The downfall of Starbase

rabirland

Learned-to-sprint endo
no tolerance for griefing or social engineering
That was solely for CA to allow people test stations that are a hueg rsource dumps anyway. So peeps like Quevin won't go there, trashes all your ships and your station just so you can retsart from the ground up and might miss some possible bugs. These safe-guard rules were initially stated only for CA that Quevin somehow completelly ignored and interpreted as an all-time law.

quantin

Well-known endo
I applaud you Moneyloo. That was an epic and logical retort to Quevin's silliness.

The game isn't ready. This is abundantly clear. We all know it. Its not a secret. Part of that is that its not even supposed to be. I'm concerned, but doom abd gloom is overboard. Which to be fair is a typically Quevin approach to all things.

These devs have done amazing things and have many more on the horizon. They've done things I haven't seen in other games I've played on a scale that no one thought was even possible. Criticism is due, sure. But we are all on the same team right now with the devs of making a better, more complete and fun game we can bring all our friends too and have a treat time.
Give us who can't get in test that more hope pls.

Before even getting to your points, there’s so many things wrong with this post that I can’t take you seriously unless they are ironed out. Being inconsistent with covering future updates or not, blowing things out of proportion (you could stand on ships, just not entering/exiting the belt. Still an issue, but not a big one) and so many of these complaints will be fixed with new updates already talked about and planned, as well as just having more players. Going on the forums to complain about the game and say it’s doomed because it doesn’t specifically cater to you and your playstyle as an unfinished game.

TGess

Well-known endo
I do agree with most of the poins but well. It was fun being a backseat dev but now we have to just hope they can make it work.

Venombrew

Master endo
i dont know what the big deal with all the doom and gloom cause this game already in alpha stage has broken new heights of ideas and expermentation that you cant find in other sandbox games. the grand scale of what were actually playing in, is at times overwhelming to me. when im on, i spend a lot of time chopping ships and even now after countless ships ive dismantled, im still amazed at how much shit goes into even just a small ship. btw the bolts that hold the structures together are not img files that sit on an object so it looks bolted, these things are like foot long rods holding actual pieces of the ship together. i love it!

Joelfett

Well-known endo
I just believe starbase will be like eve online where the players make their own history, scrap floats until collected, yknow, the whole deal with stuff not despawning and a story being behind everything, that kind of stuff

Venombrew

Master endo
I just believe starbase will be like eve online where the players make their own history, scrap floats until collected, yknow, the whole deal with stuff not despawning and a story being behind everything, that kind of stuff
that is the part a lot of people like about these kind of games, creating your own story. but it wont be 100% that way, the 2 dev factions will be creating and offering content situations(missions, jobs, etc.) that can be available to more than just their faction. and players who run their factions and companies will have very similar abilities, from what they said and shown. gonna be an interesting journey sir.

Dustmuz

Active endo
i havent been in the CA of Starbase, but i have tested a fair amount of other games, both in CA and CB.
The main thing i can see as a potential "problem" in the long aspect of things.
And DO correct me, if i am wrong in terms of how the current state of game is
This is the info i have been able to gather through official links/videos and a friend who is in CA

-Ressources are finite.
The safezone, no matter its size, will be emptied out rather quickly, leaving new players to go into PVP territory just go get started.
i've seen that type tried before, and in the long run, it drove new players away unfortunately.
a few "solutions" to the "problem" could be.
The ressources in SZ will only get you so far. if you need 3 types of ores to make a complete ship, have the SZ contain 1-2 at max, so if people do want to gather their own ressources to build an entire ship, they WILL have to venture into dangerous space.

Asteroids do not respawn at all - This is as i understand, how the CURRENT state of game is
1:As people mine out more and more in an infinite large world. you need to travel even further to get to the asteroids. If there is any outside of the "asteroid belt"
This will for sure drive away some new players, as they are forced to travel several hours in dangerous space, just to get started.

2: As far as i have been able to get info, there is/will be a mission system that you can use to get credits.
This as a new player, in the future, will be a good way to get started. but there is a but.
How long will it at that time, take a new player, to get enough credits to buy a ship capable to go toe-to-toe with someone outside SZ?
if it takes to long, they will loose interest.
In My experience, it should take 2-4 days (12-24 game hours) to be able to refit the laborer with armor and 1-2 guns.
spend more time doing missions, be able to buy better armor

Asteroids in SZ respawns at a random time.
Could be between 1-4 weeks, and required to be mined out completely for the "countdown" to start
Leave a single pice of an asteroid left, and it will not respawn
This gives new players the oportunity to make some money while being safe, and trade their way into the items they need to build a ship.
They will have to put in a lot more time, as they do not know where or when an asteroid is going to respawn.

Now, i can not speak for how the game is exploration wise, as there is not "that much" in there yet.
But from what i can see that there is in the pipeline (roadmap) it seems that there is a good cause to be excited on that front.
even as a casual player, there will be lots of things for you to do.

Now for something else :)
One thing i personally would like to know works.
if you exit the game, outside of the safezone (in current state of game) What happens to your ship? - is it despawned or does it stay in space, so when you log back in, you could potentially be "left without a ship" (that reminds to much of RUST and that type of games, and they dont have a large playerbase for that reason)

The material is finite, yes. However, there are trillions of asteroids. Currently they do replenish, but thats not supposed to be how it works upon release.

The safezone is huge. It takes a minute or two to get to asteroids right now from Origin.

When you logout, regardless of where you are, if you're in your ship, your ship remains. There are a few places where this isn't so (like the pads at Origin) but in general ships are persistent.

Dustmuz

Active endo
The material is finite, yes. However, there are trillions of asteroids. Currently they do replenish, but thats not supposed to be how it works upon release.

The safezone is huge. It takes a minute or two to get to asteroids right now from Origin.

When you logout, regardless of where you are, if you're in your ship, your ship remains. There are a few places where this isn't so (like the pads at Origin) but in general ships are persistent.
Thanks for en info on the ships.
Thats something important to remember once playing the game.

In regards to the asteroids.
As said. In the long run, that will pose a problem for new players.
But then there is the mission system inplace instead. Hopefully.
But i know it is not easy to build a great game.
It takes a lot of trial-and-error to get close to a balanced game.
A game will never be perfectly balanced.
But you can put systems in place to get close.

Just for the fun of it.
How long would it take 10.000 players to mine a trillion asteroids.

Players: 10.000
Asteroids: 1.000.000.000.000
Mined pr day avg: 50 pr player
10.000 x 50 = 500.000 pr day
1.000.000.000.000 / 500.000 = 2.000 days.
So in pure theory. Just over 5 years with the above numbers.

Last edited:

Orlover

Well-known endo
So in pure theory. Just over 5 years with the above numbers.
We were joking around in discord and discussing this a couple months ago. When we laughed about how long it would take one of the devs said "we would just respawn them long before that point, its really easy".

So no, we are not running out of asteroids. But long term I think they want us to start mining gas anyways, and that doesn't run out.

Dustmuz

Active endo
We were joking around in discord and discussing this a couple months ago. When we laughed about how long it would take one of the devs said "we would just respawn them long before that point, its really easy".

So no, we are not running out of asteroids. But long term I think they want us to start mining gas anyways, and that doesn't run out.
hehe okay :D at least its "easy" to restock the universe.
But from a gameplay perspective. i would only respawn a small random area.
let people look for it and work for it.
and if numerous people show up. May the smartest man get the ores :p hehe

but its good to hear that there have been thoughts about it, as it unfortunately not something many actually think about, when developing a game.
which is rather surpricing, that some developers dont think the thought of "where is the game in 5 years.
one of the "worst cases" i've personally seen, was a dev team (only 4 people though) that havent thought where their game should be in 1 year.

Just over 5 years with the above numbers.
Now if i didnt get this wrong since i hear this last year but...
Dont the devs want to add new planets? A whole solarsystem? And im pretty sure that wont take 5 years after the Launch or EA.
We defenetly have enought materials, and with the gases it wont even be finite. Also didnt the Devs also say that they would create new stations if there arent any asteroids for new people to mine?

Jasperagus

Well-known endo
Now if i didnt get this wrong since i hear this last year but...
Dont the devs want to add new planets? A whole solarsystem? And im pretty sure that wont take 5 years after the Launch or EA.
We defenetly have enought materials, and with the gases it wont even be finite. Also didnt the Devs also say that they would create new stations if there arent any asteroids for new people to mine?
I'm not entirely sure but they're planning something for towards the end of the year. I'm pretty sure it's new planets and I heard some stuff about it. Also when it comes to stations the dev plan for players to create them. Although if they want neutral stations under no one's rule they might intervene (I think, don't count on me for this stuff).

Someone might have to make a thread about this but if they do plan to add planets or a way forward would this cause a restart? or would they make like a warp gate+ because I doubt our current warp gates would get us anywhere close to another planet or solar system. This would make sense in a way but maybe I'm overthinking this and they haven't even thought about it.

Dustmuz

Active endo
I'm not entirely sure but they're planning something for towards the end of the year. I'm pretty sure it's new planets and I heard some stuff about it. Also when it comes to stations the dev plan for players to create them. Although if they want neutral stations under no one's rule they might intervene (I think, don't count on me for this stuff).

Someone might have to make a thread about this but if they do plan to add planets or a way forward would this cause a restart? or would they make like a warp gate+ because I doubt our current warp gates would get us anywhere close to another planet or solar system. This would make sense in a way but maybe I'm overthinking this and they haven't even thought about it.
i would love if they did something like this:
Add a new planet, and let the players fly there themselves at first.
Make the stargates at both ends.
time to travel there at max speed (current speed) from closest station/planet - 14 days / 360 hours - make it a "feat of strenght"
and the first one to get there. gets something for it (ex. Naming the planet - a station named after them - some special cosmetic item)
this also makes it so that people might want to work together, to get to some distant areas.
360 hours is a long time. (and yes, i've spendt nearly 250 game hours myself, just flying towards a planet. just to get there)
its a bummer, not much to do, but watch movies/Youtube - read patch notes and what not.. and hope you dont crash underway

Venombrew

Master endo
has anyone heard of talks of them spawning random junkers for scrappers to find? ive heard nothing just thoughts among my social group, got several guys hoping to make some credits that way.

kiiyo

Veteran endo
has anyone heard of talks of them spawning random junkers for scrappers to find? ive heard nothing just thoughts among my social group, got several guys hoping to make some credits that way.
Scrappers could buy up coords of wrecks from say pirates...

Venombrew

Master endo
Scrappers could buy up coords of wrecks from say pirates...
oh theres a lot of ways a person could go about finding wrecks, but i hope they implement a core system that spawns busted ships out in the verse, give scrappers and salvagers a more definite way to stay in business while waiting on said info, also gives them players more of a reason to explore.