PVE is already failing...

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
Hi FB,

I think the desire to support PVE gameplay is already failing. Reasons:
1) I know there are plenty of asteroids in the Origin SZ area, but most of them are tiny. The bigger ones that players are interested in are going quickly. It's getting that you have to fly further to find them each time. Often you will spot one but when it comes out of low LoD it vanishes. It will only take a week or two more before there's no C9s in the Origin SZ (at least in a 40k radius sphere).
2) There's not enough SZ. Getting from the moon warp gate to anywhere useful seems to take you out of SZ. It seems a shame to deprive PVE players of so much area. I know we need flash points to drive conflict, but I feel the balance is swinging too far towards PvP and forcing it to an extent. Some of us just want to explore and build, without having to fight.

I hope you will keep a balance and a place for PvE gameplay in SB that is not just relegated to boring mining of scraps around the origins.

Cheers,
Mut.

Last edited:

XenoCow

Master endo
Do you not think that as player stations pop up the safezones will essentially be expanded? This of course requires that stations get a lot of love first.

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
Currently leaving the SZ near a player station is a surefire way of getting taken out by a group of PVP players, solo players in a miner/explorer ship do not have much of a chance against a pack of PVP players in fighters.
The way I see it now is that unless you have fire support (solo players normally do not) or are in a ship you consider disposable you don't leave the SZ.

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
Do you not think that as player stations pop up the safezones will essentially be expanded? This of course requires that stations get a lot of love first.
I don't expect this with the current design, no. Since you can't fly through a safe zone without the owner whitelisting you, it means that player stations actually become a barrier. So they could be chained together by a company, for their own members, but that would only reach an extra few kilometers of space. How many large asteroids will that hold? A handful? And once they are mined, they are gone, and we are back to square one! D'oh! :)

XenoCow

Master endo
Since you can't fly through a safe zone without the owner whitelisting you
Oh really? I thought they had black lists, not white lists... How will people set up trade stations if they have to specify every single one of their potential patrons?

I had thought of those stations (let's assume that they do let unknown players in them) will expand the edge of the safe zone. Most of the asteroids will not be inside them, but pirates cannot patrol larger and larger boarders. So, players have more opportunities to get back to safety.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Game needs PvE players to stay alive, so rest assured we'll start looking after you guys as well. While the main PvE feature (Capital ships) is not yet there we'll start by looking into safe zones keeping viable. The moon city area most likely will be expanded for moon bases which are under the city protection (for the upcoming bases and moon mining update), as well as we'll keep the origin SZ stocked.

Mutleyx

Veteran endo
... we'll start by looking into safe zones keeping viable. The moon city area most likely will be expanded for moon bases which are under the city protection (for the upcoming bases and moon mining update), as well as we'll keep the origin SZ stocked.
Good to hear, thanks Lauri. I think this will definitely help.

Foraven

Veteran endo
Noticed today I had to go rather far away into the belt before I seen any asteroid to mine. It won't be long before there won't be any asteroids left to mine into the safe zone. I don't have a fast ship to use yet, let alone one that can defend itself. I'm already struggling to earn money so I can get further down the tech tree and build more powerful ships.

XenoCow

Master endo
we'll keep safe zone stocked.
Please give some warning before this happens so that players who left ships out in the safe-zone belt can move their ships out of the way. It would be an unpleasant surprise to show up with an asteroid inside your ship and have your ship launched miles away as a result.

No worries, we'll keep safe zone stocked. However, outside it we won't replenish asteroids.
Tell me this isnt true? I realize the amount of roids right now is extemially high but does FB have enough data to estimate when this will start to create an issue years down the road? What's the harm in replenishing roids? We have seen this issue on other titles.

Tell me this isnt true? I realize the amount of roids right now is extemially high but does FB have enough data to estimate when this will start to create an issue years down the road? What's the harm in replenishing roids? We have seen this issue on other titles.
I made a forum account just to second this. Don't understand at all what the point would be of having players constantly have to go farther and farther just to find resources outside the SZ. It simply boils down to giving newer players a disadvantage to the people like us who are playing the game early. They'll have to go double...then triple...etc as far as we do to make the same level of progress. Seems silly. I'd understand if SZ roids gets replenished every...say...week while outside the SZ gets replenished every month or something like that, but just not replenishing roids outside the SZ doesn't make a lot of sense. If the Devs have really thought this through though, maybe a short explanation can change our minds?

I made a forum account just to second this. Don't understand at all what the point would be of having players constantly have to go farther and farther just to find resources outside the SZ. It simply boils down to giving newer players a disadvantage to the people like us who are playing the game early. They'll have to go double...then triple...etc as far as we do to make the same level of progress. Seems silly. I'd understand if SZ roids gets replenished every...say...week while outside the SZ gets replenished every month or something like that, but just not replenishing roids outside the SZ doesn't make a lot of sense. If the Devs have really thought this through though, maybe a short explanation can change our minds?
They have already said that if it becomes a problem for new players, they will respawn the asteroids, but it's just too soon to say if or when it will be necessary.

Venombrew

Master endo
they want people to risk the non safe zone, why rarer metals are out there and honestly as someone who spends much of his time in the non safe zones, there is tons upon tons of untouched resources.

like any other crafting/mmo/pvp, risk and reward. i tell u guys this, if i see any of you out there i will come give you a "hand" with bringing your goods in, cause that is how nice of a guy i am! ;)

Jakaal

Active endo
Did either of ya'll actually READ what Lauri said?! They talked about restocking SZ rocks ONLY, nothing outside it. The very thing you're saying is fine?

Did either of ya'll actually READ what Lauri said?! They talked about restocking SZ rocks ONLY, nothing outside it. The very thing you're saying is fine?
Buddy, we're not the ones that have to read better. We've clearly stated we're glad SZ restocks but upset that outside of the SZ does not restock. Paralen however stated that the devs are willing to stock outside the SZ if it becomes necessary. Which is great!

I was talking about new players which is mainly safe zone. I don't expect they are gonna restock outside of it, the goddamn thing is huge anyway, like > 10000 km diameter.
+EA's just started, it's still too soon so say how it's gonna look like and how big the player base is gonna be. Right now we have 4000+ concurrent players, I'm usually mining like 70-100 km away from Origin stations and so far I haven't met anyone.

Last edited:
They have already said that if it becomes a problem for new players, they will respawn the asteroids, but it's just too soon to say if or when it will be necessary.
Thata good to know. I dont know who said that aor when but I didnt hear this yet. As long as they keep their minds open for a roid refresh as making it more and more scarce over a long period of time doesnt make sense. Resources already have a sink but every sink needs a faucet.