Griefing and social engineering policies

Also.. saying that Eve is a mess is... false. People may not like the game, but it is very logical and ordered. It is far from a "mess".

Messir Astaroth

Well-known endo
Not sure if it is correct to publish the following screenshots, but I think I feel that it is the right place and moment to do so.
1616655282010.png

This is from the Imperial Embassy. Im not providing the screenshots of that guy saying the F word to me, because it will get me banned here.

1616655405221.png

This is from the DMs with me. I asked him why he used those words and agression and that is what he replied. I am not providing the entire dialog though, because only highlighted point of this message matters here and now. Disclaimer: I am not going to blackmail or flame at the devs in any way, and Im not here to damage their image and reputation. I am providing these screenshots, only because what Lauri and Joel wrote before - now seems obsolete, because VilleFB today has completely different information, which I believe is more relevant (because its more new), sadly.

It is very sad, that EVE is still treated as a 'mess' by these brilliant guys who made such a brilliant game. Ban of social engineering is... wrong. VERY WRONG!!! Its like shooting in your own leg, Frozenbyte. We love you guys and your game, and we dont want it to die, because of the silly social rules, that punish players for their natural interaction with each other. Can you understand that each of these things that you call 'griefing' makes the entire game a lot more thrilling and exciting? And they will lalso make Starbase much more popular than just a pve bob fest. People will read what journalists write about the biggest drama in the news and game magazines, everyone will be reading it and think how awesome it is that you can do in that universe what tf ever you want, and that they definetely should buy it and try it.

This is how it works with EVE. This is why they say: "EVE is real". This is how it should work with Starbase too, imo.

Last edited:

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
Interesting how much of the conversation was cut out. Like this for instance was missing. They can run these poor attempts of slander for attention all they wish. We will still not recognize their group's relevance.
Discord_skyGtfjkBS.png

Last edited:

Messir Astaroth

Well-known endo
Interesting how much of the conversation was cut out. Like this for instance was missing. They can run these poor attempts of slander for attention all they wish. We will still not recognize their group's relevance.
View attachment 2156
It was cut out because it's irrelevant. Please do not derail this topic into another flame fest, we wont discuss our faction relations/politics/wars here.

And also there is no slander, there are only quotes about future of the game that are relevant. The rest of it is irrelevant and offtopic here.

Last edited:

Messir Astaroth

Well-known endo
While I agree with you that at least in full release, social engineering should be allowed, the important question is to ask whether Ville was saying this as a Starbase developer, or as a faction leader (as in they will declare such actions as crimes and take action in game).
When he was speaking on behalf of Empire - he was proudly speaking as a faction leader and we do not have problems with that. It is natural and normal to be bold and imperialistic, when approx. 50% of the entire playerbase is at your command, absolutely loyal to you and the Empire you've built

However when it comes to the Starbase as a whole and its griefing/social policies - I believe he is speaking as a Frozenbyte employee and Starbase game developer, who has solid vision about the future of the game and thus he IS telling me the truth about it.

That is why I brought his quotes here, because I believe that his vision is flawed. I also hope that he is fine with me bringing it over here and disagreeing with him, because everyone here has their own opinions, and I have the right to have mine, as a player

Last edited:

Walord

Active endo
@Geronimo553 The context you provided isnt even the "main event" it was what ville said in the dms and yes, it was irrelevant. In the dm ville was talking as a game dev for the last part or at least thats how i read it. If he wasnt, he need to make that clearer

Last edited:

dusty

Let's keep the faction drama out of this, please, and try to keep the discussion to the more salient points of social engineering rather than devolve to he-said-she-said.

If FB doubles down on this policy of no social engineering... well.. they'll have to come up with a lot of gameplay mechanics that will break the sandbox aspect of the game. It won't be a sandbox at that point. And having written rules and enforcing them with cms and admins is a ridiculous idea simply because of the logistics. It's literally not possible to handle drama on a case by case basis with large populations. I don't believe Ville has even played Eve to any extensive amount when saying stuff like Eve is a mess.. it's not. Nothing about it is a mess. It's just not a game for kids. If the FB devs hope to have a younger audience to Starbase with a bunch of safety rules, especially rules against social engineering, then well... Roblox is a much better game for that.

But I think there is a conflict going on here that may be missed in the environment of a closed alpha. CA is a very insulated environment, and you are not actually getting a good idea of who will play Starbase once it hits early access... A large population from Dual Universe, a large population from Space Engineers, and a large population of Eve players. EA will radically change your feedback. Given the social engineering rules, it will create radical conflicts between what players want and what FB's vision is for the game. I fear the game mechanics will change for the worse once EA hits because FB will be forced to create sandbox breaking mechanics to uphold their stance on social engineering.

Last edited:

Huursa

Well-known endo
If FB doubles down on this policy of no social engineering... well.. they'll have to come up with a lot of gameplay mechanics that will break the sandbox aspect of the game. It won't be a sandbox at that point. And having written rules and enforcing them with cms and admins is a ridiculous idea simply because of the logistics. It's literally not possible to handle drama on a case by case basis with large populations. I don't believe Ville has even played Eve to any extensive amount when saying stuff like Eve is a mess.. it's not. Nothing about it is a mess. It's just not a game for kids. If the FB devs hope to have a younger audience to Starbase with a bunch of safety rules, especially rules against social engineering, then well... Roblox is a much better game for that.

But I think there is a conflict going on here that may be missed in the environment of a closed alpha. CA is a very insulated environment, and you are not actually getting a good idea of who will play Starbase once it hits early access... A large population from Dual Universe, a large population from Space Engineers, and a large population of Eve players. EA will radically change your feedback. Given the social engineering rules, it will create radical conflicts between what players want and what FB's vision is for the game. I fear the game mechanics will change for the worse once EA hits because FB will be forced to create sandbox breaking mechanics to uphold their stance on social engineering.
And thousands of ppl from ark/atlas/last oasis

It's just not a game for kids. If the FB devs hope to have a younger audience to Starbase with a bunch of safety rules, especially rules against social engineering, then well... Roblox is a much better game for that.
This has nothing to do with being a "kid". This might have to do with different definitions of what "fun" is though. For some its escaping the real world and NOT having to deal with its shit. For others it might be to simulate real world - with the difference they can do in-game what they cant in real world cause they dont have the power or couldnt stand the consequences there (and this often means "be an irresponsible asshole", sry to be that frank).

Huursa

Well-known endo
This has nothing to do with being a "kid". This might have to do with different definitions of what "fun" is though. For some its escaping the real world and NOT having to deal with its shit. For others it might be to simulate real world - with the difference they can do in-game what they cant in real world cause they dont have the power or couldnt stand the consequences there (and this often means "be an irresponsible asshole", sry to be that frank).
Amigo u wouldnt want ppl tryin to do ingame shit irl, u shud be careful what u wish for.

Huursa

Well-known endo
1. Im not your "Amigo".
2. I didnt wish for anything.
3. Is this supposed to be a threat or something? xD
U said ppl act bad in games and kill on sight cuz they ar too "scared" or dont hav the power to do it irl but thats the whole point, such ppl shud be playin games and engagin in this shit there and not tryin to do it irl.

Last time i checked this thread was about griefing and social engineering and not about shooting people on sight, but ok... xD

Anyway... imagine micromanaging a 20,000 community of drama queens and power hungry orgs... lets be super generous and grant SB a population of 50,000 gamers. It's going to be great.