Economy the current state and how to do it better

TGess

Well-known endo
I would like to provide comprehensive overviews of Starbase economy in its current state, what can be done better, address the inflation we are facing, ship prices in general, NPC markets and Auction House. I would like to point out that I have a master in economics and these are not just ideas pulled out of thin air. If you don't have time to read this skip it to the Static ore prices.

Inflation of prices, money and its problems.

Currently we are facing tremendous inflation in Starbase that is now about 560% compared to day 1 of SB. In comparison inflation in Venezuela was about 500% which is one of the worst managed economies on this planet. This in itself tells a lot about how SB economy is being handled.

A bit of theoretical background. Why is inflation bad. Inflation in itself isn't bad when it's managed. 1-2% yearly inflation is actually ideal in the real word economy. One would say that game has nothing to do with real life economy but he could not be more wrong. All economy models are simplified and they actually are “games” or simulations with just the key aspects being calculated on the very basic level. That is exactly what the game is, a simplified real world where time flies faster as we don't have our whole lives to live inside said game. This part is important and we will work with it when talking about ship prices.

Main reasons why too high of inflation is bad for the game:

UX and GoL are the main reasons. It is very hard to count in millions or even billions, the amount of numbers is overwhelming, everything feels highly overpriced and from real life we are used to counting stuff in ten of thousands at max. Euro or Dollars are the two main currencies which people use and they are used for stuff costing 10, 100, 1k, 10k dollars but noone is ready to count in billions.

Other reasons:

Money is losing value fast. I was able to buy 321 vasamas, now I can buy just 57 vasamas and I did not spend a single credit. All the balance gets broken every time when FB devs change stuff by 200% in one patch. This makes starter jobs earning unbalanceable. It takes up to 10 hours of doing starter jobs now to get a hauler. It took one hour 3 months ago. Simply because someone can't create solid design for pricing of ores. Which is the key that affects the whole economy. And it's not getting better! It's getting worse every week.

Best message to date about this is quote from one CA player:
<C:\LemonGrab>06.11.202>
Also, I just checked ship prices for myself. +500k for a Vasama. 4m for a Hauler. I said it before and I'll say it again, the devs are breakdancing on their keyboard and calling it balancing.

People say I am too negative, that I don't appreciate being in the CA. Well to those people I say no. If you overlook these problems now, where they can be forgiven, they will make it to the EA and ruin the game reputation forever. But not only I give criticism I also provide solutions! For free just because I care about the game.

Solving this issue

Solving inflation is actually quite easy, it's more than doable in CA and you don't need any other game features for it to work. Not only that, you can build other game features on top of it. I do like FB a lot and they are great devs but saying that they can't balance it now cause they are waiting for other features is pure BS. Anyone who understands the topic can do it and after the last 7 months in CA I am more than certain that they really have no clue what is going on or at least someone who is in charge of that economy. Also the economy can not wait, it is the core feature of any MMO. It can as well be a single player game without a working economy. And you can't balance the economy in a week even if you did not sleep a single night.

First comes design. How much should a ship cost, how do we value the money, is 1000 credits a lot of money? 1000 euro is not a lot but it is not a little. Let's say we go for user friendliness, if I have to count zeros when trading with someone or listing items for sale we already failed the task. That means the most common transactions can not be done in millions. Currently in SB I go through 50 million credits, I sure don't go through 50 million credits IRL, I would have to buy like 5 supersport cars and I would still have money left.

So one criterion is to not count zeros. We could make a stack of ore for 100 credits but that would leave us no room for cheap items. So we need room for balancing as well. And for items that are made out of those stacks. So we want to go smaller than 100000 cause you can see for ourselves how hard it is to read it and know if it's 100.000 or 1.000.000. But we want to go higher than 100.

Ideal base price for stack of ore would be 10 000 credits. For every ore NPC market buys from you. There are two ways where to go from here. One is static and the other one is dynamic. Static ore prices are much simpler to execute but they would mean no more NPC items selling ship parts. Not a big deal for most but I want to present both variants to allow better discussion. Every rock or ice material would be 2k per stack.

Static ore prices.

When you get Ore you can either keep it, sell it to the NPC market for 10k credits per stack or list it on the AH if you can sell it for more there. So junk ores that everybody has in a given cluster are sold to the station instantly, it does not matter in which cluster you live, devs don't have to balance anything, ores you need you keep and the ones that are being sold for a lot of credits you list on the AH.

People would have to manufacture all the ship parts and list them on the AH, they could be shown on the same displays we have them now but they would all be player made and the one that noone made would still be listed as out of stock. Reason for that is you can't create the correct corresponding price in the NPC market if all the ore prices are 10k.

Prices of tools, ammo and weapons would all be static and it would be really easy to balance, there would never be any inflation cause you always gain money at the same pace over the whole universe.

It's non exploitable compared to a dynamic economy and it is a true player run economy as players mine all the ore, refine all the ore and manufacture all the parts and exchange all the listed items on the AH. Someone has a factory for thrusters so he lists thrusters but buys charodium, someone makes hardpoints so he needs different parts.

There will be more parts than there will be ships of course which would make the AH crash if demand is under supply. Its computer game and economy is simplified so NPC market has to buy both ingots and completed items as well. Price at which you sell every smelted or refined ingot would be 10k times the amount of stacks you need for a given ingon cause purity value exists + refined material bonus. That translates in to Ip = 10 000 * X + Br. (Ip = ingot price, X = amount of stacks, Br = Bonus for refining )

Refined material bonus is yet to be designed how much it would be but that is the ideal way to do this. You already know what the price will be, you just have to determine how much it will be when we get refining but the price is already designed and you know what you are doing. You can compare how long it takes to refine a stack of ore and adjust the bonus on that. It can be 1k, 5k, 10k of credits. Who knows how long it will take but you already know this value exists and you can work with it as Y. If refining each material takes different time than Br = q*Tr. (q = base refining bonus, Tr = relative time to refine said ore)

Price of manufactured items would be using the price of ingots that we defined plus manufacturing bonus. Ip * Y + Bm. (Ip = ingot price, Y amount of ingots needed, Bm = bonus for manufacturing. Again we don't know how long will manufacturing of each part take and if different parts have different manufacturing times. In that case Bm = k*Tm. (k = base manufacturing bonus, Tm = relative time to manufacture said part)

This system would make all the parts in the whole universe no matter what cluster or location or amount of players cost exactly the same when selling to the NPC market so you would not give credit boosts when living in a better area than someone else, let's say in Xhalium field. So exploiting npc markets would not be possible but! You can still have manufacturing advantage in making some of the parts and selling them to other stations. With the current system you can just live in an arkanium cluster, get shit ton of credits from the NPC market and ruin the life of everyone else living anywhere else.

This would also lock the inflation in place cause the prices you get from stations would be relatively low when it comes to getting credits. You can't just live in a corazium cluster, get credits 6x faster than anyone else and start inflating the economy. Single mechanics can't stop inflation completely, not the player made one but for those there are different mechanics. This would stop the dev made inflation and would give us a great start to work with all the incoming loops described above.

Current ship prices

Mechanics described above would not fix the stupid ship prices we have now. But it could be used for such things. We now have ship price which is 93% ores and 7% refining, manufacturing and assembly cost fee. My ship now is 500 stacks so I need 465 stacks of ore and sell 35 of them to pay the fee. The final cost in time we have now can stay if these numbers change like this = 35% materials, 20% smelting, 35% manufacturing, 10% assembly. We already know how much each of that fee is as we defined it above. But if we give all the jobs the same value per minute we would get a price of 175 stacks and fees that would require 100 + 175 + 50 stacks to be sold to the npc market to be paid in credits. This already balances the game cause I know how much I really have to pay for the ship (175 stack) plus I know that by creating furnaces, factories and other automation methods I can save 65% of the price! Right now with all that I could save 7% which is what pisses people off.

The ship prices paragraph is very simplified but these goals could be defined before to further balance the bonus you get from refining and manufacturing and the same bonus + 25% you have to pay in credits to the SSC if you want it to do this manufacturing and refining for you.

Last few words

Current state of the economy is, let's say, questionable. I often hear "Dude its CA" or "Don't be so hard on them" but you can't balance the economy one week before release, not even a month before. There are many issues that are unnecessary and that are purely design choices that do not respect that people still play the game during CA.

Thank you for your time TGess

First of all I just want to say that you are right in the fact that the current economy is bad, and ship prices aren't adjusted for the money you gain from starter jobs, and I have nothing to add to those points. The amount of credits that go into the SSC for manufacturing a ship will of course have to be adjusted as well, once we have refining/manufacturing. I also can't say anything about how large numbers should be, as I personally don't mind them.

But there are some points I disagree with. In my opinion the inflation from the start of CA is not representative of how it will evolve in the future, as we have had several large changes to the economy, and inflation should be measured separately for each revamp.
And for the static ore prices, they would only affect the NPC economy which, if I recall correctly, will only be on the starter stations. On other stations, the owner will decide the price of ores. So if the station was located in a cluster of corazium, its price would be much lower than on other stations that are further away. This feature (if it will be implemented how I imagine it) would most likely solve the problem of people living in clusters of valuable ore and selling it for way too much to the NPC economy.
On the other hand the static ore prices on the starter stations would still have to be balanced so that they are a last resort to sell and that the auction house is always a better place to sell, to avoid generating an infinite amount of money without a proper money sink.

Well, I've only studied basic economics, but an issue a lot of games have is that they basically just keep printing money. For example, think of a generic MMO you go out of town to kill a few wolves to get some gold. That's now money added into the system, and when you have 1000s of players doing that often gold becomes more and more common leading to inflation. One solution MMOs have is to make important items that all players need that can only be brought from NPCs, priced in such a way that it makes sure that a lot of the money going in gets drained out. And while this can work it's often just a temporary solution if you're too aggressive with it players get upset that most of their earning have to go towards buying those particular items, so even when done well will only slow down the inflation.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
We are missing a few critical elements before we can evaluate how economy will work. In no particular order some examples:
  • Finalized features, such as:
    • Parts also bought with ore & assembly fee
    • Alternatively, parts and ships only being possible to assemble by players
    • Ship shop ships sold from stock only with player-set fees
    • Final ore distribution on belt & moons
    • Large asteroid & moon mining support
    • Stations & factories (which speed up mining process quite a lot)
    • Trading
    • Salvage
    • Piracy
    • Wars
  • Rebooted universe
  • Enough players
Ecnomy will be balanced around player experience, ie. how long it takes to mine a ship with intended mechanics. (Goal is always not very long). Only small ships are intended to be mined with pickaxe or mining laser. Any larger ship is intended to be acquired by using player stations and factories built on them. Since neither exists yet, it's just impossible to guesswork how long it actually takes to acquire ore for those.

Once stations and factories come into play we'll start increasing the player amounts, which will also sort out the economy.

If economy doesn't improve with more final features and higher player amounts then we'll most likely first look into ore production and adjust it via tweaks done there.

XenoCow

Master endo
Alternatively, parts and ships only being possible to assemble by players
I like this idea. I could see companies becoming to-order shipwrights to help those who don't have the patience to build their own ships. Also, I see in-world ship building becoming easier as some of the SSC tools are moved out into the game world like auto-bolt recently and the blueprint filling that was released some time ago now.

I'll need to do some testing to see how the pace is as of now. (I need to go collect some ores and stop being poor first).

five

Master endo
I like this idea. I could see companies becoming to-order shipwrights to help those who don't have the patience to build their own ships. Also, I see in-world ship building becoming easier as some of the SSC tools are moved out into the game world like auto-bolt recently and the blueprint filling that was released some time ago now.

I'll need to do some testing to see how the pace is as of now. (I need to go collect some ores and stop being poor first).
Yo dude how about a automated factory pumping out fighters

CalenLoki

Master endo
Currently in SB I go through 50 million credits, I sure don't go through 50 million credits IRL, I would have to buy like 5 supersport cars and I would still have money left.
1605108511737.png

Comparing your top tier fighter to something more relatable IRL seems more suitable than sport cars.
As somebody said in the alpha thread, just switch zeros to K, M, G, T.
Ideal base price for stack of ore would be 10 000 credits. For every ore NPC market buys from you. There are two ways where to go from here. One is static and the other one is dynamic. Static ore prices are much simpler to execute but they would mean no more NPC items selling ship parts. Not a big deal for most but I want to present both variants to allow better discussion. Every rock or ice material would be 2k per stack.
1. NPC vendors are, and should IMO remain, exclusive to starting (dev owned) stations. So it won't balance economy in the whole universe, just in the starting zone(s).
Amongst other things, to prevent people from earning credits without flying away from they safe station in corazium region. Or to prevent deleting materials in order to prevent enemies from capturing it in face of unavoidable defeat.

2. Even with resource zones, some materials are in general more common than others. Levelling the "floor" of all of them to the same number will make some of them almost always being thrown into NPC material thrasher, and some never. IMO it's better if all of them have the same chance to be part of P2P trade. So IMO the floor should be proportional to averaged abundance of each material in the universe. So i.e. if bastium is 20 times easier to find than xhalium, it should be bough/sold by NPC for 20 times less.

the one that noone made would still be listed as out of stock
3. Setting low floor is not everything. Starting stations have to guarantee new players possibility to buy the ship they need to progress any further. So you also need ceiling, so an NPC vendor who sells unlimited amount of resources for a price way higher than AH.
And again, to ensure that AH is primary way of getting materials, the top price needs to be different for each material.
For player made stations availability and price of components will be fully player set, so no need to balance prices.

I agree that AH for components is a must. Preferably integrated with the marketplace (so you still need to find the proper shop, but the price listed there is the lowest available amongst player offers)

To sum up what we actually need:
1. Buy order for AH
2. "floor" and "ceiling" prices for all the ores based directly on abundance in the universe. Maybe 10-20x difference between them to make space for AH (i.e. NPC buys for 10, sells for 100)
3. NPC market bot that buys infinite amount of all the resources (but very cheap), and sells infinite amount (but very expensive).
4. AH for components and tools

TGess

Well-known endo
Yes but warfighters are not tools of everyday use whereas in SB they are so they should be priced that way

Verbatos

Veteran endo
View attachment 1759
Comparing your top tier fighter to something more relatable IRL seems more suitable than sport cars.
As somebody said in the alpha thread, just switch zeros to K, M, G, T.

1. NPC vendors are, and should IMO remain, exclusive to starting (dev owned) stations. So it won't balance economy in the whole universe, just in the starting zone(s).
Amongst other things, to prevent people from earning credits without flying away from they safe station in corazium region. Or to prevent deleting materials in order to prevent enemies from capturing it in face of unavoidable defeat.

2. Even with resource zones, some materials are in general more common than others. Levelling the "floor" of all of them to the same number will make some of them almost always being thrown into NPC material thrasher, and some never. IMO it's better if all of them have the same chance to be part of P2P trade. So IMO the floor should be proportional to averaged abundance of each material in the universe. So i.e. if bastium is 20 times easier to find than xhalium, it should be bough/sold by NPC for 20 times less.

3. Setting low floor is not everything. Starting stations have to guarantee new players possibility to buy the ship they need to progress any further. So you also need ceiling, so an NPC vendor who sells unlimited amount of resources for a price way higher than AH.
And again, to ensure that AH is primary way of getting materials, the top price needs to be different for each material.
For player made stations availability and price of components will be fully player set, so no need to balance prices.

I agree that AH for components is a must. Preferably integrated with the marketplace (so you still need to find the proper shop, but the price listed there is the lowest available amongst player offers)

To sum up what we actually need:
1. Buy order for AH
2. "floor" and "ceiling" prices for all the ores based directly on abundance in the universe. Maybe 10-20x difference between them to make space for AH (i.e. NPC buys for 10, sells for 100)
3. NPC market bot that buys infinite amount of all the resources (but very cheap), and sells infinite amount (but very expensive).
4. AH for components and tools
I still advocate that NPC trading should be phased out, not completely though, perhaps they could add a device that allows players to make automated trading areas that will sell items in storage, and buy items to add to storage. Dev stations could include these around high-traffic areas, but they would be identical to ones players can make themselves, with YOLOL and their own engineering, they could have limited stock and credits (still a high amount though) so they could go out of stock if overused. This would create a way for both players and devs to set up their own marketplaces that can run on their stations without supervision, and it wouldn't undermine the "no NPCs" thing.

CalenLoki

Master endo
By NPC trading (that I want only on dev stations) I mean "adding or removing resources or money from the game world". AKA magic box that transmutes digital money into physical materials and vice versa.

What you described is automated auction house for player stations, which is absolutely necessary for functional economy. It's not in person (vending machine) but is purely p2p, and no magic happens.

TGess

Well-known endo
without npc buying stuff we would gave exactly 0 credits and you would not be aven able to buy AH

TGess

Well-known endo
you they give very little you would spend it all just on one railgun which you cant craft

You cant really compare the economy of a small village (200-300 active players) to a country (or the game when it has thousands of active players). Also I don't get why larger numbers are such a problem, and other games have that 'problem' as well and I don't anyone cares. Also, getting credit boosts when living in a better area is a part of the high risk/high reward concept as its a pvp game and anyone can fight over it. Also, with the large travel times I think places could be really segregated in terms of their economies, probably if they were a couple moon distances apart like 3 or 4.

Last edited:
Can somebody tell me what would happen if there were different currencies in the game? Emperial units, Standart units, Kingdom units, for example? It's not a suggestion, i just wonder.

Cavilier210

Master endo
UX and GoL are the main reasons. It is very hard to count in millions or even billions, the amount of numbers is overwhelming, everything feels highly overpriced and from real life we are used to counting stuff in ten of thousands at max. Euro or Dollars are the two main currencies which people use and they are used for stuff costing 10, 100, 1k, 10k dollars but noone is ready to count in billions.
This is one of the worst reasoning's for a thing ever...

The problem boils down to not enough producers and too many consumers. A consequence of having so few people active in the economy. The other part is sellers pricing themselves beyond the means of their customers. Like hell I'm gonna pay 100 million in coists for resources to build a hauler for mining. So I just bought a ship from Okim, which was much cheaper.

Cavilier210

Master endo
Hey, your counter argument is good and valid, but you don't need to bash on TGess' argument to make that point.
It really detracts from his argument in my mind. There are many popular games where things cost billions, and factions that have trillions in assets of the ingame currency (Eve anyone?).

I hope that with the potential few thousand that may get some passes over then next few months we'll see the market prices fall.

Another thing is that there isn't too much incentive to actually sell what you mine right now. Plus, how many are just selling their hauls into the ether in the market entrance rather than on the AH?