Anyone think large scale warfare will happen in star base?

I played quite a bit of eve, so i'm pretty sure some crazy things are possible in star base, including large scale warfare, but some people don't seem to think so. your thoughts?

Kodey

Veteran endo
I think it’s possible, it was shown in the trailer, but I don’t think it’s likely to happen all too often, but I do see many small battles happening here and there.

I think once every company has done their grinding to muster up a small feet there will be bloodshed to carve out space. Then peace. Then smaller wars. But there are larger 1k+ groups and will eat up small companies. Its a political sim in my view xD conflict is one of the tools in the arsenal.

five

Master endo
I agree with Narial on that there will be battles. But I think we will not see any PLAYER ORGANISED large scale battles. The only way I see large scale warfare to happen within the first year would be if Captain Jack (Youtuber/Leader of Faction Red Wood Industries) would fake one for the sake of a video (He already does something like a TV series in SE). Also I don't really think that large factions will eat up smaller companies. You can implement companies into factions, but that is more on a freewill base or the companies where meant to unify in the first place.

TheMarksman

Veteran endo
Large scale battles would likely happen only in theory, but with the high cost of warfare and the economics of things, large scale warfare in practice would be highly improbable.

I agree with Narial on that there will be battles. But I think we will not see any PLAYER ORGANISED large scale battles.
In Narials post, he explains that there are even Factions in Starbase already that have 1k+ members. There are dozens of other Factions including my own that have hundreds of members.

Many of these Factions plan to fight each other and will. That is large scale warfare, whether its 2 large Factions facing off, or several.

Definitely will be if Lightyear industries has anything to say about it! Funny part about large scale warfare... People can be made to think it was their own idea to start it! Happy Flying Scrappers!

Honestly, I don't think that large scale battles will happen very often. The problem is resource balance. If ships are cheap to build, resources won't be valuable and there will be no reason to fight in the first place. If ships are expensive, people won't want to risk their hard earned equipment. Based on how complex construction in Starbase is, I assume we're headed towards the latter scenario. Battles will likely come down to who brings more ships, with the smaller side surrendering and either joining the larger faction or fleeing to avoid their ships being destroyed. Large scale battle will only occur when both sides are equally matched, which will be rare. Factions won't be inclined to pick fights with others of the same size because even if they win, their fleet will still take losses.

Of course, the PVP meta will also play into this. If small fighters continue to dominate, it may be a blessing in disguise. The smaller the craft, the lower of the cost, which leads to people not caring about losses as much. Additionally, pilot skill is more relevant in dogfights, such that an outnumbered force could possibly even the odds if they are experienced pilots.

Another possibility is that everyone will simply be friendly with each other. Depending on what bonuses are gained from owning territory, it may simply be more profitable to trade with your neighbors as opposed to taking their resources by force. If a mega-alliance is formed, they could easily weigh their collective might against any smaller warmongering faction and put a stop to major conflicts altogether out of fear.

I hope smaller factions will have a way to "stay alive" and not just get roflstomped by larger ones. A large faction has basically nothing to lose when attacking a small faction right? I guess a small faction can always try to offer services or buy protection from a larger faction, time will tell

five

Master endo
I plan to use my military faction RAM Squadron to help out some smaller factions in need of protection

Cavilier210

Master endo
I agree with Narial on that there will be battles. But I think we will not see any PLAYER ORGANISED large scale battles. The only way I see large scale warfare to happen within the first year would be if Captain Jack (Youtuber/Leader of Faction Red Wood Industries) would fake one for the sake of a video (He already does something like a TV series in SE). Also I don't really think that large factions will eat up smaller companies. You can implement companies into factions, but that is more on a freewill base or the companies where meant to unify in the first place.
Jack isn't the leader of the SB RWI faction to my knowledge.

To the topic, I believe it will happen as the game develops. People said it wouldn't happen in Eve, and now burning Jita is a damn holiday for Eve. Other large scale battles happen all the time. The same is true in Atlas. Logistics is the hurdle. Once we have sensors and related mechanics, it will only increase in likelihood.

Outside of various events (either ran by in-game factions or introduced by the Devs via an update of some kind) I don't think we'll see large scale warfare that often - it'll still happen from time to time, but I think the majority of PvP interactions will be small battles between a few ships at most.

The biggest issue with wanting player warfare in my humble opinion is the risk and reward cost for it all - players aren't going to want to risk their high value ships nor their hard earned resources on a battle that grants their factions or themselves little in return.

One potential idea for a way warfare could be naturally induced is maybe giving the factions something to fight over in the form of special space sectors and territory perks.

Something a little small like certain sectors of space being rich in various minerals and resources compared to other places, or maybe members of factions get small helpful bonuses (like extra amounts of resources per chunk of material) whilst in their territory, which gives factions incentive to spread out across space as much as they can.

five

Master endo
I agree there has to be a insentive to fight over. Otherwise we will only have small wars between two 12-year olds who argue wether or not a anime character is hot or not. I am not looking forward to the "Thigh-Tits-War" between "xXReaper69Xx"s and "SwAGzL1keAboss"s factions

Once scrap collectors and other forms of hauling scrap come into play there will be alot more reason to PvP. Big wars are also inevitable it's just a matter of the mechanics existing, pricey as they may be there's already big factions that would attempt to completely eliminate another if the mechanics allowed.

Once scrap collectors and other forms of hauling scrap come into play there will be alot more reason to PvP. Big wars are also inevitable it's just a matter of the mechanics existing, pricey as they may be there's already big factions that would attempt to completely eliminate another if the mechanics allowed.

Hell, we're already trying to eliminate the Collective.