30 Person Developer Battle

EllaFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
Here is a new Starbase video showcasing highlights of the recent 30 person developer test battle. In the video you can see an action-filled spaceship battle, detailed destruction, plenty of teamwork, and what was left on the battlefield after the fight.

Check out the video if you want to find out what happened in this major clash between Empire and Kingdom!

Vexus

Master endo
1:44 gun turret disappears completely when destroyed (no salvage, interesting to note this mechanic, maybe it just took too much damage)

3:00 taking your buddies into combat on your fighter seems fun

3:28 when your flight controls fly away on their own :LOL:

Really cool video. I love the end with the actual ships still there after the battle ends. A passerby would know a battle happened here. It wasn't some one-off arena battle. The debris here, the dead ships, will last until someone comes and salvages the wrecks. Amazing to see.

Atreties

Veteran endo
Any chance we could get all of the uncut, unedited perspectives of this battle added to the unlisted playlist?

CalenLoki

Master endo
Conclusion: shipd design is quite suboptimal, to put it gently... :p

Most of the footage of gunships is with turrets disabled and crew desperately trying to shoot at passing by fighters with hand weapons. Maybe it's time to exchange several paper-mache turrets for single armoured one? Or in case of lancer, redundant control system (turrets seem intact after combat)

Combat happens mostly at very short range. So at some point pilots have to slow down or stop to turn towards their targets. Then they get shoot or boarded by someone else.
Fighter with downward facing main thrusters would be much more effective. Maintaining high speed, changing movement direction while keeping guns on target at all times.

And all the obvious problems, like narrow field of view, unarmoured fuel tanks, ect.

Last edited:

EllaFB

Community Manager
Frozenbyte
Any chance we could get all of the uncut, unedited perspectives of this battle added to the unlisted playlist?
I can forward on the request about this on. But unfortunately I don't think that this will be possible with this battle as we probably need to record the material with better preparation so we to avoid random idle spots in the material where someone run to get more coffee or something. :p

I don't really understand the usefulness of these videos at the moment, thanks to the comments you're looking to improve your ig ships to create a superfight?

Je ne comprends pas vraiment l'utilité de ces vidéos pour le moment, grâce aux commentaires que vous cherchez à améliorer pour permettre à vos navires ig de créer un superfight?

Are you still in the process of developing and some elements of the game are not yet irreversible?
I'd like to write a suggestion, but I'm not sure it's the right place to do it.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Conclusion: shipd design is quite suboptimal, to put it gently... :p
Our goal with development is to leave all the best designs for players, and I think we have made pretty good job with that ;)

The gunship had internal, protected, and separate aiming chairs, but we changed the tech with the turret chairs and had to revert to unsafe direct control chairs for those tests (that's why the gunship has those holes in it's roof, the chairs were there originally, under a glass dome). We'll move back to original design at some point. But even with those improvements the ship is very far from optimal.

Guedez

Learned-to-sprint endo
Seeing one battle is seeing them all. What's interesting now is the logistics behind the scene that made it possible.

Burnside

Master endo
I'm noticing you guys seem to have trouble engaging in firefight beyond sub-100m distances, is this intentional or do you find engagements around 200-600m difficult?

MixCTATNCT

Active endo
Very much missing, a 3D hologram that is transparent would be fun in front of your nose, indicating the position of objects around. At least, without identification marks, your someone else's.

https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/starbase-new-features-trailer-2020.700/ a 1m08s
In your last video, we perceive a mass of ships, you didn't use players to do that, it's purely fictional, and it doesn't represent what the game can do at the moment, right?

Will we get BoltCracker back soon? I mean, in less than a month?

And do you plan on seeing it that far? In Star Citizen they have created clouds of matter, would you think they've created something that hides the vision of very close up to

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/aait6n
Do you have any current solutions?

Other, the short scene is 1m38s long or the character goes back on itself, I guess a lot of people who buy games like Dual Universe or Star Citizen, or Star Base, it's for that kind of zero-gravity pvp or just being able to walk on walls, will offer so many possibilities but while we'll be doing maneuvers like this, if ships rush in our direction and break a wall next to ours, is there a risk of lag?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

MixCTATNCT

Active endo
Clouds and debris are a good idea for variation in battle tactics. Provided that this does not reduce the fps to slides of 1-4 frames per minute. I hope I understood the question correctly and answered it correctly...

cranky corvid

Well-known endo
https://forum.starbasegame.com/threads/starbase-new-features-trailer-2020.700/ a 1m08s
In your last video, we perceive a mass of ships, you didn't use players to do that, it's purely fictional, and it doesn't represent what the game can do at the moment, right?
There's a "making of" video for that trailer in the works that is supposed to explain exactly how they did that scene. The scene isn't all players, but they'll work intensively on scaling up the possible player count as they invite more people in during the upcoming closed alpha.