Space mines

well, the lasercannon and railgun could be fairly effective at disabling mines, but that's the age-old problem of the minefield. It sits there as a passive threat, even when you know it's there you only have two options: avoid or sweep. In either case the field is still doing its job of dissuading passage through the field or forcing the intruder to spend time and resources to mitigate the threat. People keep having this misconception that mines are supposed to be used as direct damage systems to attack intruders, which is only the case in arena shooters and RTS games, the actual strategy for deploying mines is denial or delay, which they are very very good at.

Minefields can be hidden in meteorites and asteroids, and camouflaged. In a manner similar to broad-sword mines, they fire rockets to kill enemies. They can be sensed and attacked within 500 meters. The enemy does not even know that the attack came Where.

Wouldn't it a bit better, if there were ships for mining? Like something a driller
It will be blown up without a doubt, because these space broadsword mines do not need physical contact to use sensors to measure the distance to close people, and even mining ships will be instantly blown into space garbage.

Wouldn't it a bit better, if there were ships for mining? Like something a driller
Space broadsword mines can be designed to be blown up by anyone once they are set up and unless the battery is depleted, no one can approach it.

Miners usually use battery power to control the timeliness of temporary minefields. If it is a permanent minefield, then these mines may be perforated with tiny holes to hide the solar cells that are always charging.

FranklinZ

Well-known endo
Space broadsword mines can be designed to be blown up by anyone once they are set up and unless the battery is depleted, no one can approach it.

Miners usually use battery power to control the timeliness of temporary minefields. If it is a permanent minefield, then these mines may be perforated with tiny holes to hide the solar cells that are always charging.
You don't need solar. Time freezes when there is no one around, which means that you can just leave it there for months until your victim shows up.

You don't need solar. Time freezes when there is no one around, which means that you can just leave it there for months until your victim shows up.
Solar permanent minefields can be valid for more than a few months, buddy. They are placed in critical areas and are always patrolled to prevent them from being deleted.

They can work for hundreds of game years without maintenance until the server is shut down, or someone will trigger them.

Space minefields are often placed near important bases, or the only way that the enemy may attack. These minefields will be used to make terrible enemies bypass, so they cannot be designed to be effective for only a few months and then enter Game administrator's trash bin. They must last.

It will be blown up without a doubt, because these space broadsword mines do not need physical contact to use sensors to measure the distance to close people, and even mining ships will be instantly blown into space garbage.
Whoops I didn't know that. Yeah, that would be a big mistake.

Venombrew

Master endo
also consider the field of area around an object in space. we have more than north, west, south, and east but also in all directions. so like Cannon Machine Ballista said, its a way to force enemies around or even away giving quite a bit of security.
1588916540424.png
Green is public traffic you allow into your station for whatever purpose of commerce. red indicates the mine fields above and below your station to get some sort of cover and limiting access to the station. While the yellow represents rejected passage because of the fields.

Attachments

Venombrew

Master endo
round about way if mines become very possible and viable, this would be a great way to increase security around a space station without having to increase player numbers for security. and would allow a more narrow way of attack, or even used to direct flow of an attack to where you want it.

XenoCow

Master endo
Bolt a reciever, rangefinder, and missile rack to some asteroids with a cheap YOLOL chip that just launches the missiles when the rangefinder is tripped, and disables the launcher when a specific transmitter is in range.
Minefields can be hidden in meteorites and asteroids
Why not make the astroids the mines themselves? You could hollow out asteroids, stick a battery, an explosive, and some sensors. The initial explosion doesn't need to destroy the enemies, but the asteroid fragments might do some impact damage and, at the least, make traversing the field difficult to do at speed.

Venombrew

Master endo
Why not make the astroids the mines themselves? You could hollow out asteroids, stick a battery, an explosive, and some sensors. The initial explosion doesn't need to destroy the enemies, but the asteroid fragments might do some impact damage and, at the least, make traversing the field difficult to do at speed.
that would be funny to see but more in the lines of just messing with a person. a good way to use that to ensure someone actually comes across it or so your in range to at least see it, haul a large asteroid close to the safezone but still just a bit far out and do it that way. a asteroid that is close to safe borders will most likely be attempted by someone.

Venombrew

Master endo
Do you think the rock fragments won't have any damaging effect? I was thinking that this could be something used in an asteroid field,
oh not at all, i have no idea if the fragments will have damaging effect, i would assume they do tho. I met in the manners of trying to kill someone to get their ship, outside that, what else would it be used for than just hillarious pranks on a stranger. Some guy mining and unlucky enough to get the 1 asteroid out of millions would be funny as hell, but more funny if you could see it happening at the same time.

XenoCow

Master endo
I don't think they would be so great at actually destroying any ships completely either. But they might slow down a group of ships advancing twards a station. The first ships would be the only one damaged, but you couldn't safely fly through all the rubble that gets created in the wake of the front ships. Even the front ships would likely slow down to carefully fly as far from all asteroids as possible.

MAXD

Veteran endo
I thought about a space mine in StarCraft, the mine will launch a missile to the target(not widow mine, it's the red line one).
I think that may be a trouble to the big slow ships.

A small amount of asteroid debris may not be able to block each other's progress.

The hull can fully withstand a small amount of debris impact.

Too small debris will also be deleted.

It is not a good choice to mine in the open area.

Burnside

Master endo

Put an arming timer on them and set it liberally for the minelayer's benefit.

Jasperagus

Well-known endo
I feel like mines won't be useful in combat but more so in sabotage because the universe is big and trying to get people to run in to stuff is hard. Most people can make it through space in a strait line without hitting any asteroids for the most part. They would be much more useful at a point of intrest like an asteroid, but even for that I'm not sure how it might work.

BadgerBadger

Well-known endo
How about making a missile that only fires it's thruster when something trips a range sensor on it's nose, if there is no directional target acquisition system of guidance system in game you could try rotating via a gyro and have a few extra range detectors.
Unlike a normal mine, players might see it and think they are a safe distance and try and avoid it and then it suddenly wakes up and comes flying right at them.