Can i build a ship that can split into two?

a question just popped up in my head. would it be possible to make a small ship, then copy-paste it next to each other, and connect them with only one or two beams. then you could install a weapon that if fired, takes out the beams, and boom, you have two fully functioning, independent ships. or you could build a large ship with some smaller attached to it and do the same thing. would that work?

CalenLoki

Master endo
ATM it would kind of work.
Kind of, because after separation they'll still be considered single ship by the game. That means single host for all of them (==input lag for all other pilots) and if you fly too far from the "main" ship, the "debris" ship will get despawned.
But physics-wise each of them will work as expected.

There are plans to change what is considered an independent ship by the game. It may or may not be tied to transponder device.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
As long as you had separate generators, FCUs and MFCs for each half, it could theoretically work, although as Loki said, half of it would despawn and input lag would be a problem if the two pilots live far away from each other. also setting up a weapon to fire at your own ship sounds costly and space-inefficient.
It is a neat idea, I have thought of something similar in the past, but it would be the opposite of practical.

ATM it would kind of work.
Kind of, because after separation they'll still be considered single ship by the game. That means single host for all of them (==input lag for all other pilots) and if you fly too far from the "main" ship, the "debris" ship will get despawned.
But physics-wise each of them will work as expected.

There are plans to change what is considered an independent ship by the game. It may or may not be tied to transponder device.
so if for example me and someone else use this design, as long as we stay relatively close together it would work?

thanks for the replies. i had two other things that i thought of. im pretty sure i could build a large carrier-like ship that has a few fighters in cargo beams and/or tractor beams right? the secone one like my original idea, but the two ships are connected by cargo lock beams or tractor beams. could that work?

CalenLoki

Master endo
so if for example me and someone else use this design, as long as we stay relatively close together it would work?
It depends on how close to each other you live. If nearby it'd be playable. If far (i.e. different continent) lag for one of you would be terrible.
I'd avoid it for now, and focus on cargo beams/frame based systems.

five

Master endo
thanks for the replies. i had two other things that i thought of. im pretty sure i could build a large carrier-like ship that has a few fighters in cargo beams and/or tractor beams right? the secone one like my original idea, but the two ships are connected by cargo lock beams or tractor beams. could that work?
the carrying part works already. u just have to make sure that the structure is strong enough and to the second part. Cargo lock beams disable engines if engaged (as can be seen in this video:
Time stamp 3:00). So one side would do the thrust and the other would also basically be "carried". tractor beams would need some testing, but if it would be possible could probably build something like podracers

the carrying part works already. u just have to make sure that the structure is strong enough and to the second part. Cargo lock beams disable engines if engaged (as can be seen in this video:
Time stamp 3:00). So one side would do the thrust and the other would also basically be "carried". tractor beams would need some testing, but if it would be possible could probably build something like podracers
ahh ok now i understand. now i just need to get into the game :)

It depends on how close to each other you live. If nearby it'd be playable. If far (i.e. different continent) lag for one of you would be terrible.
I'd avoid it for now, and focus on cargo beams/frame based systems.
that’s a great possibility of lag as the game recognises it as one ship of either of u were far e.g one at origin and another at mount gate the game will recognise as a really long ship with lots of dimensions causing lag

one thing that may happen (but I’m no programmer or server maintainer to know this so correct me) is that it can cause server wide lag due to the constant change in many many dimensions at once due to the game recognising it as one ship

I may not be right here so take this with a grain of salt, but it’s definitely a possibility