What will happen to stored items in stations when the storage-mechanism changes?

I read somewhere that the storage of private stations at some point will change from the unlimited storage they currently have to a model where you actually need storage containers (like with ships) in order to store items. Origin stations will be unaffected and keep their unlimited storage.
While I am not entirely sure where i read it, it seemed like a quote of an official. Please let me know if this is false or outdated information.

Since I stored a considerable amount of items and ore in my private storage, I am a bit worried now what will happen with existing storage when this update will be implemented. Could any official clarify this?

Salbris

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Nearly everyone probably has oodles of things in their stations as they are great place to store ore before hauling it back to origin. I very much doubt they will intentionally delete those items.

That being said I don't recall seeing anything about having "craftable limited storage". They do plan to make cargo containers for items (instead of just ore) and they plan to allow companies to share storage. But I would expect dynamic storage to be something we see when Inventory V2 is released (or shortly after?).

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Limited station storage will most likely remain as it is, and the crate storage is coming to expand it. That being said, stations will most likely convert to one station storage instead of the current personal ones. In that case the (other than owner) players will get their stuff mailed to them or similar solution. No items will be lost.