Larger devices instead of hundreds of smaller devices

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
With current meta gearing towards hundreds of crates and thrusters, we are going to introduce larger versions of most used devices. Some of these devices will also allow some gameplay improvements for the large vessels.

As and example, here's images of upcoming crates. There is also a 1/8 miniature crate for those very, very, very small cargo needs. :D

Starbase_modular_crates__23.10.2020.jpg

PandaPants200

Learned-to-sprint endo
Are the various colors of crates linked to what resources they are meant to store/are these crates still sort of a placeholder?

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Some crates are ore crates only, some crates are universal item crates, some may be for example weapon crates only. Color indicates the type of the crate.

Universal crate in general can hold less stuff than specialized crate. Crates will have slot amount, slot sizes, kv, kg and types as stats.

MoneylooJr

Well-known endo
Awww, the small one is tiny! Having some sort of difference in design rather than just color differences would be helpful for different crate types.
Maybe a matching decal on the crate's sides? So weapon crates have a generic rifle/ammo belt decal, ore has an asteroid or crystal, etc. Not sure what universal would have, maybe just a box?

five

Master endo
I think this is awesome, this will also allow for large ship thrusters to be not just an array of some puny little thrusters

dusty

Does that mean that the crates with the fun lids are out? I remember there being some issues with their usage.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
We have various decals planned for the crates to indicate what they may hold :D

Starbase_modular_crates_logo_example__23.10.2020.jpg

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
Furthermore, following devices are at least considered to get new sizes:
  • Thrusters (very large modular thruster is already being worked on)
  • Batteries
  • Generator
  • Propellant tanks
Bonus: size comparison of the crates :p

Starbase_modular_crates_size__23.10.2020.jpg

CalenLoki

Master endo
Can endo even pick up such big crate to snap it in place?

Also I personally think that shapes other than perfect cubes are way cooler, even if slightly harder to work with.
I.e.
72x72x144, 144x144x144, 144x288x432, 288x432x576, 432x576x864

Kodey

Veteran endo
Thrusters (very large modular thruster is already being worked on)
Does this include some kind of smaller thruster for compact ships?

Will we also see more triangle plates? I understand they’re not devices, but they’re still a major object hog