What would you name your ships and why?

Leftharted

Learned-to-sprint endo
I have an idea, but no design for it... mostly because I want to tinker with how awkward flying an asymmetrical ship will be given that their is no camera or third person view (yet?)

The Sinistral

Sinistral literal definition: of or on the left side or the left hand.

So if I can design a cool ship with a left-side asymmetrical cockpit; she shall be named, The Sinistral.

:p

So I have given this some thought and I would say that if you can make a name for you're self and develop an extremely formidable ship than you should make any ships you make based off of a class system, I like the number 7 and a Triple 7 class ship roles off the tongue nicely. I would make a few ships and class them accordingly, ensuring that they sure they are recognizable based off of their class, for example I would make a ship that's like king of dog fighting, and call it a Triple 7 class, three 7's for a highly maneuverable ship capable of taking a hit and dealing one too, two 7's for a mid range ship that's still good at fighting but likely smaller, and one 7 for a small fighter class of a ship that can't take much a hit but can doge everything and land some shots if it gets the chance, this ship would mainly be focused on speed. So ya, names won't mean anything if yo cant make a name for your brand of ships essentially and If I get my way I'll have a ship brand capable of delivering a 777 class ship fared by all, and if you ask me that's where the name will come through, for example imagine suddenly seeing a ship come out from behind an asteroid, marked by its iconic golden 7's,"whats that?""I see it, its a, its a... oh no, its a triple 7 class, we'd better run" "do you see its name, can we fight it?" ... "its the Fire Bird sir"{*fleeing intensifies*}

so ya, just imagine eventually having a ship, feared by its class of 777, eventually being feared by its name. so ya that's my thoughts, name means nothing until people come to know it as something to be feared and avoid altogether.

Red October. always first pick for a ship name..
Edit: Obviously the ship has to be built up to the name, so can't be properly named until it fits the ship.

There are so many great and important names for sci-fi ships across writing and movies. Not to mention the whatever anyone else can come up with on their own to fit what they want. My personal favorites I'll list below:

Bucephalus/Bucephelus: this name may sound odd but it has important historical and fictional meaning. It is the name of Alexander the Great's horse and the name of the personal flagship of the Emperor of Mankind from Warhammer 40k. I like the name for a ship as it translates that it is transporting someone of significance.

Eclipse: coming from Emperor Palpatine's flagship in the Star Wars legends books, the Eclipse was a Super Star Destroyer equipped with a miniature super laser. Very iconic and a appropriately themed name for space.

Harbinger: this one is from Mass Effect and is the name of the primary Reaper that Commander Shepard faces against in Mass Effect 2 & 3. A Harbinger by definition is a bringer of change, a very fitting title for a large warship.

Monarch: My favorite ship from the game "Dreadnought", the Monarch was a massive warship loaded with tremendous amounts of firepower and armor. A literal fortress in space, it lives up to its name.

My naming system goes something like this:
1. I decide a descriptive name for a ship/weapon for example Light-Rocket-Ship
2. I take the first letters LRS
3. I add something extra LRS-2, LRS A (Version of the ship, Variant...)

Example of a name I gave a weapon in a different game
SK-80 SK stands for "Schienenkanone" translation of Railgun into German (Because SK sounds better than RG) and 80 stands for the power consumption (80MW).

Why?
Because it gives the names some meaning and it sounds like, I did a lot of planning.

Vis

Active endo
The big problem I see with naming ships in this game is that too many people will name their ships the same thing. Like I can see there being like 20 fighter designs out there named the raptor or viper or something like that. XD I think I will just name my designs with some letters and numbers and just let the first person to buy that ship design, name it if they want. Most likely someone else will already have that name for a ship anyways so I don't see any point in wasting time coming up with a name for my ships. It would have to be something really uncommon, not well known or just some weird word you just made up and doesn't mean anything.

Probably Redemption or something like that and scare all the people, who got me as a noob. Join me or die!

MoonSet416

Well-known endo
If names are supposed to be descriptive all of my ships should be called flying boxes. But I never stop in my search for worse names.

will name my ship the bork bringer or maybe the fate bringer.. not sure yet.

edit: because of my former and current crew names.