Station Tracking?

About navigational system we have some discussions on Starbase Construction Recommendations Discord server (not a faction, this is a community server).
We expecting to have navigational buoys all over the space, so you will know your position relatively to them.
Navigation system will be created and maintained by several factions like Cardinal Guild, STAR Industries, Cylon (not a faction), The Collective, SkyJack Industries.
Stations probably will post their coordinates using same system.

As far as im aware there wont be a map. becourse of that most factions will create their own...
anyone got an idea how to syncronise those different maps so we can make better and more detailed maps for the public?

Morrgard

Master endo
As far as im aware there wont be a map. becourse of that most factions will create their own...
anyone got an idea how to syncronise those different maps so we can make better and more detailed maps for the public?
I think there was a faction dedicated to making a public map, I think Cylon might have something done in YOLOL otherwise

Sendall

Active endo
Look for the Cardinal Guild on the Faction Finder. Lead by MeisterKeen they are looking to map Starbase. They have come from Worlds Adrift where they did the same thing.

Morrgard

Master endo
Look for the Cardinal Guild on the Faction Finder. Lead by MeisterKeen they are looking to map Starbase. They have come from Worlds Adrift where they did the same thing.
Yes, I believe those were who I was thinking of, thank you Sendall!

Kane Hart

Veteran endo
We learned a bit more on them from Lauri and quite surprised visually 200km and later on 1000km

Text Version:
transmitter signal strength is largest when close, so the tricky part navigating with them is to know the strength of the transmitter (but the transmitter could just broadcast it's strength among other information if it wishes)
the station view distance is currently 200 km but most likely will be around 1000 km in the final game, so plain visual navigation is a thing
That being said you can use Transmisters / Radio's for location finding. I'm hoping that Stations themselves will have really high range to the point they kind of spread far enough to get create a GPS system in space to some degree till our own property can load in space and we can create say a GPS network.

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
Factions will for sure create their own, somewhat expected there.

Morrgard

Master endo
I just hope it won't be too difficult to manually navigate by seeing little specks that are stations all over the place

"hmm which is ours?"
"That one?"
"okay lets go"

Goes across the galaxy in the wrong direction missing proper navigation
haha would be fun to see this happen but not fun to happen to yourself, but I believe this will turn out just fine.

AlexiyOne

Well-known endo
Interesting, my company I am planning creating will focus on being fuel stations for refueling and also relaxing, this universal transmitter code stations sounds neat!

CalenLoki

Master endo
You can use celestial bodies for navigation. Eos, moons and the belt. So even without built-in coordinates, it will be easy to calculate your position with simple Yolol code and 3 turrets.

My guess is that common agreement will be:
Starting stations will be 0,0,0
Line from starting station to Eos will be X-axis,
Line perpendicular to the belt an X-axis will be Z-axis, with positive values towards more sunny side of the belt.
Line perpendicular to X and Z axis will be Y-axis, with positive values towards left.

+ maybe some more precise local coordinates in areas of denser population (megastations, moons). Those can be done with transmitter/receiver nav.

AlexiyOne

Well-known endo
Will people figure out how to make a display map or just a meter showing how close they are to a specific location?

PopeUrban

Veteran endo
Will people figure out how to make a display map or just a meter showing how close they are to a specific location?
Likely a combination of both. The map is probably going to look a lot more like a wormhole chart from EVE if you've ever done wormhole stuff there. Not very much ingame info but a dedicated mapping organization can triangulate your position based on your distance from beacons and put you on a map contained on a website. You type in three beacons and your distance, it puts a dot on the map to show you where you are and where nearby beacons are so you have something to orient to.

If history is any indication, any faction that can do this successfully and remain militarily neutral gets something really special in the sandbox: Diplomatic Immunity

Even in the most hostile games, if you find a way to make yourself useful to everyone, and attack no one, you can actually achieve a peaceful existence. You just have to be REALLY useful.