Vectored thrust and VTOL and that kinda stuff

five

Master endo
How effective would it be to programm and implement vectored thrust into Starbase?

It would probalby be a YOLOL code that constantly checks for a e.g. Pitch value and translate that value into a value usable by the hinge that then turns. With this you could do a landing mode:
You have a button assigned that changes into VTOL mode => turns the thrusters 90 degrees downwards. Once in flight You would pitch normally with your maneuver thrusters and have extra pitch capabilities through your Vectored thrust. It wouldn't exactly be the classical Vectored Thrust like the F-22 or the one of the Su-57 but it could and hopefully would work.
What is your standpoint?

Your curious fella, five

I have a couple ideas. The first being:
Right now the thrusters have to be stuck to the frame, but the pilot seat and other components like weapons do not have to be. You would have to do most of it with YOLOL and forgo the FCU, but I believe you could have the entire ship rotate around the pilots perspective and achieve any orientation of thrust with only one large thruster pack. Similar to Jango Fett's slave I, only have the ship utilize the maneuver while fighting.

The second idea is to also forgo the individual thruster modulation the FCU provides. You can do it with four main thruster packs, all static and radial to the axis from bow to stern. From the back this would appear as a top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right thruster.
As only one of the thrusters fires, the ship will both pitch and yaw while also moving forward. You can use YOLOL to calculate the angle you want to pitch at and use some form of trigonometry (or more advanced math if you're better than I am) to calculate which thrusters should fire and the impulse to move the ship accordingly.

You could combine the two if you found a use for it. The first idea is a replacement for VTOL and would potentially make a formidable combat ship. The second idea replaces gimballed thrusters with static ones while achieving the same thing.

The main downside I can see with both ideas is complexity. You would need to center everything as perfectly as you can and manually trim each thruster until the ship flies perfectly straight. You will always have a slightly asymmetric design so this is required.

That, or you can use a sort of PID (proportional, integral, derivative) control to trim the ship. The ship would need to know its angle values in space and you would need to use a coordinate system to tell the computer how you were flying so it could trim itself. Once the values were established, I think the chip could be removed from the ship and the ship could be sold that way. Sort of a calibration chip.

All theoretical ideas since I have not had the chance to build a ship yet.

five

Master endo
I have a couple ideas. The first being:
Right now the thrusters have to be stuck to the frame, but the pilot seat and other components like weapons do not have to be. You would have to do most of it with YOLOL and forgo the FCU, but I believe you could have the entire ship rotate around the pilots perspective and achieve any orientation of thrust with only one large thruster pack. Similar to Jango Fett's slave I, only have the ship utilize the maneuver while fighting.

The second idea is to also forgo the individual thruster modulation the FCU provides. You can do it with four main thruster packs, all static and radial to the axis from bow to stern. From the back this would appear as a top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right thruster.
As only one of the thrusters fires, the ship will both pitch and yaw while also moving forward. You can use YOLOL to calculate the angle you want to pitch at and use some form of trigonometry (or more advanced math if you're better than I am) to calculate which thrusters should fire and the impulse to move the ship accordingly.

You could combine the two if you found a use for it. The first idea is a replacement for VTOL and would potentially make a formidable combat ship. The second idea replaces gimballed thrusters with static ones while achieving the same thing.
As far as I know YOLOL is even capable of trigonometry.

five

Master endo
The main downside I can see with both ideas is complexity. You would need to center everything as perfectly as you can and manually trim each thruster until the ship flies perfectly straight. You will always have a slightly asymmetric design so this is required.

That, or you can use a sort of PID (proportional, integral, derivative) control to trim the ship. The ship would need to know its angle values in space and you would need to use a coordinate system to tell the computer how you were flying so it could trim itself. Once the values were established, I think the chip could be removed from the ship and the ship could be sold that way. Sort of a calibration chip.

All theoretical ideas since I have not had the chance to build a ship yet.
I don't think that you would have to calibrate it semi-manually using YOLOL, but balancing the ship out is an important aspect of building one as seen in FrozenBytes Video about the ship designer (Link:
), where the Protagonist had to move the generator units, in order to properly balance the ship.

As far as I know YOLOL is even capable of trigonometry.
I sure hope it can do basic trig at least. It's very useful math for calculating vectors in a Cartesian coordinate plane out of angles and such..

I only mention it because I know the FCU does it for you, and to achieve what I am explaining I think you'd need to get rid of the FCU.