 hours to assembly a ship.
Not sure that everyone can let the computer run for 14 hours and what will happens if the user unload during the process?
And also in term of gameplay, will people enjoy having to wait for so long. (because you will have to stay for 14h near the ship)

I must say, this :In-game ship building from blueprints is the most wanted thing in the game. since repair works in space now reliable.

Throdnk

Well-known endo
Will the bolts used for filled parts match those of the blueprint or those of auto-bolt? Auto-bolt has issues in many cases, to state it short.

I really like the blueprint projection and ship assembly.
Just don't forget that some of our ship have 9000+ pieces. With 5 seconds by piece, it's around 14 hours to assembly a ship.
Not sure that everyone can let the computer run for 14 hours and what will happens if the user unload during the process?
And also in term of gameplay, will people enjoy having to wait for so long. (because you will have to stay for 14h near the ship)
That is indeed an interesting question. I thought our factory halls would be the place where this is assembled, and that it was an automated process where we didn't have to be present. I dunno wether that is true though. But that brings to mind what is the thought behind the atmosphere mining and stuff, do we need to be near the moonbases for that stuff to work too, or can we fly around and come back to full "tanks" or whatever?

How much of the moon surface will be pvp enabled? We will be able to eventually siege moon bases?

J.D.

Veteran endo
very nice looking. Im wondering about the welding, and bolting of ships in this process.. do we still need to manually weld and bolt? i have issues in game with bolting, because of the lack of bolt quantity i like to use on plates to increase durability, and also to make it "uniform" as in, not only stronger, but neater. I dont like autobolt unless its with modules. it does well with modules. If there was a way we could further control the autobolting process, that would be awesome imo.

Oh wow; those blueprint chips look awesome! Will it ever be possible to make limited production chips? (for example, after 10x the volume of the original ship is printed with limited production chip, the chip would delete itself/become blank)

This way it would be possible for builders to make a profit entirely from selling blueprint chips of their designs. It would also make unlimited production chips far more valuable (I imagine wars would be started over them)