Starbase in five years

Stanky

Active endo
So I thought about another hypothetical question. What will starbase be like in five years?

So I was thinking about Starbase long-term plans for TUSE. So I got thinking about what kind of game Starbase will be years from now. Will it still be in EA like other games in the genre? Or will it be as big as Eve Online? What will in-game politics look like? What major conflicts will happen? Will it even be relevant five years from now (I hope so).

So I'm asking these questions to help out the entire community. We need to have a discussion about the future. The more we discuss it now, the more likely the game will live a good long life. Perhaps even rivaling other major MMO's.

Talla

Learned-to-sprint endo
Your post made me think about something important: What's the endgame?

Discovering all the galaxy?
Your faction achieving intergalactic dominance?
Designing, engineering & testing player-made creations to your hearts content, to the limits of in-game content and imagination?
Create an AI in YOLOL that would pass the turing test?

I feel like we need something more. A setted arbitrary goal to which we can collectively contribute while having fun. Fighting alien NPC raids? Preventing black holes from swallowing our stations? Terraforming a planet?

Having complete freedom in a game is nice, but after reaching high playtimes, you gotta have something to keep veterans focused (other than PvP) if you want to keep your playercount.

Upkeep costs might keep us busy enough I guess.

Last edited:

TheMarksman

Veteran endo
Well, I suppose one thing for us is to have fun :p

But on a more serious note, I suppose that after five years, faction politics would've changed, (For better or worst) trade routes would be mapped and frequently used, factions would be more willing to finance newcomers, existing infrastructures would've expanded.

Huursa

Well-known endo
In 5 years the game would hav become an exact copy of ATLAS with big ass alliances fightin each other, beta tribes gettin leashed by the big tribes and tons of slavery goin on.

Azelous

Veteran endo
In 5 years the game would hav become an exact copy of ATLAS with big ass alliances fightin each other, beta tribes gettin leashed by the big tribes and tons of slavery goin on.
The doomsayer strikes again. In 5 years Ark/Atlas alliances are indistinguishable from other alliances, except one of them may or may not have Huursa as a member.

Also, stop shoving your ideals of people "gettin leashed" on others, would you? The only reason it works in Ark and Atlas is because those maps are tiny, the players literally have nowhere to go if they want to continue playing on the server.

Edit: Please do not start a new conversation about Starbase being just like Ark or Atlas here. Either PM me, or start a new thread.

Last edited:

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
While i never heard of Ark or Atlas it is dam well impossible as the starting safezones can get bigger and bigger, people cant be slaves as they can switch bodys and never get stuck in a lame cage of boringness and yes, do please start a new thread it is not needed.

Huursa

Well-known endo
While i never heard of Ark or Atlas it is dam well impossible as the starting safezones can get bigger and bigger, people cant be slaves as they can switch bodys and never get stuck in a lame cage of boringness and yes, do please start a new thread it is not needed.
By slaves i mean tribes that are forced into farmin for another tribe cuz if they dont they gon get wiped, slavery in games = forced labour. And why start a new thread this one is exactly on topic cuz we discussin the future and im just pretty much sayin how its gon be.

Huursa

Well-known endo
The doomsayer strikes again. In 5 years Ark/Atlas alliances are indistinguishable from other alliances, except one of them may or may not have Huursa as a member.

Also, stop shoving your ideals of people "gettin leashed" on others, would you? The only reason it works in Ark and Atlas is because those maps are tiny, the players literally have nowhere to go if they want to continue playing on the server.

Edit: Please do not start a new conversation about Starbase being just like Ark or Atlas here. Either PM me, or start a new thread.
Nop whats gon happen is anyone outside the safe zone will pretty much get leashed in the first month and if u wanna hide in the safe zone sure np but once that shit becomes a barren void with no asteroids, someones gotta go outside the safe zone to farm and end up gettin leashed, also fuel prices gon go thru the roof cuz the bigger the void the more fuel u gon need. The bobs on atlas also thought they gon live in the safe zones but quickly realized livin in a zone with 200 ppl in it gets over crowded fast.

Oobfiche

Well-known endo
the safezone does grow when asteroids run out and the mining hall generates asteroids to mine if it turns into a issue the devs can simply snap there fingers, and also a wipe if needed if anything gos wrong in terms of adding things, this future will be a alternate one of this "atlas" and "ark"

TheMarksman

Veteran endo
Nop whats gon happen is anyone outside the safe zone will pretty much get leashed in the first month and if u wanna hide in the safe zone sure np but once that shit becomes a barren void with no asteroids, someones gotta go outside the safe zone to farm and end up gettin leashed, also fuel prices gon go thru the roof cuz the bigger the void the more fuel u gon need. The bobs on atlas also thought they gon live in the safe zones but quickly realized livin in a zone with 200 ppl in it gets over crowded fast.
You do realise that with a safezone 1000km in diameter, overcrowding is nigh.
Oh not to mention, having a bigger faction is counter intuitive if you plan on moving a lot. More craft, more fuel.

Azelous

Veteran endo
This is a forum for sharing everyone's ideals of Starbase in five years time, let's keep it that way. We already sidetracked one forum, let's not do that here as well. Instead please use this forum for continued discussion on Starbase not being like Ark or Atlas.

LauriFB

Administrator
Frozenbyte
November this year marks 6 years of active development of Starbase. With our current development pace I'm confident we're out of early access in two years from it's start :)

In the next five years the game has expanded exponentially and players have surprised us at least daily with their inventions, in both good and less good ways. Developers of course hope their baby would take over the world universe, and with Starbase I truly believe this is possible.

Stanky

Active endo
November this year marks 6 years of active development of Starbase. With our current development pace I'm confident we're out of early access in two years from it's start :)

In the next five years the game has expanded exponentially and players have surprised us at least daily with their inventions, in both good and less good ways. Developers of course hope their baby would take over the world universe, and with Starbase I truly believe this is possible.
Oh man. It's been in development for six years. I sometimes forget that, but it's good to know that you guys give us an estimated time for being in early access.

I hope this game becomes as big as Eve. It has the potential to do that.

Tumbla

Well-known endo
In 5 years we will have terraforming, moons or planets colonized by large factions.Economic and military superpowers controlling large parts of moons and worlds. Wars will no longer only be fought in space, but also on the ground. Death stars will travel the galaxy armed with 1000+ weapons and a moon destroying hypercannon. YOLOL viruses will plague the galaxy, infecting all technology.

Maybe

Kmank

Well-known endo
I just hope they keep expanding on the game. I think it could easily have a 10+ year game life if done well. Here is hoping it gets to Eve-level longevity.