Manual Beam Welding - Requesting feedback on a design suggestion for replacing attachment plates

Irish

Endokid
My friends and I were all ship designers. When they removed attachment plates and were adding this we put our designing on pause and gave the game a break. We keep checking back but it's been months... Is there any word on this?

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
Simply more plate parts and this would enable so much more. We need a much more vast selection of plate sizes, angles, and shapes.
Stretching beams to fit the special gaps left in our lives by special beams would help a lot, but to do so for plates would be a whole new level of art we could create.

Simply more plate parts and this would enable so much more. We need a much more vast selection of plate sizes, angles, and shapes.
Stretching beams to fit the special gaps left in our lives by special beams would help a lot, but to do so for plates would be a whole new level of art we could create.
It would be great if the skin could be typed from primitives of 12x12 cm or even 6x6 of various shapes. But this requires a complete reworking/rethinking of the current health system in favor of penetrating damage based on the density of the material. Well, welding of the skin parts of course.

ChaosRifle

Veteran endo
Welded plates, even just to eachother, would be nice. I find myself struggling with making a ship not a slow horrible mess when trying to make them artistic, because GOOD plating should only be bolted to a beam, but beams get heavy when required to do small decorative plates.

If you bolt several plates to eachother, they chain react when they fall off.
I actually have a build I am making right now (replica 1:1 scale MCRN Tachi) where it calls for back to pack triangle plates.. Being able to weld the two plates together would save be a beam dedicated to a string of 24x24 triangles, and like 600 bolts(when accounting for all 8 corners), all manual placed

Kodey

Veteran endo
So odd you think that. The devs are as talkative as ever.

Also... why would devs not do what they want with their own game...?
Think it’s more appropriate to say that this manual weld thing feels more like an empty promise, something made to calm down the community after a bad decision.

Meant to quote Evil, but my point still stands

That is a fair point. They hindered our creativity, promised a replacement for the more important use case, and then poofed on it apparently. Like, are they still intending to work on it?

That is a fair point. They hindered our creativity, promised a replacement for the more important use case, and then poofed on it apparently. Like, are they still intending to work on it?
I think they have an enormous backlog standing in between them and a game that actually has shit for people to do, and they made a judgement call to prioritize developing less baked areas of the game.

I'm also frustrated about this - I think knowing more about the future of the designer and what plans, if any, they have on deck for making designing ships less like pulling teeth would be great.

But I cannot blame them in the slightest for choosing to burn their brain cells addressing the larger concern that we have something to do with the ships we create right now.

Like, let's be real here - the SSC is, for all it's profound shortcomings, the most polished experience this game has right now.

What we're bitching about here HAS functional workarounds - those functional workarounds suck, but they're still functional.

So as much as I'd dearly love for a status update on this, I think it's pretty clear that the status is "we put this on the back burner and we're not ready to focus on it yet," and I think that's a wise decision given the current state of the rest of the game.

I mean realistically I think it's dubious that this issue would even be on their radar right now - the design space for solving this problem is extremely open ended and they have a bunch of other interconnected shit that they need to square away, like the idea that we might merge some aspects of EBM / SSC behavior, etc. so even when the deck is cleared enough to come back to the ship design experience as an area of focus, it's fairly probable that edge cases like this are going to need to wait until some of the larger design questions are answered.

You aren't wrong IronGremlin. But this is a months long issue, and we were told they would get back to us with more info and intent.
Yeah, I hear you.

I'm just saying there is a really good chance that the reason we never heard anything more about this is because there just isn't an answer to the question at all anymore - and if I'm a dev for FB and my only response to this thread with a bunch of people clamoring after an abandoned feature is "Yeah sorry guys we scrapped this one and I'm not sure when we're going to have time to revisit this topic," I'm going to have a really hard time justifying saying that vs. saying nothing.

Kodey

Veteran endo
Another thing with this is that the devs waited till the very end of alpha to remove the attachment plates, a core building mechanic (IMO) and announce the manual welds. If attachment plates had been removed earlier, I have a feeling people wouldn’t have been as upset.