The downfall of Starbase

Venombrew

Master endo
Maybe the dev team can address all this stuff in a month's time but it's looking more and more like they'll have to push the release back further, fundamental aspects like pvp not being fully developed before the release is pretty telling of the state of the game.
if you looked at the notes and the article to why they pushed it back, then yo would know pvp has absolutely nothing to do with it. Its more along the line of the quality features and social aspects. Not to mention a very limited info on the tutorials of the game to get new players started was a much bigger concern, since not all new players will have been following the game as closely as the rest of us. They wanted to get the easy build mode added before EA, to again not discourage new players. Features like factory operations. company actions and functions, faction actions and functions, mission applications, auction house, and workable economy to make the launch worth buying. They also wanted enough time to not rush these must needed features in at the last second and launch with horrendous amount of bugs to just drive away players even more.

For over the last five years this game has been in development with their own money, they're not looking to destroy the game by being impatient and releasing it when its not ready just to ruin its name before it even gets a chance to pick up speed.

Just remember, No Man's Sky was dreaded when it first released.
Then the developers stepped up to the plate and made it into a rather commendable game.
Of course, everything here is currently in a closed alpha state. This is also a different company.
We don't know what to expect, but I encourage you to keep your head up. Things will change.

I was intrigued by the game and wanted to checkout how it actually was but comments like these?

That along with the fact that no one bothered actually directly addressing the flaws pointed out seems very worrying. The game has had its release date pushed back by a month yet the same complaints are still being mirrored by more recent forum posts has got my hopes down for this game. Maybe the dev team can address all this stuff in a month's time but it's looking more and more like they'll have to push the release back further, fundamental aspects like pvp not being fully developed before the release is pretty telling of the state of the game.
You may not know this, but the OP has a history of exploiting and pirating in CA. As well as blowing off developer and moderator instructions. Its no surprise that the community is not taking him seriously.

The other posts you reference are also from players who haven't played the game and think they know everything from a few streams and videos.

The game is in nowhere near the bad place some are trying to sell. The team is definitely suffering some setbacks. We all agreed pushing back the release for EA was a good idea. Some features need to be put in place (sensors anyone?). However? Much of the game is just fine and fun. In my opinion.

Venombrew

Master endo
The game is in nowhere near the bad place some are trying to sell. The team is definitely suffering some setbacks. We all agreed pushing back the release for EA was a good idea. Some features need to be put in place (sensors anyone?). However? Much of the game is just fine and fun. In my opinion.
i was actually relieved to hear they decided to push it back another 5-6 weeks. dont get me wrong im in alpha so the game play doesn't technically stop for me, but im the only one out of my whole crew and i want to experience the game with my friends. but, BUT! i want the experience to be memorable one, but also and more importantly enjoyable.

Games that don't have the social fundamentals needed in a game of this type will not last long from launch. People need currency, need guild/companies, factions, interaction, reasons to engage with one another. In another month, we will have proper laid out jobs, tutorials to explain everything for new players, a ready to go auction house and ingame currency. Companies will have full control over their stores, lots, ships, goods, credits, company bank, adding job listings, promoting with ranks and permissions, and the list goes on, same with the faction part, all its little abilities. Flushed out value of ores and materials, the full use of factories, and really importantly an Easy Mode version of ship and station builder. I think that is very important so new players can at least get started and then with experience can move into the full builders to make more technical and advanced ships. Without these things, no matter how good the combat is or isn't, people will lose interest fast.

EDIT: BTW the stuff above i mentioned, figure i note this, a good portion of it is close to being done or on rounding the corner. Next step is to add it in, test it in alpha to get it working before EA to avoid a shit ton of new errors and glitches.

Last edited:

Henkka77

Active endo
The other posts you reference are also from players who haven't played the game and think they know everything from a few streams and videos.
If you are referring him quoting me, sorry to disappoint you but i have been in CA since the launch, played over 300hrs and might have a thought or two about CA state. ;)

Geronimo553

Well-known endo
Just remember, No Man's Sky was dreaded when it first released.
Then the developers stepped up to the plate and made it into a rather commendable game.
*after several years and a billion dollars in revenue.

The truth is, the game is in a playable state sure. But we still have features showcased in 2017 as not part of the game. Much of the game is still in development and FB's track record has been more optimism than result. I still like starbase, I still plan to buy it, but Im not kidding myself about how much of a limited state it is in. If you dont like spending your time mining or in the editor as your core gameplay loop. There is little else for people to do. EA is not going to be this magical all problems solved period. On contrary, it is going to show all the weaknesses all at once to a crowd of people not vested in the game like those early in CA. These people are looking for a new exciting game and one that "is" everything showcased since they paid for it. We dont even have endo customization yet. Just a few armor sets out of the many missing. Lots of people are going to be bored about that fact alone. I wont even get into missing mechanics, lack of faction/company support beyond joining, or the slew of constant building rebalance wrecking ship designs. Like our biggest change to factions has been members showing player names in a separate blue color. Which was a big CA player request for months, originally not planned... Once post EA players learn the game is still more potential than currently implemented, many will be disappointed. I really foresee mass refunds, review bombs, and youtube reviews hamming the game in its current state.

My biggest fear per say in EA would have to be what Lauri has described as rollbacks or resets. Which likely means, FB will not just do a update rebalance for an item or exploit, like currently. Instead they would need to rollback X amount of time undoing the progress of the playerbase to make these changes fit better. I really worry about how that feature will be implemented and its affect on players. Who knows how far back a rollback will be...

Like I have been saying since 2020, the most ideal launch time for starbase will be in 2022. Its the timeline that most suites their development progress speed. Anything earlier than that should be considered a bonus or ahead of schedule. How people interpret that will entirely be up to the individual's expectation.

Last edited: