The Need For Pvp in current state of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.D.

Veteran endo
I've been talking to people in a community discord I am a part of, and it seems over all that the pvp group is growing bored. Im even seeing pve people wanting to see pirates because the auction house ore prices are starting to drop. there is just too much ore. no one is stopping the miners. I know we have more mechanics to come to help balance things to help keep the economy flowing. But, alot of us would really like to have some content soon towards pvp. There are people who have spent hours outside the safe zone to find no one. Alot of us get pretty bored just taking mining routes back, and forth. Some have even suggested maybe having some kind of temporary instanced pvp zone where you wouldnt have to loose your stuff just to get that pvp fix. it would probably help with testing too. We ran into a few issues coming into early access simply because there was not enough pvp testing. One of which, we found out the tripod was too op. Here we are again. I understand the need to really clean up the new player experience, to be safe, and all that. But, the other side of the player base is getting really bored. devs, can you all add anything to help us understand what is to come, and about what time frame to keep the moral positive? Alot of us are really anxious for that radiation technology.

CalenLoki

Master endo
They just added fully functional trading station in the belt (PTU). That should create quite some traffic between starting safe zone and the new one.

Just join my cause and ask them to make the safe zone smaller than 50km....10-20km would be ok.
It's a station for more experienced players anyway.

J.D.

Veteran endo
They just added fully functional trading station in the belt (PTU). That should create quite some traffic between starting safe zone and the new one.

Just join my cause and ask them to make the safe zone smaller than 50km....10-20km would be ok.
It's a station for more experienced players anyway.
yea, this is a good idea, i could stand behind this. when does this hit game @CalenLoki

Venombrew

Master endo
if you guys looked at the latest patch that will be dropping off the PTU, then you will know that on the moon, there is no safe zone base building. you have to build 300m from the city SAFE ZONE, not the city itself and another 300m away from any player station. and the moon with all its base building and new ore and even moon terrain digging will be the new location for players and most importantly no safe zone borders for stations.

J.D.

Veteran endo
right, and all that stuff is cool, and im excited to see it come. i absolutely love the game, alot of us are just anxious for radiation detection mechanics. it will add a really fun edge to pvp because we will be able to find people quicker. it will also have an interesting impact on the economy. dramatically affecting it.

blazemonger

Veteran endo
The problem with any early access game and specifically when early access is this early in Alpha, is that players will very quickly forget that the game is really just a collection of core mechanics, that everything is in flux and that there is no actual gameplay yet. Especially when what is there works relatively well, this tends to happen.

Then there is the groups that pretty much only see the pewpew aspect of the game and their expectation is that everything they see or do must involve this and that they can just go around and murder people only because they have the ability to do this. They do not at all care for or consider the actual community aspect of the game, it's just a big shoot em up for them.

Starbase is not complete, that moon bases and capitals come in does not mean they are done or ready to go. with all the incomplete factors, if you go around blindly shooting people all you achieve is that players leave, meaning you lose your targets, and in case of for instance content creators, they will publicly expose the problems of stream sniping and if that gets too bad, likely drop the game from their roster and move on which makes FB lose exposure. All this would result in the game going stale before it truly gets going.

Early Access to this bare Alpha stage of development is needed for the devs on one hand but dangerous on the other. I for one expect that FB will impose more and stricter rules in the code of conduct and terms of service. I expect they will be making stream sniping and (repeated) attacks on moon bases for no reason but to pewpew an bannable offense. They will have to safeguard the accessibility of the game as those who are affected by these rules have no ability to self-impose these limitations and do not understand or see the consequences of what they do.

I understand there are groups in game who fully intend and plan to execute on attacking streamers by using stream sniping if they come to the moon. If they do, streamers will no longer come to the moon and the game will get a bad rep of griefing and toxicity, that may or may not be accurate or valid, but it will happen. Groups with these intentions will effectively damage the game and so they will be put on a leash by the devs. That will make some leave but that only shows their intent was never to help build and grow the game, just to get their easy fix and once that goes, they just move on, as their interest was never the game just their fix.

J.D.

Veteran endo
@blazemonger dude, ive been a part of this game for a year. i was in closed alpha. Im not just some rando looking to blow shit up. im passionate about the game too. i dont appreciate your insults in your subtle way of attempting to make me look like a mindless pew pew troll. There are other play styles than pve, this game is not just for those who are afraid to get shot at. you have a safe zone that will never go away, no matter what. you cannot be fooled, stolen from, absolutely anything that will even begin to ruin your gameplay without the devs hammering the shit out of the trolls and banning them without hesitation. I can tell my yearning for pvp pisses you off. Ive noticed out of any game i have ever played, the pve community in starbase is the most toxic ive ever seen from all their sarcastic little subtle insults trying to make pvp look like its not a viable play style, and also trying to make pvp players look stupid as if their opinion doesnt matter. Its a terrible attitude, and you all need to stop. The game has more than one play style dude. The pvp people are getting bored. Pvp makes up a huge part of this game too. get over yourself. We are just as important as you all are. The mechanic i am most interested in in the current state is radiation technology. This will make us pvp enthusiasts pretty happy. None of you are in danger if you dont leave the safe zone. You seem super jaded from a game in the past. Im not a streamer, nor do i watch streams, at all. i have no interest in them. I dont know why people do honestly, but I dont fit your stereotype. you pve people need to get rid of this stereotype because its not positive towards the community. Also, this topic of safe zone vs non safe zone rules has been a subject ive dived deep into to find out exactly what is ok. Lauri came in that thread and pretty much said that safe zone will be protected from any, and every type of trolling there is. you cant lose anything in safe zone. if you do, youll be refunded, and the troll will be punished. Outside the safe zone, Lauri said you are garaunteed to loose everything you bring out there. that was his exact words. they are allowing any kind of pvp. But he also said thats why they are implementing civilian capital ships for players who dont wish to engage in pvp, and will be able to keep what they have without worry of being sieged. people like yourself sound like you are trying to completely control the pvp aspect of the game. trying to turn it into an organized environment, which is not AT ALL what we want. what you are wanting is not going to happen, because you already have so many mechanics in play that keeps you safe. reasons as to why i like pvp is a little RP. ever heard of eve online? know why i joined? the stories on youtube. they were epic. factions seeking riches through conquest is why i like pvp. Did you not see all those trailer vids they made early on that showed all this huge factional warfare? showing the amazing damage mechanics, and how much fun itll be to duke it out? this game isnt a mining sim. nor is it only pvp. i support the economy side, and building, in fact, if the economy part was not in game, i would be upset. it adds alot of content, and depth even to combat. i love it. you guys have your gameplay style that is unbreakably protected by safe zones. So, stop trying to take our gameplay away, you wont succeed. many others feel the same. You all are the ones who are negatively impacting the game. not us. You assume we all are just trying to wreck the game, and you couldnt be more wrong. Im sure i speak for a huge number of people out there to say, we dont appreciate this. let it go. its a terrible attitude. You, and the playerbase like you. I have never seen a pvp guy in this community talk ill of the pve group. only when they start disrespecting us, do we grow angry. Most of us support your gameplay style.

Last edited:
@J.D. Man... please format your text. Its a pain to read.
Other than that... yep i agree.
You are kinda pushing him into a group, the same thing he did any you didnt like but eh...

Streamers and streamsniping will be a problem in the future, like in every game, but as you mentioned, just dont go outside of the safezone then.
Or better: Have some body guards that kill streamsnipers. Its not like they can easily respawn and attack them again.
Thats a organic solution for that problem. The community may even exactly make a company for exactly that purpose.
Again, i see that you both like the game and want it to blow up more, just from two completly different standpoints.
My opinion is this: Just let it be organic. The safezones garentee absolute safety for those who want it, and the outside gives absolute controll to the players.
Just let us playerbase come up with solutions to problems like pirates. And then let the players, the pirates, find a solution to destroy our solution.
In my humble oppinion, this game will only blow up by players creating content for more players while the devs will guide the game into the directions they want it to go.
This isnt a rpg and i dont ever want it to become anything similar to one.

I agree with you JD, I think Capital ships will help and hopefully the contents of next patch. I'm loving this game but I am starting to eagerly await capitals so we can have more freedom.

blazemonger

Veteran endo
@blazemonger dude, ive been a part of this game for a year. i was in closed alpha. Im not just some rando looking to blow shit up. im passionate about the game too. i dont appreciate your insults in your subtle way of attempting to make me look like a mindless pew pew troll.
I stopped reading after this because..
  • Your lack of formatting makes your response unreadable.
  • What I wrote appears to not apply to you based on this first sentence, I'm not sure how it insults you.
Maybe you should be a bit more open minded and actually read what I wrote, not just interpret it and take it as directed at you because it uses some words that apply to you.

J.D.

Veteran endo
I stopped reading after this because..
  • Your lack of formatting makes your response unreadable.
  • What I wrote appears to not apply to you based on this first sentence, I'm not sure how it insults you.
Maybe you should be a bit more open minded and actually read what I wrote, not just interpret it and take it as directed at you because it uses some words that apply to you.
dude, formatted or not, anyone can read that. Now you are just trying to one up me with your condescending attitude by attacking my grammar rather than the issue at hand. As you said, you didn’t read my post. So, if that’s true, your response has nothing to do with what I said, and more to do with defending your ego. Lol. And yes, your comment was directed towards me because of the context I made starting this thread. You placed me into a a group that is mindless, and careless, and wants to murder everything, because they can. That was your words. It was subtle, and I’m not stupid.You demonstrated a strong opposition to pvp. Your second, and last paragraph said it all. Yes, I did read what you said. I’m also not the first person to have noticed that you think you can, or at least attempt to try to dictate what others enjoy. This isn’t all about you. You do what you like to do, and I’ll do what I like to do. The game was made for both styles. You want to see pvp heavily controlled, now, and years down the road. I can read between the lines. You also said I need to be open minded. Yet, you are demonstrating the closed mindedness in this conversation. I have no problem with all the mechanics in game. The way it sounds, is that the end result will be quite entertaining. You don’t see it that way though.

Last edited:

blazemonger

Veteran endo
@J.D.

Actually no, I did not. Just because you started a thread does not mean anything written in it as a response reflects on _you_. It reflects on the topic, which can get diluted over time as you generally do not go all the way back to OP when posting a response if you "join late".

I did not ever say anything about you, not at any time in my post UNLESS you fit the profile I described which I still do not think you do. And again, just because it is in "your thread" deo snot mean it applies to you.

Where did I show a strong opposition to PVP? I never did, not once. PVP is not just pewpew, it can be any number of interactions between players and can included undercutting others on the markets as well, just to name an example.

Yes, I do not see combat as a primary reason to play a game, any game really and would not have any interest in games which are entirely centered around it. I also think that basically showing anyone your perceive not in the same mindset as yourself being a care bear or a "PVE-er” and labelling them toxic just because you do not agree, exposes the exact behaviour and attitude you are accusing me of actually. I really think you do not even really understand the concept of being toxic as the one displaying its traits is actually yourself.

Starbase has a large component around combat, you leave the safe zones, you open yourself up to that. And I have no problem with that at all but I would not completely turn my preferred way of playing around to either accommodate or counter it. The often heard argument to "just bring guns" just means your lack the ability to think outside your own box and I expect a game like Starbase to eventually present options for non-aggressors to mitigate possible attack to a point where it becomes an acceptable risk for the potential reward the activity you are in . If that fails and I get shot... that's part of the deal and I move on, ship already replaced and not flying what I can't afford to lose.

Playing Starbase does not _require_ you to engage in combat PVP, it does expect you to accept the possibility of encountering it when outside safe zones. And both of these I would expect and apply to me and the way I play. I also understand that it will be years for the game to be complete so much of this is yet to come. And if SB turns out to be the shoot em up pewpew fest some would prefer then it was fun while it lasted but I'd just move on... No problem there, I already got my money's worth out of the game at this time. And just to be sure, I am not saying that this train of thought applies to you as I have no clue who you are or what you actually look for in the game. It would be nice to see a similar attitude though, not the defensive closed minded "stay of my lawn" one you are currently displaying as the latter will really just prevent any actual dialog.

Now, my initial post was geared towards those who would engage in attacking others, not because the game brings that opportunity to you and you play out that situation, but just because you have a gun and you can with the only intent to continuously disrupt and deny someone else's gameplay (which would actually be the very definition of griefing and prohibited by TOS). "Being a pirate" and hunting for haulers/miners/whatever outside safe zones or roaming the moon surface as a bandit, that is absolutely valid gameplay. I am still uncertain why someone who seems to look for proper gameplay in PVP is so upset about something which in that case does not actually apply to them at all, as my initial post is not about that at all and it seems you are so caught up in your misconception of that, you are unable to break out of it and see it does not apply to you.

blazemonger

Veteran endo
I've been talking to people in a community discord I am a part of, and it seems over all that the pvp group is growing bored.

Im even seeing pve people wanting to see pirates because the auction house ore prices are starting to drop. there is just too much ore. no one is stopping the miners.

I know we have more mechanics to come to help balance things to help keep the economy flowing. But, alot of us would really like to have some content soon towards pvp.
So I thought let's actually check your OP.. And this part is what I found interesting.

SB is an MMO, as such it is not about "there is nothing to do" or "give us content", it is about "I want to do X and to get there, I will do Y"

So you want to combat PVP, what is your definition of that? Attacking miners (who are not very likely to actually put up a fight) or finding ways to get engaging fights and have fun with it?

I have seen plenty of great content in the past weeks, groups outside the safe zone looking for others, getting shot, scrambling to get their ships running again, while just getting their ship limping back to Origin encountering another pirate who holds them at ransom, pleading for help to be able to get back before paying ransom .. You know.. fun.. banter.. obvious enjoyment. and most of all, applying a core purpose of any MMO... _interaction and communication_.

I'd say it's not about what Frozenbyte can do for you, it is about what you can do to have fun. Maybe you are in the wrong group where people have no imagination, maybe you should join a group where people are actively designing ships to fight and test them "live", where others are going out to get the ores needed to build those ships and then together go out deeper into the belt or the moon to get more valuable ores.

From all I have seen, there is plenty of fun to be had in the game already. Sitting on your hands, waiting for it to be handed to you though is IMO not going to work, not now and not ever.. If that is what you want, then a MMO style game may not be for you, and you may be more comfortable in an FPS type game.

The interesting part here is that this does actually link into my earlier post very nicely. If the people who will eventually create the content you look for get chased away and out of the game by types who only have the objective to disrupt that content, destroy it and KOS where possible without reason in game but he fact they have a gun and can (and no, not saying you are, talking in general), you will be left with .. nothing. Once the content comes, play the game and the situation, interact, make the fight about something... Just try it.. you may just like it.

Also, the game is in early Alpha, expecting "content" at this point is at best pre-empting something like.. actual development of the game to the point it can support such content.

Last edited:
So I thought let's actually check your OP.. And this part is what I found interesting.

SB is an MMO, as such it is not about "there is nothing to do" or "give us content", it is about "I want to do X and to get there, I will do Y"

So you want to combat PVP, what is your definition of that? Attacking miners (who are not very likely to actually put up a fight) or finding ways to get engaging fights and have fun with it?

I have seen plenty of great content in the past weeks, groups outside the safe zone looking for others, getting shot, scrambling to get their ships running again, while just getting their ship limping back to Origin encountering another pirate who holds them at ransom, pleading for help to be able to get back before paying ransom .. You know.. fun.. banter.. obvious enjoyment. and most of all, applying a core purpose of any MMO... _interaction and communication_.

I'd say it's not about what Frozenbyte can do for you, it is about what you can do to have fun. Maybe you are in the wrong group where people have no imagination, maybe you should join a group where people are actively designing ships to fight and test them "live", where others are going out to get the ores needed to build those ships and then together go out deeper into the belt or the moon to get more valuable ores.

From all I have seen, there is plenty of fun to be had in the game already. Sitting on your hands, waiting for it to be handed to you though is IMO not going to work, not now and not ever.. If that is what you want, then a MMO style game may not be for you, and you may be more comfortable in an FPS type game.

The interesting part here is that this does actually link into my earlier post very nicely. If the people who will eventually create the content you look for get chased away and out of the game by types who only have the objective to disrupt that content, destroy it and KOS where possible without reason in game but he fact they have a gun and can (and no, not saying you are, talking in general), you will be left with .. nothing. Once the content comes, play the game and the situation, interact, make the fight about something... Just try it.. you may just like it.

Also, the game is in early Alpha, expecting "content" at this point is at best pre-empting something like.. actual development of the game to the point it can support such content.
Can you please format your posts better, they are unreadable. :)

Venombrew

Master endo
u guys do know this game wont even be a full month of open alpha til the 27th of august, and even then it be a year and half or longer before starbase 1.0 comes out. and in these 3 weeks they have delivered a PTU with 5 of its own updates and prep for live patches, we have had well over a dozen patches and hot fixes on live version to fix issues and add updates, which most don't even know that they are constantly adding custom ships back into the game. they have kept us greatly in the loop with information and the 2 dev factions are doing very well with their own activities. pirate companies and alliances between them are greatly on the rise, if your a member of the empire you would see the messages. and those guys are all pvp, and pirates aren't complaining honestly.

This was just three weeks and they have delivered heavily on their end, wait to see what they will have added in 3 months.

blazemonger

Veteran endo
u guys do know this game wont even be a full month of open alpha til the 27th of august, and even then it be a year and half or longer before starbase 1.0 comes out.
I know, I agree and that is in part my point. I also think that he game will take way longer to get to v1.0 .. I expect just Alpha to take maybe two years with a somewhat shorter beta.

I do feel in general that the ask for "content", besides it being a sign of not understanding th econtext of a MMO like StarBase, is at best premature. CLosed alpha in this game looks o hav ebeen just the very basic setup of the core tech and needed systems, now comes the time where on top of that mechanics and enablers for features get built and that alone wil ltake a year.

If FB would fall for the trap of catering to the masses and building features without the core foundation they need, the game will only stall and take way longer to go anywhere. I think they are off to a great start and hope they keep the pace and stick to what they know they need to get to the end goal an dnot listen to the cries for "content" too much.. Doing early access at this point has that inherent risk, but they have the opportunity to prevent that from happening.

J.D.

Veteran endo
ok, Ill try to make myself a little clearer as to what my post was really about, and what i was trying to say. I think what i should have done, is named this thread around radiation technology specifically. Because, that is a mechanic that is coming to game. It enables someone to use a mechanic to pick up radiation signatures from generators. It's a radar. What brought up the reason i wanted to make mention of this is because, myself, and some other people in the discord im a part of were growing bored because we havent seen anyone in non safe zone. Venom mentioned that there are larger groups who were finding these activities, I didnt know this. I'm not part of those groups.
The devs are doing great at the game, I'll most definitely agree with that. I believe this is the worlds best developer team in any game I have ever heard of. Some of us were under the impression by the content we have seen that the developer team was trying to ignore additional pvp content for this or that reason, and not because it would derail their progress. But, i really dont know that. i have no idea what they are working on, and their plans. im sure its extremely productive though, as they have already shown us.
@blazemonger My idea of pvp, is ship combat. Thats just what comes to mind when i think of pvp. I agree with you that there are other ways. you mentioned undercutting another player on the market. I think we all do that. I do that everytime Ive sold on the auction house. I like the idea of growing a certain amount of wealth through pvp by salvaging the wrecks by successful engagements. Whether they are miners, or fighters, gunships, whatever, outside the safe zone, it makes no difference to me, it only changes my approach to the target, or if i feel i can even take them on at all. I think of it as a conquest. There are other things that come to mind with pvp, and reasons as to why i want to, but i wont mention them because i know how they will be interpreted.
The fact of the matter is that pvp outside the safe zone is completely free to indulge in, there is nothing you can do outside the safe zone with pvp that is considered against the rules, or "griefing." I made damn sure i understood this straight from the devs because if they made rules outside the safe zone in those regards, it would cause alot of drama. Because, one could reason that pvp in this game, IS griefing. Company A seiges company B. why? there could be many reasons. But, in most cases, the desired result would be to take their base from them, their resources, destroy their military force, completely cripple them. One could argue that is griefing. which is why i passionately hate that word. its manipulative. The reason why i attack you does not matter outside the safe zone, and i dont have to give a reason why. I have a thread i made a while back asking for clarity in this subject because i was concerned with what "griefing" meant to the devs. Lauri, frozenbyte ceo, then made a comment on that thread. To put it into a nutshell, griefing only appies to safe zone. Any kind of pvp is allowed outside. The rules towards this were only to protect new players in the safe zone. What this means is, if i know where you are, and i want to attack you countless times in a very small amount of time, i can do it. the reason does not matter. Because these rules only apply to safe zone. This is actually specifically why i asked for clarity in that thread. For that exact reason. Something you said above about attacking someone alot is against Tos. No, this is wrong. only in the safe zone. I get very concerned, and defensive in this subject, in this game, because ever since day one of my entrance to starbase on their community discord, i have seen alot of sarcastic aggression from the group of people within that discord towards my play style, directed towards me.
I understand there are multiple types of gameplay options. I enjoy this. People who are passionate about industry, and economy will add so much depth to the game. I dont play pvp games that dont have some sort of survival aspect to them, and/ or something that adds content to give it depth. Games like, call of duty, and CS GO are very boring to me. This game supports both pvp, and the pve industrialists, or whatever that group calls themselves..... Also, blaze, this group you sound like you are describing by guns blazing, and nothing else.. this group of people cannot exist without a source of income, and resources. So, if blowing up ships is all they do, theyll disappear quickly.

Please,@J.D. and (@blazemonger) both of you, format your text a bit better.
Have some shorter lines. Its horrible to read all that text compacted, my brain melts.

Btw, this is how i see what this argument between you two is about so far.

Blaze, if i got this right your whole post basicly goes about
"
I for one expect that FB will impose more and stricter rules in the code of conduct and terms of service. I expect they will be making stream sniping and (repeated) attacks on moon bases for no reason but to pewpew an bannable offense. They will have to safeguard the accessibility of the game as those who are affected by these rules have no ability to self-impose these limitations and do not understand or see the consequences of what they do.

I understand there are groups in game who fully intend and plan to execute on attacking streamers by using stream sniping if they come to the moon. If they do, streamers will no longer come to the moon and the game will get a bad rep of griefing and toxicity, that may or may not be accurate or valid, but it will happen.
"
So you are for limiting PVP outside of safezones, right? (and also as seen above those expectations are false)

And J.D you are hoping for better ways to find other players (radiation) outside of safezones so you can do more organic PVP.
While saying that you dislike the anti pvp community becourse they were toxic to you and "Then there is the groups that pretty much only see the pewpew aspect of the game" sounds really really condesending and arogant so you placed blaze into the same group.

"If FB would fall for the trap of catering to the masses " I dont get this one... Isnt SB a game where you can decide what you do, as such most people would find something fun as such they are catering to the masses?
"Sitting on your hands, waiting for it to be handed to you though is IMO not going to work, " yes, but im pretty sure J.D didnt mean that...

Im pretty sure (and please correct me here) you cant really scrap ships you destroy. At least not like in the tutorial. Pvp basicly doesnt have a purpose right now exept for fun. And that is quite boring, as you cant find that many people outside the safezones for pvp. As such the people that mostly enjoy pvp are quite bored.

TLDR: The only thing he wanted was to know of a timeframe to know when, whats to come, so the moral doesnt sink into the negatives. With your words, your post had nothing to do with the theme of this thread blaze. I have no idea why this became such a clusterfuck of a thread...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.