What do you guys think about the playerbase situation? what do you think about the future?

I do agree with this statement. But I would add that industrialists and builders form similar long term relationships. There are many who prefer to build, and develop factory systems which feed an economy. My friends and I are a case in point.

As with most things in life a balance needs to be struck between those who wish to build and those who wish to blow things up. You need both sets of people to create the heat/friction/cycle within the game. I'm not an avid pvp'r myself, but it's pvp'rs who will buy the stuff I build when theirs gets blown up. Plus, I can sit in a asteroid field an mine afk, but thats dull. What if I am sitting in a belt mining and have to watch and manage defensive systems and counter measures, playing cat and mouse with pvp'rs. Surely thats more interesting? Give the fighters the tools to fight, give the builders the tools to defend. Builder's are not sheep to the wolves, it should be play and counter play.

That cycle and balance will keep people for the long term, ensure 'fairness', provide points of conflict, and strategic options to play with.

The current state is you are either the hunter or the hunted. Grey areas create interest and opportunity.
The fact of the matter is they both need each other in a successful and healthy game. PvE is player vs environment. PvP is part of that environment. They aren't in competition for attention. They both form a symbiotic relationship in PvP centric games. The fighters can't fight without people providing the ships, for example. The people building the ships need the miners. The miners need the fighters for protection. And on and on.

The game engine seems impressive. Yet there isn't really much to do and hardly any direction at all if there is. Everything is annoying to figure out, takes time and effort and the payoff is hard to measure, because it's almost non existent. For example I'll spend hours or days building a miner in SSC...and just never print it out because what is the point? I can go use it on the PTU if I want to see if it works, but what is the actual point of mining for credits if the credits will just build me ships to make more credits and have no real purpose beyond that? It's a broken loop. using weapons costs money and almost has no reward at all, just a huge cost sink. The question isnt why are people leaving.... it's why the hell would they stay?

ELES

Endokid
The player situation isn't going to get better.

This game was released in a particularly poor and unfinished state, even for early access. This put people off.

Frozonbyte has furthermore been more than a little rude to customers publicly who have questioned their decisions(which more often then not seem informed by devs having ig feelings about things and taking them out of game), which is definitely not a great choice as a company.

They've also repeatedly ignored anything resembling criticism or worries, which has bit them in the ass already with tripods(literally everything about tripods being broken as a concept was predicted by multiple people, and summarily dismissed before it came to pass).

Finally, they've done nothing about the toxic mess that is the remaining playerbase.

The stream reviews have already fallen to mixed after dancing just over that line. Of the original ten people I played the game with, only one is still trying to play, and even they admit that it's more sunk cost them actual enjoyment.

The game is already dead, the remaining playerbase just doesn't realize it yet. Most of the demographics interested in this game have either been driven off, warned away, or won't buy a game that has a mixed rating like this because they know what it means.

Hell, it's not even been three months, and the games already on sale. I'd be surprised if they even get a quarter of the remaining roadmap before abandoning it.