Manual Beam Welding - Requesting feedback on a design suggestion for replacing attachment plates

MyrddinE

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I'm onboard, as long as a solution also exists for plates; without welded plates, I use attachment plates to extend plates in odd angles. But it's a very manual and tedious process; I'd gladly drop it in favor of a better solution.

I’ve been hoping for something like this for a long time, and fully support it. It covers most of what we used attachment plates for.

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
If this can be thin as APs and/or adjustable in size, then I like the idea. But we will also need a "weld" version for armor pates to.

Additionally, we need beams and plates to have less strict 3d clipping. Let us clip beams/plates more into each other to more easily fix unnecessary gaps. This alone would be the most useful. Its why there are so many gaps causing the need for people to use APs in the fire place.

Last edited:
This looks absolutely perfect for complex ships with a lot of odd angles. It'll really help a lot, and this solves a lot of problems with beams not fitting perfectly. Though imo, attachment plates should be kept alongside this. Those two working together would enable the very best of ships to fly

Zaff

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Perfect! So much cleaner while still allowing odd angles. I checked my most AP-dependent ship and it seems fully convertible to using weld blocks. Also presumably better performance than spamming multiple plates and bolts.
1623175542767.png

Seems a very good solution, it's simpler than AP and I think is even more versatile for building frames

Venombrew

Master endo
I would ask for a measuring block as well, basically a beam with 2CM snapping points all around it, up to 12CM, so we can ensure we're building a balanced ship / in symmetry, IE, place the measuring block on the beam, snap the beam we want to weld at 4CM on both sides, fill with weld.
this is an excellent idea to add. i was curious about how the alignments would fair up with this more freeform build, which i think is a huge improvement. but the idea he is talking about reminds me of my carpenters square, i need that to make sure im in line and squared up.

EDIT: how much stress could a crossweld set of beams take? you know something that could combined a 4way extended structure that could allow more natural dome style builds.

This is a solid solution, and I would use it immediately if implemented. I think it is a perfect replacement for the attachment plate vs beam problems.

MoonSet416

Well-known endo
We are still losing the ability to bolt beams through plates tho. This wouldn't be a problem if large plate meta wasn't a thing, but with the current damage system you more or less have to bolt beams through plates just to keep the plates useful.

But otherwise this looks good. Honestly if this was announced earlier we would save ourselves so much drama.

I like the solution!
Also. Suggestion. Glue. Like welding but weak.
I have a love/hate relationship with bolts. I like the freedom that you can take whatever and bolt it to the ship. That if you find something useful in space to salvage you can even transport it by, well bolting it to your ship. (edit.. but don't remove bolts!!!!!)

However I hate that you have to ruin the looks of your ship by putting a bolt through buttons, text panels etc. So..

glue. Weaker than welding, maybe strenght of 1 to max 2 bolts (depending on surface area. Perfect for gluing buttons and panels. Maybe also strong enough to ad that extra plate on your door to make it fit another shape than the premade plates.. or that extra plate as a fin for that good looks...