Who would like to see/participate/bet on SPACE RACES?

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
In case you need gates, I'm on a rotary-symmetry spree and can make something for the race.
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...237328670801/unknown.png?width=711&height=672
I'm pretty sure we were working with the devs on getting holographics gates... last time I checked. Though if that doesn't happen I know who to talk to.

Will there be youtube videos made from it? I really wanna see, how flying at the limit looks in SB. If yes please link videos in another post on this thread
We'll be streaming the races and I'm sure someone will make videos from it. More news on ERA coming soon.

MoneylooJr

Well-known endo
I wouldn't mind some good ol' space races. It would finally give me an actual reason to make dangerously fast ships!

CalenLoki

Master endo
I just saw that picture: Damn Loki how many hours did you spent on that
Too many and not many enough.
Around 20h now. But at least half of it got scrapped because I keep improving and redesigning. And because game doesn't understand 5 degree frames...

five

Master endo
Update: I found a video that actually represents what I was thinking of when talking about space racing, well kinda. Link:

Meetbolio

Veteran endo
Update: I found a video that actually represents what I was thinking of when talking about space racing, well kinda. Link:
Aye, Yummy's flying is exceptional. As much as I try to practice I doubt I'll be able to catch up to our track charter ^^

BadNation

Well-known endo
I feel like this is going to be a big thing within starbase, including the virtual debt collectors :censored:

Back when I played Star Made some guys had a similar idea after a few test runs this is how they did it
1) Checkpoint system, racers had to get to each checkpoint get out of their ship get an item then run back to their ship
2) Limit to thrusters, ships could only have a certain amount of thrust blocks
3) Hazards, the first was automated turrets second was an artificial asteroid field.

1 made it so you didn't have to worry about having a specific track for racers to stay on, as they had to go straight from one checkpoint to the other.
2 and 3 combined made it so racers had to balance acceleration maneuverability and durability. Make a ship focused on speed and you'll lack that ability to quickly change direction and you'll be as tough and a wet paper bag. Focus on durability and the other racers will fly right past you.