What is the plan to make capital ships less boxy?

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
Right now with EBM making anything that is not a 90 or 45 degree angle is not possible, without freeform welding plates. Most of the builds I think people will want to do will involve more than just these angles, so builds are looking blocky so far, and personally I have been loosing interest in them because of it.

The large benefit in indestructible civvy caps in my eyes is that they can ignore a 'meta' to just be works of art. Boxes to me, are not very artistic.

Freeform welding plates currently is extremely clunky, and while technically possible, I have not been able to get them to snap the plates to eachother to continue a flat surface, nor do I think this would even look good as it is a freehand angle in universe with no precise angular manipulation. (being off by even one degree of an angle will result in a 17 meter difference at the other end of your ship if you could snap them if the capital ship is just 1km long. thats a huge discrepancy)

So, my question is what is the plan for making capital ship hull shaping less blocky/clunky to do, and what is the vague timeline of when we will get it (I know this is a stretch, I am asking for a loose order of plans, ie first itteration, a bit later getting free-cam editor, then prettier plating after that)?

P.S: Freecam editor for capital ships and stations when? 200m long is painful to do already, i cant immagine myself doing 1km... ever?

Couldn't agree more. As a ship designer, my personal 'style' involves a lot of odd angles and shapes for sleek looking designs.

Not being able to do that for capitals has put me off on them completely as it'd clash with the rest of my designs.

Probably won't build one until we have a special beam equivalent for them.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Capital ships support individual station parts (even already). However, the interface currently doesn't make sense, and we are middle of combining the two different in-world building systems to one fun to use system. We'll also add the separate parts categories under capital ships as well. The single part mode will support a lot more angles.

We'll also add more variety to the parts which are mandatory (ie. frame for example).

Finally, SSC version is coming down the road, but this will take some time.