Why Do I Post My Starbase Videos to Youtube Alternatives?

XenoCow

Master endo
The simple answer: is that its free to me, gives my viewers choice (all five or six of them), and has the potential to earn me money much sooner than Youtube.

The long answer:

I enjoy experimenting and learning new things, as many of you who would want to play a game like Starbase would understand. Getting to try new platforms out is exciting; it's an adventure. That being said, I'm also not a fan of Youtube with it's lack of consistency, poor communication, and near monoploy. Not to say that the little guys are perfect, they have their own problems, namely attracting all the rejects from Youtube which can leave a bad taste in some people's mouths.

Despite the flaws of the alternatives, They also have some charms, quarks, and benefits that can be interesting and fun.

Odysee:
My favorite of the alternatives, this platform has the slickest looking website of all the alternatives I use. However, the most interesting part about it is it's integration with the in-house cryptocurrency, LBRY Credit (LBC). The whole website is based around boosting your videos with the LBC, spending it on videos that you want to boost / help the creators, and earning it through views and daily watch rewards.

So far, just through the daily watch reward I've earned ~230 LBC over 6 months (just clicking on a video counts) which at the time of writing this is about $30. Not bad for doing something I already do for free. Also, I'm just starting to earn LBC for views, about 0.7LBC per view. This means that I get about $0.07 per view (if they are logged in). I see some of the creators on there earning upwards of $40 per 1000 views ~ 40x more than Youtube's payout.

If you have over 100 subscribers on Youtube, you can have Odysee automatically transfer all your current and future videos over so you don't have to double upload. It's fairly easy, but I haven't been able to do it since I don't have that many subscribers. 😅

P.S. @Softwerker has already started posting his videos on here :)

BitChute:
This one often has a bad reputation because of the content that is often posted here. I don't really watch much on here myself. However, since it is the most well known of the Youtube alternatives, it has many people on it. My videos often get more views on here at the start since it does a good job of giving people equal opportunity to have their videos shown at the top off searches. After some time Youtube's algorithm and popularity do push it into the lead.

There aren't really any ways to make money on here yet, but it's nice to very quickly see that people care about the stuff you're making and the community funded business model is admirable.

Rumble:
I'm still learning the ins and outs of Rumble. I think it's a mobile application based platform. It focuses on having videos compete to become viral videos (Usually they are all animal videos). I'm not sure if any Starbase videos have viral potential, but I'm not giving up hope.

As for monitization, all videos are manually reviewed. I haven't earned anything yet, but I have gotten all my videos monetized much sooner than I ever would on Youtube since 4,000 subscribers and 10,000 watch hours are needed first now.

Conclusion:
I recommend all fellow Starbase video makers to at least consider using these platforms in addition to Youtube. There's no reason to stop putting your videos up on Youtube, but there is also no (or at least few) reasons to not put your videos up on these other platforms as well. You have extra security in knowing your videos are safe on many servers, your viewers have more choice, and you might even make a few bucks along the way.

I'll make this small so that you don't feel like I was just making this whole post to promote my channel and such... However, it would be a wasted opportunity to make this post and then not share links to my channels on those platforms. And yes, I might earn some money through you creating an account through these links (except on BitChute).
Odysee: https://odysee.com/$/invite/@XenoCow:8
Rumble: https://rumble.com/register/XenoCow/
BitChute: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/zdXFBXRs9Awm/

Well considering on youtube some false DMCA bot/scammer might hold your channel and monetization hostage, let alone youtube itself deciding to yeet you one day, it is best to have redundant uploads elsewhere. Also, I suggest if anyone ever uploads videos online, do not delete the original from your computer! You never know what might happen and lose that video forever. Sometimes viewers are more responsible than the uploader and will download all of a person's videos to archive them, but don't count on it, or for that person to even share their archive. Also as time goes on the features to mirror uploads cross-platform will be easier and easier. You have no idea how many videos over the years are lost to history( my own included)...