Station Storage Letdown

William Wolfen

Learned-to-sprint endo
So I finally deployed a station this evening, only to be shocked that my station storage isn't there. I've been to 4 or 5 different origin stations and always had my stuff, so I'm really disappointed in finding that it's not at my station. Actually kinda renders the station useless to me as I didn't setup my first one all that far out. It's not so much that I mind per-station storage, it's just that there's no precedent for it before making your own station. Also doesn't help that your personal station doesn't come with any station services, like refueling, ship designer, shops, etc. Seems like there's basically no point in leaving the origin area. Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't find any useful documentation anywhere.

Last edited:
The main reasons for this are IMHO that

a) transportation logistic is supposed to be part of the game, with the need to protect your transports - which is why origin stations and private stations do not share storage

b) You are supposed to build everything you mentioned on your own. At the moment stations are only roughly implemented though. A refill-station should be possible, you got unlimited storage for now and you can build factory halls. I think most factory mechanics still need to be implemented though.

William Wolfen

Learned-to-sprint endo
So if transportation is supposed to be a thing, why do origin stations share storage?

Sure I can build things out there. But are you seriously suggesting that everyone should have to hand build, from scratch, every ship they use once departing the origin station area? That takes hours and hours of work. What's the point of having the ship designer then?

While you are right that it would be more consequent to let the origin stations NOT share their storage, a reason they still do so might be that it's more beginner-friendly. Maybe there are more reasons which i don't see right now.
I'm really not that deep into what the game currently offers and what it will offer. I am pretty sure though that you will be able to build ships quickly, probably even fully automated at private stations. You just have to bring the resources for that to the station. Either ores which you craft the parts out of or the prebuild parts. For automated production you also need to set up a factory yourself.
It's all rather complex, but that's on purpose I guess. Because not everyone is supposed to do everything on their own in order to create a living market.

And there is also a station designer in starbase, but I think it's currently deactivated.

Maybe someone else can give more details though. I'm starting to assume to much. ;)

William Wolfen

Learned-to-sprint endo
This game really needs some documentation. I can't reliably find info on what's in the game, was in the game but now isn't, and what's coming. Much less which is which.

Salbris

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Okay so FYI:
- Factory halls are the current place to build "machines". You can bolt, cable, and pipe things within the hall which means you can setup a refueling station by connecting propellant tanks to a resource bridge.
- They plan to add more automation to the factory/station where you can build parts and even ships automatically.
- They plan to provide stations with a building that gives you the ship design, easy build, and places to store ships.
- Stations do not have infinite storage it's something like half as big as origin. I think it may even by only 500 slots big or something.
- Overall stations are in a pretty poor state at the moment they are basically just storage, refueling, and safe zone.

Jakaal

Active endo
This game really needs some documentation. I can't reliably find info on what's in the game, was in the game but now isn't, and what's coming. Much less which is which.
The reason smaller dev teams don't bother with that stuff is b/c it's a full time job in and of itself. So do you want another dev making changes to the game or someone taking up a seat just writing documentation?

Throdnk

Well-known endo
I'd like to add that there is a discord channel #starbase-questions where you generally get info about basic questions from other players within a few minutes.

Last edited:

Greebo

Well-known endo
Okay so FYI:
- Stations do not have infinite storage it's something like half as big as origin. I think it may even by only 500 slots big or something.
Currently stations have infinite storage, source: thousands and thousands of station blocks

Salbris

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Interesting maybe they increased it without mentioning in an update? Early on it was highly restrictive.

So if transportation is supposed to be a thing, why do origin stations share storage?

Sure I can build things out there. But are you seriously suggesting that everyone should have to hand build, from scratch, every ship they use once departing the origin station area? That takes hours and hours of work. What's the point of having the ship designer then?
Its because Origin is a relatively small array of station meant to help new players.

I believe eventually the origin stations wont be linked not that it matters any way.
The function of a personal station will be to store ore to be transported or used later 4000 Slots is the max of a player station.
You can build a factory area that you can use to store fuel,tools,weapons etc.
You have a SZ around the station that will allow you to park a ship and log off for a while or go AFK without the worry of your ship being raided.