Mechs

I would find it cool if we could build mechs too, which could walk on the moon( or maybe other places where gravity is present) because i think it would be a cool addition to have some sort of combat or mining mechs. So if there would be parts that would make building mechs easier (or possible at all) that would be damn cool.:)

Torokin

Active endo
Imagine building a Mech Fighter arena on a moon somewhere, people build their own mechs and fight until only one is left standing. Insane!

I think what you're really asking for is all the individual parts required to create the basic Mechwarrior style creation functionality? so servos, miniaturized motors for them, and other parts related to stabile walking motion.

I would love this, but rotors and servos can be pretty difficult to implement*cough space engineers*. Although something which I would definitely be interested in seeing later development stages of the game.

Tennyboy

Active endo
vr capable mechs are the one other thing I would love from this game with mech specific blocks e.g. magnetic blocks for the hands back and for the weapons, this would give people another reason to use vr in starbase and the mech battles would be a lot more entertaining

five

Master endo
vr capable mechs are the one other thing I would love from this game with mech specific blocks e.g. magnetic blocks for the hands back and for the weapons, this would give people another reason to use vr in starbase and the mech battles would be a lot more entertaining
I dont think starbase VR is ever going to be supporting mechs due to the games limits: You could rn theoretically build a walking mech (would be reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaallllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy hard but possible) but you wouldn't be able to control every limb individually like in VR. It would more be like Titanfall controlling a mech with forward backward (automated) walking and shooting and so on mechanics

CalenLoki

Master endo
Depends on how well you'd be able to translate vr movement into joint angles.
If VR outputs points in space and game can somehow read that, it's just matter of inverse kinematics to move robot body part there.

Theoretically doable, but for sure won't be competitive combat capable.

five

Master endo
You would have to track hands, elbows, head, knees and legs. Also every singular of these movements would have to be transfered into YOLOL code since character movement doesnt resolve in a turntable turning or a hinge moving. Thats why you would have to automate everything

Since this is a game about mecs (a.k.a. endos).
I think becoming a MEC may be a nice endgame goal. Like all this mining/building/socializing was for one purpose: becoming Optimus Prime. :)
But using the mec-form should be limeited somehow. Maybe the suits should require some rare and expensive power sources. So that they would be used only on rewarding and hard missions, and not for bringin chaos to noob stations or convoys.

Tennyboy

Active endo
I agree that mechs VR capable or not, In a way should be an end game goal but if the devs decided to add specific mech parts to the game that you can obtain at a mid-stage then the mechs could be more important in large battles that could take out large ships if it can get close enough but get shot to pieces if it is spotted in time. and finally if the devs can add yolol scrips specifically for the mech the mech could work in starbase.

five

Master endo
Mechs wont be important in large battles if they don't act like fighters (as in capable to fly around) because they would just be endos, but in bigger and being a bigger target is bad. If Mechs had the capabilities of fighters what would be the point of designing them? Why have this huge and complicated building system? Yes having big ass mechs would be cool af, but they wouldn't be usefull in anything but logistics or mining. I can on think of 3 ez ways I can take out a big Mech without entering a danger zone. Also the devs dont "add" YOLOL scripts, scripts are written by the players, a mech would probably need a gyroscope added but otherwise you just have to learn how to code. In conclusion:
Mechs are possible and would be nice af, but they will only under very limited circumstances be usefull in a battle of any sort, just like "conventionell" tanks will be.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I think mechs would be cool, and I've seen a few people ask for them already, but I just don't think that they'd be useful or even possible with the current tech in the game.

For starters, there isn't much a mech could actually do in this game that a ship couldn't just do better, even on the ground. Want to lift and move something? Tractor beam or a cargo lock frame could do the job on a ship. Want to take it into combat? Shot down by manoeuvrable aerial forces.
There just really isn't much you could do with a mech other than showing it off.
It also isn't entirely possible, while there are moving joints in the game, they just really don't have the versatility for any kind of legs or arms required for a proper mech.

I have actually thought about having mechs before for moon surface exploration, but I immediately realised I couldn't make them with legs, since the tech is not there, so I decided to design it with a hover bank instead (maneuver thrusters with YOLOL script), then I realised the arms couldn't do much, so I cut them off, I had to cut down the torso and head since it was such a big target, and I just kept cutting bits off so it would actually be possible.
Then I realised I just made a hover tank.

Rather than mechs, what could be implemented could just be different endo sizes, small endos, big endos, wide endos, thin endos you'd have to give them all some kind of unique stats so they wouldn't be pointless, but it would be interesting to see.

Tennyboy

Active endo
I agree they could be good it could be trash but it depends on how it is done and if they add block/pieces specific to the mech like weapon parts and mechs could be overpowered with the more time a player spends upgrading it and getting better equipment for the mech such as upgrading its armour, building a better weapon system and upgrading the main weapon system e.g. sword (which could have special blocks that do something similar to the mining lazar) (like a light sabre but it uses a lot of energy and when turned off is extremely venerable) special guns that connect to the mechs hand via magnet connectors in the weapon, back of the mech(for weapon storage) and in the hand. with more durable armour the mech will become a lot more significant in battles but it is a long term goal for large industry, an army or a determined player. and maybe in the future, it could even implement VR into the game which would be in favour of the mech.

five

Master endo
I agree they could be good it could be trash but it depends on how it is done and if they add block/pieces specific to the mech like weapon parts and mechs could be overpowered with the more time a player spends upgrading it and getting better equipment for the mech such as upgrading its armour, building a better weapon system and upgrading the main weapon system e.g. sword (which could have special blocks that do something similar to the mining lazar) (like a light sabre but it uses a lot of energy and when turned off is extremely venerable) special guns that connect to the mechs hand via magnet connectors in the weapon, back of the mech(for weapon storage) and in the hand. with more durable armour the mech will become a lot more significant in battles but it is a long term goal for large industry, an army or a determined player. and maybe in the future, it could even implement VR into the game which would be in favour of the mech.
That is the problem. They are either useless in battle or they are more usefull than fighters. This is why I am against adding battle focused Mech mechanics, cuz there is either no incentive to build a fighter or no incentive to build a mech over the other.

Verbatos

Veteran endo
I do want to ask: what niche would you think that mechs would fill if they're added? Where would it be better to use a mech over something else?
Ship boarding would only be possible with endos, since hallways are small, space combat is only possible with ships, and surface combat is just not viable to begin with, and hover tanks would just be better than mechs overall anyway.
What do you think mechs could actually be useful for if they were added?

Tennyboy

Active endo
If mechs do become more integrated into the starbase community then ships would be designed for carrying mechs or they could be used to steal cargo with more efficiency