Emphasis on Smaller ships.

Morrgard

Master endo
I may have badly expressed myself. What I meant is that, based on the devs battle video and the lack of any zooming aiming features, aiming at an enemy ship that is not close by seems really hard. More weapons would then not mean more hits on enemy, but rather a suppressing fire with more chances to have at least on hit.
I see what you mean, however, I still think that saving ammunition rather than shooting longer range shots that have a very small likelihood of success is not that great of a plan. I would rather suggest developing something that is more accurate for such long-range engagements that has a increased chance to hit the enemy vessel instead.

Garino

Active endo
I reckon glaring issues with ships and their effectiveness will be addressed during EA or before then. If we want to minimize oversights, its going to be our job to make sure we play our part in EA.

Morrgard

Master endo
I reckon glaring issues with ships and their effectiveness will be addressed during EA or before then. If we want to minimize oversights, its going to be our job to make sure we play our part in EA.
Absolutely, hopefully, everyone reports all they come across to help ensure a more refined product overall. Helping the developers is one of the points of EA after all.

K-T0N

Learned-to-sprint endo
I see what you mean, however, I still think that saving ammunition rather than shooting longer range shots that have a very small likelihood of success is not that great of a plan. I would rather suggest developing something that is more accurate for such long-range engagements that has a increased chance to hit the enemy vessel instead.
A way the ammunition issue can be solved is with laser weapons that are directly linked to a generator. But it’ll cost more fuel

Morrgard

Master endo
A way the ammunition issue can be solved is with laser weapons that are directly linked to a generator. But it’ll cost more fuel
Yes, but that in a sense may even be worse.. For if you run out of ammunition & fuel, then you are left to the mercy of you're enemy. As you can no longer escape or shoot back.

Kenetor

Master endo
I may have badly expressed myself. What I meant is that, based on the devs battle video and the lack of any zooming aiming features, aiming at an enemy ship that is not close by seems really hard. More weapons would then not mean more hits on enemy, but rather a suppressing fire with more chances to have at least on hit.
I really hope they fix this, there should definitely be some sort of signal system in place so you can read the head from power core or engines to give at least something to aim at

K-T0N

Learned-to-sprint endo
I really hope they fix this, there should definitely be some sort of signal system in place so you can read the head from power core or engines to give at least something to aim at
Maybe we’ll get something simplified like the aime system in old sw movies... that’ll be neat

Morrgard

Master endo
It takes a bit out of the fun trying to attack an enemy vessel don't you think? Figuring out the weak points. Perhaps if an elaborate YOLOL script was able to come up with something about it. I mean, so far we at least have a transmission block which may account for something eventually almost like an on-ship weapon targeting system. We will see

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
Ship sizes are however fairly limited due to engine limitations, I wouldn't image massive ships would even be possible. So cost, reliability and maintenance wise smaller patrol vessels may outperform larger ones in the long term, which is something every faction may delve into in the future.

DirtyBoyFrey

It takes a bit out of the fun trying to attack an enemy vessel don't you think? Figuring out the weak points. Perhaps if an elaborate YOLOL script was able to come up with something about it. I mean, so far we at least have a transmission block which may account for something eventually almost like an on-ship weapon targeting system. We will see
Odds are, the initial targeting systems won't really be targeting systems, but rather some kind of aim assist. You 'pin' the aim to a target and the ship manages their speed and trajectory with YOLOL and keeps the aim as close to that initial spot as possible while firing. So the player still needs to actually target the enemy/weakspot , and the code does the rest.

Morrgard

Master endo
Odds are, the initial targeting systems won't really be targeting systems, but rather some kind of aim assist. You 'pin' the aim to a target and the ship manages their speed and trajectory with YOLOL and keeps the aim as close to that initial spot as possible while firing. So the player still needs to actually target the enemy/weakspot , and the code does the rest.
Yea this was what I was implying, not much more. Good elaboration :D

Morrgard

Master endo
Ship sizes are however fairly limited due to engine limitations, I wouldn't image massive ships would even be possible. So cost, reliability and maintenance wise smaller patrol vessels may outperform larger ones in the long term, which is something every faction may delve into in the future.
Considering you want your ships to also run to they're best efforts, a fully crewed vessel is optimal which also limits sizes of ships, and for that, you cant build too large ships without it just being a waste of resources anyhow. Since crew will limit your ship's capabilities, at least for quite some time until eventually, someone finds a way to automate an entire ship using YOLOL, believe that is some time away though, and even then.. will it be better than a crewed ship.. doubt it

DrunkRussianBear

Chancellor of the Argentavian Federation
Yea this was what I was implying, not much more. Good elaboration :D
It would certainly be interesting to see, I think the earlier ships will only be 3 or 4 crew ships so the exploitation of true targeting systems would exponentially grow a small ships capability to operate large quantities of weapons.

Kenetor

Master endo
Just knowing a ship is out there is hard enough, i believe the longest ranged weapon is 6km, ships are minute at that distance, even when you got closer you still have to shoot the right area's, its just something long range to medium range you need help with.
On top of this all weapons are manual fire for now, there is no auto targeting, which i hope will change to allow for better solo play, or at least have a targeting script we can run via YOLOL

Morrgard

Master endo
It would certainly be interesting to see, I think the earlier ships will only be 3 or 4 crew ships so the exploitation of true targeting systems would exponentially grow a small ships capability to operate large quantities of weapons.
Yea I would imagine the first ships of Starbase will field larger crews with less automation until YOLOL gets booted up good with a bunch of scripts and so on.

Morrgard

Master endo
Just knowing a ship is out there is hard enough, i believe the longest ranged weapon is 6km, ships are minute at that distance, even when you got closer you still have to shoot the right area's, its just something long range to medium range you need help with.
On top of this all weapons are manual fire for now, there is no auto targeting, which i hope will change to allow for better solo play, or at least have a targeting script we can run via YOLOL
I believe if you want to do solo play, your best bet is to not have a large vessel but a "small large ship" so that you have all that you need but can also take use of weaponry and use it to the best of your abilities.

However, the game in my belief is best played with groups of people and not alone, as many ships stations, resources, and all these things take time to achieve.. Not to mention onboard ships it seems crucial with onboard repairs and such as the most minuscule and lucky bits of damage can cripple a vessel's systems

Kenetor

Master endo
I believe if you want to do solo play, your best bet is to not have a large vessel but a "small large ship" so that you have all that you need but can also take use of weaponry and use it to the best of your abilities.

However, the game in my belief is best played with groups of people and not alone, as many ships stations, resources, and all these things take time to achieve.. Not to mention onboard ships it seems crucial with onboard repairs and such as the most minuscule and lucky bits of damage can cripple a vessel's systems
I get you and I feel the same but its something i see alot of comments on from people who feel they cant play the "lone wolf" style of play, but there needs to be some sort of sensor system even if it isn't linked to targeting systems by default,
Hell even for those super large factions, you will need some sort of IFF system or you may end bombarding fellow faction mates!
Gotta have a quick way of seeing who is friend and who is foe

Tumbla

Well-known endo
Yeah probably big ships for longer travel. Carrier type battle ships to use as staging areas for attacks on other factios farther from the Safety of the space stations.

Morrgard

Master endo
I get you and I feel the same but its something i see alot of comments on from people who feel they cant play the "lone wolf" style of play, but there needs to be some sort of sensor system even if it isn't linked to targeting systems by default,
Hell even for those super large factions, you will need some sort of IFF system or you may end bombarding fellow faction mates!
Gotta have a quick way of seeing who is friend and who is foe
Oh of course yea, I do believe or at least hope there will be something signifying faction vessels. Otherwise that would make it highly difficult, but I can also imagine something like this needing to be done somehow in YOLOL, but IF it were to not be a thing, you can always make use of more RP / caution, using communications to see if whichever vessel you've come across is friend or foe (Neutral?)

Also lone wolf play will most certainly be available, it might just turn out a bit harder as the game has a certain focus on group(s) play

Recatek

Meat Popsicle
Larger ships could have more redundant systems, so losing a single propellant tank or generator wouldn't be as catastropic as it would be for a smaller ship.