Piracy and Thievery

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
At this point, gassing this thread is probably a mercy, since it's mostly edgelords going back and forth about theoretically pirating or not pirating in a game that isn't out and no one can play yet.

Huursa

Well-known endo
I think you are failing to recognize the biggest difference between ark/atlas and starbase. In starbase people can be completely mobile, their ship will be their home, whereas in Arklas everyone was forced into making permanent bases that were always attack-able and couldn't feasibly move. This will be HUGELY different in starbase as when you want to log off your "base" (unless you are a mega-corp (to borrow EVE terminology)) you just go to one of the safe starter stations and log off your ship in your rental lot. This means CSTG and the likes will be unable to offline raid bases of people better than them or just overwhelm them with the amount of people they can field over an entire day. This means CSTG's main strat (attack em until they have to sleep) is moot as when someone has to sleep or want to get off for the day they can without fearing that CSTG is going to attack them while they sleep.

Here is a little lesson in warfare for free Huursa: Guerrilla warfare is a form of irregular warfare in which a small group of combatants, such as paramilitary personnel, armed civilians, or irregulars use militarytactics including ambushes, sabotage, raids, pettywarfare, hit-and-run tactics, and mobility, to fight a larger and less-mobile traditional military.

Incase you are wondering what that means I will spell it out for you. In starbase smaller factions will be viable, they won't be forced into having permanent raid-able bases that larger groups like CSTG and the like can exploit. Both types of groups will have their ups and downs but neither will be necessarily superior to the other like in Arklas. What this means is that Starbase is going to be a typical well designed MMO where small highly skilled and organized groups will be able to thrive just as well as large unorganized/unskilled groups like CSTG.
Nop the small tribes tryin to pull up on the big alliances will get slapped around, and u can build stations just not at launch and u cant build ships without a station so those small groups will have to build a permanenet base which can be bombarded to oblivision. Even if small groups base in the safe zone thats even worse cuz what they gon do if the enemy is 5-6 hours away?

NoName

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
Nop the small tribes tryin to pull up on the big alliances will get slapped around, and u can build stations just not at launch and u cant build ships without a station so those small groups will have to build a permanenet base which can be bombarded to oblivision. Even if small groups base in the safe zone thats even worse cuz what they gon do if the enemy is 5-6 hours away?
you know the safe zone stations allow building ships right? Or are you as dumb as you look. Also that is my point, if the big group is 5-6 hours away they pose 0 threat.

Atreties

Veteran endo
u cant build ships without a station
This is incorrect. Stations are not required to build ships. They will make it faster and easier with the use of blueprint system once that's implemented, but you do not need a station at all. They will provide offline protection benefits and such, but won't be a hard requirement like Atlas.

Huursa

Well-known endo
you know the safe zone stations allow building ships right? Or are you as dumb as you look. Also that is my point, if the big group is 5-6 hours away they pose 0 threat.
Thats perfect can build our ships there as well thx for the info

Vampiricdust

Learned-to-turn-off-magboots endo
I am pretty sure you can build anywhere... the station just lets you design the frame's bluprint

XCompWizFB (5/28/19): OK, so the main thing to keep building areas "uncluttered" is lots. You rent a lot. You then get rights to use the station designer in that lot and lay out your blueprints. You can then, with the help of your friend if desired, fill out the blueprint with materials.
You need a station for the designer & blueprint features I think, but if you make each part and bolt it together, then you can do so from anywhere.

Interesting thread .... seems to have a few Atlas big bois here. In my opinion they are partially what caused the current failure that is Atlas. So many of the big clans had a join or die mentality. The solo players and smaller clans just simply didn't have a chance against them. Grape Shot readily accommodated this thinking with easy to attack and difficult to defend mechanics. Factor in the taming/breeding, blue print, character level bonuses and unless you had many, many people out farming SOTD ships and treasure maps you quite simply had no chance against even a single ship or player. Nothing like getting a head shot and moving someones health bar a miniscule amount due to their health bonuses and mythic armor. They turn around and hit you with their mythic carbine and your dead. Zero chance. Ships are the same, massive cannon bonuses, plank bonuses, sail bonuses and ship levels make it silly to fight. RUN FOREST ........ not so fast as you have just been harpooned and are unable to move while they finish you off. Atlas has completely lost the "skill" aspect of PvP, it's all about gear and levels.

My point is the power gap between new players, solos, small clans and the big bois is so substantial in Atlas it makes the game not fun. Makes it impossible to defend yourself and what is yours. I do hope Starbase does not follow this mentality and keeps the small clan/solo players in mind when implementing game mechanics.

That's what I've been arguing, if you don't take solo and new player expirence into account the game will fail. If you let it devolve into complete anarchy and piracy only the largest groups will prevail until they have nothing left to cannibalize but themselves and then they'll quit. Look at Atlas/Worlds Adrift/Starmade/Emperyion.

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
The solo and new player experience is staying in the safe zone where they belong.
Attitudes like this are why games die tbh.

If you don't cater to your solo, new, and small group players to some degree, your game dries up. The few dozen hardcore fans posting on the forums here shouldn't give you a false impression of how the game should logically develop and hopefully the devs won't take it to heart.

Atreties

Veteran endo
That's what I've been arguing, if you don't take solo and new player expirence into account the game will fail. If you let it devolve into complete anarchy and piracy only the largest groups will prevail until they have nothing left to cannibalize but themselves and then they'll quit. Look at Atlas/Worlds Adrift/Starmade/Emperyion.
Look at EVE/Rust/Ark.

I agree that new player experience needs to be decent. Starbase addresses that, heavily. Theres a 3 hour radius fully safe zone around starter areas, and the 2 main dev factions have a natural, game-guided place for solos. There will be missions to expand Empire and Kindom territory outside of and bordering the safe zones. These will naturally provide safety in numbers to a multitude of solos, allowing them to ease naturally out of full safeness into the equivalent of low-security space.

Most of the big groups will position themselves far from the safezones, claiming whatever territory they consider most valuable.

Starbase is already doing more than enough to address new player and solo experiences being potentially too harsh or unforgiving.

Talla

Learned-to-sprint endo
Look at EVE/Rust/Ark.
Starbase is already doing more than enough to address new player and solo experiences being potentially too harsh or unforgiving.
Human beings are, in a way, specialized machines at finding ways to exploit/profit from every situation.
Just wait until we reach Early Access :)

It's nice seeing devs tackling those problems early on,
but most probably, that will not be enough.

I'm just wondering, how organized will the Empire & Kingdom be if they fill the roles of PUGs? (Pickup group)
I just hope we avoid "fragmentation" of factions for as long as possible.
Else the game will become too complicated for the average player, and slowly steer towards "Shoot-on-sight" survival gameplay.

Last edited:

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
Human beings are, in a way, specialized machines at finding ways to exploit/profit from every situation.
Just wait until we reach Early Access :)

It's nice seeing devs to tackle those problems early on,
but most probably, that will not be enough.

I'm just wondering, how organized will the Empire & Kingdom be if they fill the roles of PUGs?
I just hope we avoid "fragmentation" of factions for as long as possible.
Else the game will become too complicated for the average player, and slowly steer towards "Shoot-on-sight" survival gameplay.
Empire and Kingdom will probably run similarly to NPC/default corps in EVE -- as in they won't function at all for any real purpose. Most of the player orgs will split off as soon as possible and won't look back. Empire/Kingdom won't work as a functioning empire for a LOT of reasons. Relying on them as a core component of the new player experience probably isn't wise.

Atreties

Veteran endo
Empire and Kingdom will probably run similarly to NPC/default corps in EVE -- as in they won't function at all for any real purpose. Most of the player orgs will split off as soon as possible and won't look back. Empire/Kingdom won't work as a functioning empire for a LOT of reasons. Relying on them as a core component of the new player experience probably isn't wise.
Not at all. Empire and Kingdom are already heavily tied to game lore, marketing, social media engagement, and most importantly, they are not NPCs. They will be led and organized by humans. Empire will be led by the CEO and Kingdom by another one of the higher-ups.

Could they end up not fulfilling their purpose? Sure. But a direct comparison to the default NPC corps from EVE is simply a terrible comparison.

Kimsemus

Well-known endo
Not at all. Empire and Kingdom are already heavily tied to game lore, marketing, social media engagement, and most importantly, they are not NPCs. They will be led and organized by humans. Empire will be led by the CEO and Kingdom by another one of the higher-ups.

Could they end up not fulfilling their purpose? Sure. But a direct comparison to the default NPC corps from EVE is simply a terrible comparison.
Yeah, I'm aware of the pitch. Enter EVE 2003 -- literally the same thing. If you think a couple default factions, even if lead by a dev, are going to end in anything but hilarity and tears pretty much from the onset, boy do I have news for you lol

It's a completely valid comparison because they're the same thing, serve a similar function, and as the default, will not work for the same reason EVE NPC corps don't work. There is no incentive for players to work together, no quality control, no vetting, no enforced rules or doctrines, and no real reason for any player to pull together with another.

Huursa

Well-known endo

If the devs lead the factions that will be cheatin cuz they got inside info on whats gon be released next and gon hav advantage over the other factions, especially how the devs think about spawnin items to give them to a police force made out of players that will get exploited so bad its gon turn into kit donation force.